• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If I were seeding the NCAA Tourney Today - Top 4 lines UTTER CHAOS

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
This is a very strange year. Usually there are 5-8 teams that can make legitimate claims for a #1 seed. This year only two really deserve it. Another anomaly is that there is an enormous amount of talent this year, but not many very good teams.

This could easily due to conference tournies.

#1 SEEDS:

Florida- either the best or second best team in the country- Has Patric Young been there ten years?
Wichita State-see above-made Final Four last year, returned four starters and went undefeated
Louisville- Won NC, returned several starters getting hot at right time
DukeAssuming they beat UNC and win ACCT

#2 SEEDS

Arizona -great talent- soft as a Dairy Queen cone in Vegas in August
Kansas- probably the most talent but hasn't played like a team-lost questionable games
Syracuse could be in free fall if they don't beat UVA. If they don't make it to ACCT Final #3 seed
San Diego State if they don't win conference tourney could be #5 seed

#3 SEEDS

St Louistough as nails
CreightonHas best non-frosh in country (Smart is a better pro prospect-not a better college player)-experience
UNCOn a burner-stays here if they make ACCT Final
CinciNeeds to make tourney final to stay here

#4 SEEDS

UVAWill likely lost to Cuse and in ACCT. If they beat Cuse and make ACCT Final-they rise to #2 Seed
Nova would be #2 Seed if they could have beaten Creighton
Michigan State getting healthy- would have been #1 Seed without all the injuries
KY if they make it to SEC Finals-If they beat FL could be as high as #2

Last edited:
As much fun as the Billkens' season has been for its fans, and I'm one as they're my #1-A favorite team, I think they're a little sketchy when it comes to a 3 seed. They play great defense, and have really good quickness in the backcourt, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them lose in the Round of 32.

They're very weak at the 3 and don't have a frontcourt player who can take someone off the bounce. Only their two 6'1 guards can slash to the glass. Granted, one of those two is Jordair Jett aka "JJ The Jet Plane" who is a beast of an athlete and can finish against anyone. Still, they're a weak three point and FT shooting team and I think they'll make a disappointing early exit in the tourney.

I think many of the Top 4 seeds could lose early this year.

As much fun as the Billkens' season has been for its fans, and I'm one as they're my #1-A favorite team, I think they're a little sketchy when it comes to a 3 seed. They play great defense, and have really good quickness in the backcourt, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them lose in the Round of 32.

They're very weak at the 3 and don't have a frontcourt player who can take someone off the bounce. Only their two 6'1 guards can slash to the glass. Granted, one of those two is Jordair Jett aka "JJ The Jet Plane" who is a beast of an athlete and can finish against anyone. Still, they're a weak three point and FT shooting team and I think they'll make a disappointing early exit in the tourney.

still defending [Redacted] you dumbass?

Why did you title the thread about seeding the tournament as of today and then base your picks off of predictions for their future?

I know it's your seeding, but I find it hard to believe Wisconsin isn't up here. They had a rough stretch mid season, but have beet four teams on your list, and have looked pretty good of late. They have as many or more quality wins than anyone up there. Just curious to see where you think they fall.

Your two seeds may be better than the one seeds. Not saying it wouldn't fall out that way but I'd be in on the two seeds.

The AAC is too weak given Louisville's OOC strength of schedule. They probably can't move above the three line even if they win out.

UNC can't really be a 3, can they?

I don't think they will, but they could if they only drop one more game. That would mean they beat Duke again or win the ACC Tournament. They probably have the best 4 wins of any team in country. I think they pobably end up 5 or 6 seed.

UNC can't really be a 3, can they?

They're 5-1 against ranked teams and haven't lost in a month. They are 0.800 against the top five generally and 0.500 when playing the #1 team in the country on the road.

If you believe "Who'd you beat, where'd you play?", UNC might have the most quality wins of any team in NCAA tournament history. They're 4-0 against the preseason AP poll top 4. That's not bad, in the sense that's it's a first in the fifty year history of the poll.

It depends on how much stock you put in gawd awful losses. I think when those losses occur matter significantly. Frankly, nine wins in a row in conference (including two ranked teams) is more indicative of how a team will play than what they did in December, good or bad.

Last edited:
I get all that. Those losses tho...

Sorry, I was editing that b/c I realized I hadn't addressed it. It comes down to timing for me. The Michigan State win isn't as good as it looked at the time with the benefit of hindsight. They've got three of our left on the road, and a pretty clear path to the #4 seed in the ACCT (unless somehow they can clip Dook in SCAMeron).

The Belmont loss was mystifying. They had an eight point lead with 90 seconds left, and just collapsed. The UAB loss was the real head scratcher. Losing to a Texas team that has sprung back to life look better in hindsight, and their only other bad loss was against the master tactician who built the foundation for modern day Buffalo hoops (eta: Sorry, the Miami loss was also pretty bad. I went to that game, still trying to block it out). The point is, they haven't had a bad loss in a month, they haven't had any losses in a month.

Last edited:
This is a very strange year. Usually there are 5-8 teams that can make legitimate claims for a #1 seed. This year only two really deserve it. Another anomaly is that there is an enormous amount of talent this year, but not many very good teams.

This could easily due to conference tournies.

#1 SEEDS:

Florida- either the best or second best team in the country- Has Patric Young been there ten years?
Wichita State-see above-made Final Four last year, returned four starters and went undefeated
Louisville- Won NC, returned several starters getting hot at right time
DukeAssuming they beat UNC and win ACCT

#2 SEEDS

Arizona -great talent- soft as a Dairy Queen cone in Vegas in August
Kansas- probably the most talent but hasn't played like a team-lost questionable games
Syracuse could be in free fall if they don't beat UVA. If they don't make it to ACCT Final #3 seed
San Diego State if they don't win conference tourney could be #5 seed

#3 SEEDS

St Louistough as nails
CreightonHas best non-frosh in country (Smart is a better pro prospect-not a better college player)-experience
UNCOn a burner-stays here if they make ACCT Final
CinciNeeds to make tourney final to stay here

#4 SEEDS

UVAWill likely lost to Cuse and in ACCT. If they beat Cuse and make ACCT Final-they rise to #2 Seed
Nova would be #2 Seed if they could have beaten Creighton
Michigan State getting healthy- would have been #1 Seed without all the injuries
KY if they make it to SEC Finals-If they beat FL could be as high as #2

If the season ended today Arizona would be at worst the #2 overall seed.

I think Florida, Arizona and Wichita State might need to each lose 2 games down the stretch to not be on the 1 line. The 4th number one spot is up for grabs. Whoever it is probably needs to run the table through their conference tourney. Probably among Louisville, Duke, Syracuse, and Kansas.

Since I posted this last week there has been utter chaos:

Cuse got spanked by UVA
Louisville lost to Memphis
Kansas lost to OK ST
St. Louis lost twice
San Diego State lost
Michigan State lost
Kentucky lost to a terrible South Carolina team

I can't remember a season like this. Usually there are more teams trying to get to #1 or #2 than are dropping like flies.

Back