• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I'm huge in China

Pretty funny. I have a female friend who's about 6'2" with long blonde hair. She had an assignment that periodically took her to China and everyone would stare at her or want to get their picture taken with her.

Pretty funny. I have a female friend who's about 6'2" with long blonde hair. She had an assignment that periodically took her to China and everyone would stare at her or want to get their picture taken with her.

have a co-worker that is 6-2 ish as well and black. apparently people stopped him everywhere wanting to take a picture with him.

When my family went through China, my two brothers and I - 6'1"-6'4" - got stopped a lot and treated like celebrities. They also thought my mom was some kind of goddess for producing three boys.

Last edited:

How do you say "pics or GTFO" in Mandarin?

One of my suite mates went to Japan when I was at Wake. Another student who went with the group was 6'5"ish, black and wore a size 13 (iirc). People kept stealing his shoes because they thought he was an NBA player. Him mom had to keep sending shoes because you can't buy that size in Japan.

when i was a 6'2 8th grader with blonde hair i went to japan, and i had a few school groups stop me to take pics w/ them. also lots of gawking.

granted i dont think asian cultures are as weird (?) about asking strangers to take pictures with them. living in dc i used to see it happen w/ azn tourists all the time.

when i was a 6'2 8th grader with blonde hair i went to japan, and i had a few school groups stop me to take pics w/ them. also lots of gawking.

granted i dont think asian cultures are as weird (?) about asking strangers to take pictures with them. living in dc i used to see it happen w/ azn tourists all the time.

[I

I'm definitely in some random pictures in Japan and China, though more creeper shots than "can I take a pic with you" shots. The black dudes in the group were asked fairly often if they played basketball. (They generally said yes.) The biggest star in our group was this guy that had very red hair.

My favorite was when we ran into a group of young students that had been given the task of finding random people and practicing a few lines of English that they had on some cards. So they were all excited to speak English with some Americans.

The Buzzfeed story is great. So random.

When my family went through China, my two brothers and I - 6'1"-6'4" - got stopped a lot and treated like celebrities. They also thought my mom was some kind of goddess for producing three boys.

When we went my sister was like 7 or so and every family there wanted her in their family pictures. No telling how many framed pics there are with her in China right now.

I'm definitely in some random pictures in Japan and China...

Yeah, when my parents went back to China they had the same interpreter with whom I had taken a picture. Apparently the picture got passed around his small community (town?) and they all knew who I was and the bro told my parents about it. Kinda weird stuff.

Cool story. I worked in Meizhou for a couple months, flew through that airport, pretty sure I stayed at the hotel of the press conference, this story just brought me back. Thanks for posting. (I may end up back in Meizhou in the next year, will have to look for Brother Orange's restaurant if I do)

Back