• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iconic NYC music venues then and now

I was never at Studio 54.

A band I produced played CBGB. I think they may have played The Bottom Line as well.

I've also been to Mudd, Palaidium and Ritz. I had some fun nights at Danceteria.

Limelight was wilder than wild in the mid-80s. They even had "private rooms" if you knew about them.

I was never at Studio 54.

A band I produced played CBGB. I think they may have played The Bottom Line as well.

I've also been to Mudd, Palaidium and Ritz. I had some fun nights at Danceteria.

Limelight was wilder than wild in the mid-80s. They even had "private rooms" if you knew about them.

which band?

my folks saw tons and tons of shows at the filmore east and electric circus

I had been to a couple of those places:

Southpaw - saw Dan Bern there.
Brownies, I think I saw Galaxy 500 there
Bottom Line
Knitting Factory, I think I saw Buffalo Tom there
Wetlands
CBGBs - some shit band

Knitting Factory but no Village Vanguard?

Oh well, probably no one cares anyway.

The Wetlands was the coolest place in the world for me and my friends as teenagers. It was pretty much all jambands. They had an upstairs stage and a basement stage where bands would play to like 10 fans. Robert Randolph and the Family Band was probably the most famous band I saw there. Ominous Seapods, Moon Boot Lover, moe. They were all cheesy bands but it was fun.

A golf buddy of mine (older than me) has told me tales of going to CBGBs straight from work in a suit during the 70s. Sounds like he saw many of the punk, new wave, art, etc bands of that era.

I went to the BottomnLine many times, palladium, limelight, and of course CBGB.

Also I went to Studion54 during the it time, definitely an experience

Read last month that The Back Fence on Bleecker is closing this fall. The Village Gate is gone, Cafe Au Go Go long gone, but Cafe Wha? and The Bitter End are still operating. I spent many evenings in those joints from '66-'70.

Back