• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If I were the AD I would...

Deac94

Reaction score
OK. I’m throwing my hat in the ring to be Wake’s next AD (kidding, of course!). Here’s my plan (note that I believe that Wake is trying to do some of these things already - how effectively they are doing them is another question).

If I were the AD I would…

#1: Encourage a culture of INNOVATION and creativity. The football program especially needs to do more with less, so I would apply Moneyball concepts wherever possible. On the recruiting front I’d try different recruiting tactics, pursue nontraditional sources of talent and perhaps install schemes on the field that went against prevailing trends. Per macktheknife's suggestion I'm requiring everyone in a management position to attend seminars and get training in how, everyday, smaller, smarter, and more agile companies kick the shit out of large, calcified, stuck in the mud large companies.

#2: I would make a significant one-time FINANCIAL INVESTMENT in athletics. However, my first priority would be to increase staffing levels. I would ask the head coaches whether they wanted their recruiting staffs doubled, tripled or quadrupled. I’d also try to determine what other support roles could help have a direct impact on on-field performance. Only to the extent that I had money left over, I would invest in upgrading facilities to try and keep up with the Joneses as best I could. I’d start with high-end dormitories for the athletes.

#3: Instill ACCOUNTABILITY for on-field results. I would set clear goals for on-field performance and if those aren’t achieved the head coach would be dismissed. Would they need to be short-term goals like 2-3 years? No. But there would be a set timeline and zero tolerance for not meeting them.

#4: Invest heavily in MARKETING, including SOCIAL MEDIA. We can’t sell winning in the revenue sports right now, so let’s do anything we can to portray Wake Athletics as a first-class organization in everything we do and a program with the “It” factor. We need a new athletics brand and a fresh image. Let’s develop one.

#5: I would do anything that I could to EXPAND THE FAN BASE. We need every fan that we can get, so my message from Day 1 is that every fan is valued and wanted. Whether you give $1 million dollars or just occasionally attend a game. Whether you have a degree from Wake or not. Even if you fly a banner to try to get me fired. We need every fan we can get or we will never sell the revenue sports to recruits. So I want everyone on board.

#6: I would hire head coaches that intended to recruit high character kids that are attracted to Wake for more than athletics. This makes the recruiting path more difficult, but history has shown us that kids that are only interested in athletics often leave Wake before they are any good. So we need to find a specific kind of kid (oh, and we can’t let them go to Duke), and that’s why #1 through #5 above are critical. I would spend two-thirds of my recruiting resources regionally and one-third nationally. My expectation is that my recruiting offices would leave no stone unturned. I’d want to be ranked #1 in the country in terms of the number of recruits evaluated.

What I wouldn’t do…

I wouldn’t recruit kids with character questions or who are focused solely on athletics (see above)

I wouldn’t meddle in decisions about assistant coaches or coordinators

I wouldn’t change the policy about guaranteeing 4 year scholarships. I can’t sell a Wake degree to recruits if they think there’s a risk they will get shown the door if they don’t perform athletically.

What am I missing from my list? What would you do differently?

Last edited:
Attend seminars and get training in how, everyday, smaller, smarter, and more agile companies kick the shit out of large, calcified, stuck in the mud large companies. Surround myself with smart people who aren't out to keep their jobs by boss worship.

OK. I’m throwing my hat in the ring to be Wake’s next AD (kidding, of course!). Here’s my plan (note that I believe that Wake is trying to do some of these things already - how effectively they are doing them is another question).

If I were the AD I would…

#1: Encourage a culture of INNOVATION and creativity. The football program especially needs to do more with less, so I would apply Moneyball concepts wherever possible. On the recruiting front I’d try different recruiting tactics, pursue nontraditional sources of talent and perhaps install schemes on the field that went against prevailing trends.

#2: I would make a significant one-time FINANCIAL INVESTMENT in athletics. However, my first priority would be to increase staffing levels. I would ask the head coaches whether they wanted their recruiting staffs doubled, tripled or quadrupled. I’d also try to determine what other support roles could help have a direct impact on on-field performance. Only to the extent that I had money left over, I would invest in upgrading facilities to try and keep up with the Joneses as best I could. I’d start with high-end dormitories for the athletes.

#3: Instill ACCOUNTABILITY for on-field results. I would set clear goals for on-field performance and if those aren’t achieved the head coach would be dismissed. Would they need to be short-term goals like 2-3 years? No. But there would be a set timeline and zero tolerance for not meeting them.

#4: Invest heavily in MARKETING, including SOCIAL MEDIA. We can’t sell winning in the revenue sports right now, so let’s do anything we can to portray Wake Athletics as a first-class organization in everything we do and a program with the “It” factor. We need a new athletics brand and a fresh image. Let’s develop one.

#5: I would do anything that I could to EXPAND THE FAN BASE. We need every fan that we can get, so my message from Day 1 is that every fan is valued and wanted. Whether you give $1 million dollars or just occasionally attend a game. Whether you have a degree from Wake or not. Even if you fly a banner to try to get me fired. We need every fan we can get or we will never sell the revenue sports to recruits. So I want everyone on board.

#6: I would hire head coaches that intended to recruit high character kids that are attracted to Wake for more than athletics. This makes the recruiting path more difficult, but history has shown us that kids that are only interested in athletics often leave Wake before they are any good. So we need to find a specific kind of kid (oh, and we can’t let them go to Duke), and that’s why #1 through #5 above are critical. I would spend two-thirds of my recruiting resources regionally and one-third nationally. My expectation is that my recruiting offices would leave no stone unturned. I’d want to be ranked #1 in the country in terms of the number of recruits evaluated.

What I wouldn’t do…

I wouldn’t recruit kids with character questions or who are focused solely on athletics (see above)

I wouldn’t meddle in decisions about assistant coaches or coordinators

I wouldn’t change the policy about guaranteeing 4 year scholarships. I can’t sell a Wake degree to recruits if they think there’s a risk they will get shown the door if they don’t perform athletically.

What am I missing from my list? What would you do differently?

Sounds good. Let's do it.

Attend seminars and get training in how, everyday, smaller, smarter, and more agile companies kick the shit out of large, calcified, stuck in the mud large companies. Surround myself with smart people who aren't out to keep their jobs by boss worship.

This is definitely the right thought process.

Yes! I'm stealing this and adding it to my platform.

What I wrote has more of a football focus, and I don’t venture into the basketball threads (where I’m sure this has been discussed extensively), so honest questions here. What is the path forward on the basketball front for the next AD?

The challenges are well known. The fanbase isn’t going to be happy with anything less than consistent NCAA tourney appearances with Sweet 16s and Elite 8s sprinkled in. Increasingly it seems like the only path to accomplishing that is by recruiting at least one top 50 type talent every year. However, it’s unlikely that many top 50-type recruits are going to be attracted to Wake’s academics or small school appeal, and if they do they will probably end up at Duke. Any attempt to innovate and take the program in a direction other than attracting Top 50 recruits runs the risk of ending up like the [name redacted] era (and one of those was enough).

So is the to-do list for the next AD literally “get basketball head coach with enough charisma and star power to attract Top 50 talent”? Or do you literally try to become the Wisconsin of the South? Or model after some other program?

Last edited:
What I wrote has more of a football focus, and I don’t venture into the basketball threads (where I’m sure this has been discussed extensively), so honest questions here. What is the path forward on the basketball front for the next AD?

The challenges are well known. The fanbase isn’t going to be happy with anything less than consistent NCAA tourney appearances with Sweet 16s and Elite 8s sprinkled in. Increasingly it seems like the only path to accomplishing that is by recruiting at least one top 50 type talent every year. However, it’s unlikely that many top 50-type recruits are going to be attracted to Wake’s academics or small school appeal, and if they do they will probably end up at Duke. Any attempt to innovate and take the program in a direction other than attracting Top 50 recruits runs the risk of ending up like the [name redacted] era (and one of those was enough).

So is the to-do list for the next AD literally “get basketball head coach with enough charisma and star power to attract Top 50 talent”? Or do you literally try to become the Wisconsin of the South? Or model after some other program?

Yes.

I'd put #3 at the top. Challenge everyone to do a better job. As for #2, I'd spend the money where and when it's needed. If a coach comes back from a seminar with a game changing idea, we'll need the resources to put it into action. I'm thinking of VR systems for the QBs (reading defenses and such), state of the art treatment systems for the medical staff, send coaches out to more HS to build relationships all over our recruiting area and attend more camps.

Doesn't Wake use that simulator program that's like an upgraded EA NCAA Football game?

How does the staff use analytics on the field and in recruiting?

Wellman is immortal.

He'll never retire. He'll never resign. He'll never be fired.

He's a vampire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were Wellman I wouldn't retire either. He gets credit from me for recognizing years ago that Wake would make him and his family millionaires for very little in return. Seriously, other than winning Powerball, is there an easier path to the good life than being the Wake AD? Part of me hates to pile on, as I'm sure he's a decent person. But as an alum and DC member, at times I feel very much like I'm getting played. Enough is enough.

I'd do whatever I could to annoy the fans. Oh wait ...

I agree with everything 94 except the no meddling. After 2 to 3 years of non performance at certain positions, the AD needs to demand some changes. I wish Wellman had insisted that Lobo be replaced after 2 years as OC; it was that obvious. Unfortunately he lasted another 9 years. At some point the man in charge needs to step in.

Regarding making each fan feel important: the other night I ordered a bottled water for my wife in the Deacon Tower. I was told that they had no bottled water so the girl proceeded to fill up a cup from the tap and charged me $4.00. I asked if she was kidding and she said no, so I paid. That really pissed me off, in view of the amount of money I give each year.

paying 4$ for bottled water is bad enough buy for tap water? come on...

Back