• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could go anywhere you wanted...

wolfdeac

Reaction score
So after I graduate next year, my family is taking a trip... somewhere. They've left it up to me, and it can literally be about anywhere, as my Mom has an absurd amount of frequent flyer miles accumulated from business that we'll be using to reach said destination. It's just my parents and me, and they're pretty cool people. My problem is I have no idea where to go, and I'd like some ideas from those of you that have done a good bit of traveling. The trip will be next summer so I need to pick somewhere so that preparations can begin.

My thoughts thus far include:
-South Africa, possibly dive with Great Whites, go on a safari, see Chimp Eden
-Thailand, elephant safari, bengal tiger experience (get to pet them etc), other jungle-y stuff?
-Fly into Rome, ride the train up through other major areas in Italy into Paris, go from there to Germany/Austria
-Egypt, trip down the Nile
-Mediterranean cruise
-Cruise up near Norway/Sweden/Finland/Russia

Those are just a couple thoughts and by no means set in stone. If someone has a really cool place they've been, throw it out there!

I want to tour Italy at some point. Love Rome.

Start in Sydney, Australia and make your way north to the great barrier reef.

Tokyo and the rest of Japan.

Can't go wrong with Scandinavia, though.

I'd go wherever animal poaching is the worst and poach the poachers.

My roommate and I did a figure eight through Thailand right after we graduated. Pretty epic month all around. I'd recommend SE Asia in general but Europe/Scandinavia would be pretty epic also.

Don't do Europe. You can get there relatively easily on your own. I would say southern Africa or Australia/NZ.

South Africa, Japan/Korea, Peru/Bolivia/North Chile all would be good spots to go with a family. Lots of daytime activities/cultural stuff you can do together, while you can still go out and do your thing at night if you want.

Europe and SE Asia are awesome, but I think they're more enjoyable with friends or by yourself than with family. There's so many different ways of doing those places, I'd hate to try and decide with however many different family members each day. My experiences in Europe and Asia probably aren't exactly what my parents would be interested in.

I have been to most of those places you listed, as well as many others. My advice would be to do one of the following three:

New Zealand
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia... or if you dont have the time just go to Vietnam
Nepal

I spent 5 months last year travelling around and New Zealand, Nepal and Vietnam were my favorite places in the world. You cant go wrong with any of those. I will say this though, New Zealand or Nepal would probably be the more fun out of the three if you are going with your parents. Vietnam/SE Asia in general are more of places you go unencumbered by your parents. You will see and do shit that (hopefully) your parents will not approve of, no matter how cool you think they are. If you are in to backpacking Nepal is the most amazing place in the world. I hiked the Annapurna Trail over the course of 20 days and it was awesome... and if you are in to that sort of thing go do it now because it is known as one of the best backpacking trips in the world and within the next 5-10 years it will be gone because of road building.

Stay away from Europe because you will most likely get a chance somewhere down the line to travel there.

Egypt was miserable when I went there, granted I went there in March of last year so that could have had something to do with it... but its just so much more boring than SE Asia, New Zealand or Nepal.

Never been to South Africa.. heard great things though.

The most important thing to bring with you when going to Joburg or Capetown is a whiplash collar. Charlieze Theron is about 7 or 8 there.

LOL at 'your mom's sweet muff' tag

New Zealand
Patagonia

I also have a weird fascination with Denmark

-Cruise up near Norway/Sweden/Finland/Russia

Never done a cruise, but my trip to Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia (all of which are usually on those cruise itineraries) was outstanding. Riga and Vilnius, in particular, are loads of fun. Your parents would love Talinn.

It's a tough call, though. Since I've already been to Northeastern Europe, I'd probably pick the South Africa trip. That sounds baller.

How cool are your parents?

Back