• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I Just Want the Excitement Back ...

booradley

Reaction score
So, OK. I attended WFU during the Timmy Duncan days. I made every home game during CP3's reign. When UNC came into town during those eras, they would start screaming "Go Heels!" before the National Anthem was over. Because they were SCARED, man. They were scared. Those games, plus the Duke encounters, were among the best sporting memories I have. So electric! I have no personal hatred toward Jeff, but it is clear he isn't the one to bring those halcyon days back. My 2 cents: cut him loose. I hate to stab one of our own in the back, but it's clear this shit just ain't working. 'k, I'll shut up now ...

So, OK. I attended WFU during the Timmy Duncan days. I made every home game during CP3's reign. When UNC came into town during those eras, they would start screaming "Go Heels!" before the National Anthem was over. Because they were SCARED, man. They were scared. Those games, plus the Duke encounters, were among the best sporting memories I have. So electric! I have no personal hatred toward Jeff, but it is clear he isn't the one to bring those halcyon days back. My 2 cents: cut him loose. I hate to stab one of our own in the back, but it's clear this shit just ain't working. 'k, I'll shut up now ...

Good stuff!!

Dino was "one of our own". This loser is just a crony hire that has never belonged and never will.

Last edited:
Excellent post. We need a new coach and one or two really good recruits, like Rodney Rogers type good.

Jeff [Redacted] never was, isn't currently, and will never be a Deac. He doesn't embrace this university at all.

I've been "fortunate" to have been given tickets to the 3 home games this year. I can truly say that there is almost zero atmosphere at the Joel. Granted 2 games were over the holiday break but the BB being played is just unexciting. I left the last game saying "it's just not fun anymore". I'm NOT a Wake alum but rather a long time supporter. I'll watch a game, win or lose, until the very end. I've not given up on Football because JG has taken the program so far (and I'm hoping the last couple of years are just down years and not the norm) but this is the first year that I just don't really care about basketball. The thing about me is I'm not a bandwagon fan and won't start to get interested again just because (or if) they start winning. I think Buzz has single handedly turned me off forever with the BB program, which is sad. It's like losing a friend that you had so many memories with.

The day after the Texas NCAA game, we had to be at the hospital at 6AM for my wife's surgery. I stayed up until the end, screamed when Ish hit the shot to win the game, woke up my wife from the noise and was so excited that it was another hour before I could fall asleep. The next day, I was so happy that I barely noticed was on < 4hr of sleep.

Thanks, Bzzz.

The day after the Texas NCAA game, we had to be at the hospital at 6AM for my wife's surgery. I stayed up until the end, screamed when Ish hit the shot to win the game, woke up my wife from the noise and was so excited that it was another hour before I could fall asleep. The next day, I was so happy that I barely noticed was on < 4hr of sleep.

Thanks, Bzzz.

Yup. I wooke my wife up after Ish hit the shot so excited, she thought someone had broken in to the house. Nothing now. My only reaction was "oh we already played, thought the game was at 8."

I still watch and still care and if a coaching change comes along then so be it. The one takeaway from the Richmond game is how good 4 of the frosh looked. Madison and Codi look like they're solid with the ball and could form a very nice backcourt for the future. Tree is demonstrating skills in lots of areas and should be getting more minutes. He's a catalyst bringing more energy when he's in. Devin showed some moves to the hoop we hadn't seen before and looks like he could be a reliable FT shooter after a slow start.

Cav at least looks like a fundamental player although in a normal talent situation shouldn't be playing much this year. Moto looks like a solid athlete who can develop skills over time. Seems to me that with CJ lost in a fog his minutes should be cut, and Chase has no role except as a zone buster with Madison and Codi looking good. I'm just watching to see how much these guys improve and if they can find ways to steal some ACC wins. Kind of like it was in the Staak years.

Last edited:
I've been "fortunate" to have been given tickets to the 3 home games this year. I can truly say that there is almost zero atmosphere at the Joel. Granted 2 games were over the holiday break but the BB being played is just unexciting. I left the last game saying "it's just not fun anymore". I'm NOT a Wake alum but rather a long time supporter. I'll watch a game, win or lose, until the very end. I've not given up on Football because JG has taken the program so far (and I'm hoping the last couple of years are just down years and not the norm) but this is the first year that I just don't really care about basketball. The thing about me is I'm not a bandwagon fan and won't start to get interested again just because (or if) they start winning. I think Buzz has single handedly turned me off forever with the BB program, which is sad. It's like losing a friend that you had so many memories with.

I feel exactly the same way you do. Great post and so true. Even though I think the freshman are gonna be pretty good players, there have been a few times when there was a game on and I just completely forgot and just didn't even care. It used to be great going to "The Loop" during the coaches shows and talking crap to UNC, Duke and State fans. You know a Duke fan at my work used to tell me that he hated when Duke played in Winston because he knew Duke was in for a fight. Not so much anymore. Bzzz has brought everything so far down that people don't really even talk crap to me about Wake because frankly they just don't even care because Wake is so irrelevant. I know this program can and should do better in basketball. I'm not asking to go to a Final Four every year (although that would be great), I just want the excitement back, the fans back, and for us to have a coach to be excited about. I don't have season tickets so there's no way I should be able to just walk into the Joel and sit 3 or 4 rows up from the floor with my kids because the damn place is so empty. I also don't have anything against Buzz but he has got to go. Is this what it felt like in the 80's under Staak? This program is so far out of reach of the fans and the Winston-Salem community that I truly believe it's gonna take some time to get people back into the Joel in numbers and Football is heading that way too.

I know people already said it, but [Redacted] is not "one of our own". He has gone to great lengths, probably unintentionally, to make sure that isn't the case with the way he's acted in the press (and being a lousy basketball coach doesn't help).

I know people already said it, but [Redacted] is not "one of our own". He has gone to great lengths, probably unintentionally, to make sure that isn't the case with the way he's acted in the press (and being a lousy basketball coach doesn't help).

Considering his history, I'd say he's just more of a nomadic scavenger. Going from program to program milking the money, with little to no positive results until the pressure just forces him to scavenge elsewhere. I don't think he's ever really been a part of any program.

I posted something similar a few months back - I am mid-40s with a demanding job and very active family with 3 kids (all who love WFU for the record). Finding the time to go to games or even watching them on TV is challenging, but I always found a way to make it / see it before (even if it was on the DVR or ESPN3). But I checked out on Buzz when he started blaming the players and the fans in year 1. I left the program completely at the end of last year when Wellman went on the radio/TV repeatedly to tell us how excited he was about Buzz taking the program in the right direction.

Now, I don’t even look at the schedule and the only way I know we have a game is when I see the game thread on the WFU board. I sincerely miss hanging on every possession and caring about the outcome of the games – as if they actually meant something in the real world. I will be back, but not until the day after Buzz is replaced.

Back