• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If the GOP holds the Senate, should Obama

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
If the GOP holds the Senate, should Obama make a recess appointment of Garland or another nominee? Additionally, should he make recess appointments for a portion of or every empty federal judgeship that the GOP has obstructed on an historic level?

Once the Senate closes its session, he absolutely has the constitutional right to do this. They will have to close the session to be able to seat the newly elected Senators. Even if it's only for one day, they do have to close the session. During that day or during a minute of being out of session, he could 100% legally do it.

The appointments would only last until the end of the next session. So maybe, it should only be the Supreme Court and a few of the most important vacancies.

Hillary could negotiate make them permanent versus a series of Oval Office speeches about the Senate putting the nation at risk and into an unprecedented constitutional crisis.

Sure. He should also print 18 one trillion dollar coins and pay off the national debt. Next, he should drop tactical nukes on those foreign countries who have slighted him (starting with the Philippines).

Lastly, he should use a raffle system to pardon 25% of federal criminals to alleviate overcrowding.

F the constitution.

PS, I think trying to do reparations during this time might be an overreach.

I thought recess appointments couldn't be made if Congress was in session. The Republicans have left someone behind, for all breaks, to gavel in every day and keep Obama from making recess appointments.

Obama should pull Garland if Dems take the Senate and allow Hillary to nominate a 26 year-old super liberal to repay the Republicans.

The GOP is going to hold the Senate. It will either be 53-47 GOP....52-48 GOP....or 51-49 GOP.

Pennsylvania, Nevada & Indiana are the 3 key races out of the 8 most competitive ones.

Rubio, Ayotte, Blount & Burr win for the GOP. That gets them to 50.

Feingold wins for the Democrats. That gets them to 47.

you're going to be one sad puppy come Wednesday morning Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I thought recess appointments couldn't be made if Congress was in session. The Republicans have left someone behind, for all breaks, to gavel in every day and keep Obama from making recess appointments.

Obama should pull Garland if Dems take the Senate and allow Hillary to nominate a 26 year-old super liberal to repay the Republicans.

They have to close down in order to seat the new people. They can't be open with people who have lost their seat.

bkf forgot about Tammy Duckworth in Illinois. Another Dem pickup.

bkf forgot about Tammy Duckworth in Illinois. Another Dem pickup.[/QUOTE

No I didn't. She is included in my Democratic total of 47. That race isn't one of the races that are considered to be competitive.

You can start at 46-46 and add these 8 states: NH, PA, NC, FLA, IND, MO, WISC, NEV.

I allocated NH, NC, FLA & MO to the GOP to get them to 50. I added WISC to the Democrats to get them to 47. That left PA, IND & NEV.

Those predictions may be wrong, but the numbers add up and I didn't forget about any states.

If the GOP holds the Senate, should Obama make a recess appointment of Garland or another nominee? Additionally, should he make recess appointments for a portion of or every empty federal judgeship that the GOP has obstructed on an historic level?

Once the Senate closes its session, he absolutely has the constitutional right to do this. They will have to close the session to be able to seat the newly elected Senators. Even if it's only for one day, they do have to close the session. During that day or during a minute of being out of session, he could 100% legally do it.

The appointments would only last until the end of the next session. So maybe, it should only be the Supreme Court and a few of the most important vacancies.

Hillary could negotiate make them permanent versus a series of Oval Office speeches about the Senate putting the nation at risk and into an unprecedented constitutional crisis.
The Senate should just wait things out for another couple of months. Trump will nominate the most conservative justices to the Supreme Court that he can find. They will surely pass the Republican-led Senate.

Paul Ryan is a much smarter man than I

And I graduated wake 3.87 townie

Well RJ, looks like the Pubs are holding the senate, so you want to ask this question again?

Back