• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I really have no where else to bitch about this...

What's the technically correct way then?? I need to knoes so I can be pretentious!

dictionary.com gives either pronunciation as appropriate/correct. i realize that dictionary.com is not the end-all/be-all. but it's something.

dictionary.com gives either pronunciation as appropriate/correct. i realize that dictionary.com is not the end-all/be-all. but it's something.

Le'sigh, I didn't want to have leave ogboards to find out something.

That's weird though, so you just kinda ignore the E?

This brings up an interesting point about grammar, spelling, and pronunciation. Though I am a grammarian by profession, I've come to support the notion that seeing as how language is already an imperfect means of communicating experience that the most important part of effective communication is adequately getting your point across. Sure, some mistakes are more annoying than others, but as long as points are communicated, the "proper" is somewhat of a misnomer. Correctness is as simple as getting your point across, at least in today's bastardized version of the English language.

This brings up an interesting point about grammar, spelling, and pronunciation. Though I am a grammarian by profession, I've come to support the notion that seeing as how language is already an imperfect means of communicating experience that the most important part of effective communication is adequately getting your point across. Sure, some mistakes are more annoying than others, but as long as points are communicated, the "proper" is somewhat of a misnomer. Correctness is as simple as getting your point across, at least in today's bastardized version of the English language.

U cld undrstd ths butt no1 wld say its curect

U cld undrstd ths butt no1 wld say its curect

Actually that's somewhat of a case in point, District. I choose somewhere between all caps, seventh grade text message language, and Oxford grammar when I make posts. In my professional life, I follow the books. Depends on what the situation calls for. Language is a tool, and should be used as such to fit one's needs.

Correctness is as simple as getting your point across, at least in today's bastardized version of the English language.

That's why we call it vulgar.

I'm with you on this point. As long as what you say gets your point across, I am not particularly picky about how you do it.

Townie, on pronunciation, where do you come out on Americanized pronunciation of foreign words? For example, Giada de laurentis is forever saying "ree-COH-ta" and "pahn-CHAY-tuh" instead of American pronunciations, but then she refers to Florence as Florence instead of Firenze.

"ar-hen-TEEN-ya"
"MAY-he-co"
Are other favorites from that lady on jeopardy 15 years ago.

Back