• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Im Not A Scientist"- Not an excuse

ThinkingWithMyDeac

Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/10/i_m_not_a_scientist_excuse_politicians_don_t_need_to_be_experts_to_make.html

Thought this was interesting and definitely a problem. I never understood putting someone on the science and technology committee when they don't even think evolution is real.

"American populist rhetoric has always had a dark side of anti-intellectualism, the belief that the common sense of the average man on the street is equal to or greater than the expert knowledge of people who spend years studying a particular question, and that has been on full display in recent years. Who can understand what those weird, other-worldly scientists are talking about, anyway? Somebody needs to “stand up to the experts.”

Self-loathing scientists like pourdeac don't help.

Reminds me of what Hitler said when he assumed power, to the effect that he did not want experts around him because experts could only tell you why something would not work as opposed to generalist who did not know enough to tell you the pitfalls and just assumed something in their minds would work. Not to bright.

Reminds me of what Hitler said when he assumed power, to the effect that he did not want experts around him because experts could only tell you why something would not work as opposed to generalist who did not know enough to tell you the pitfalls and just assumed something in their minds would work. Not to bright.

Well, it sure as hell worked for him in the short term. Long term, not so much.

Call it for what it it - an excuse to stay close to fundamentalists and not sound like a science denier.

In the Florida gubernatorial debate the other night, the moderator posed a great question to Rick Scott. He said, "Gov. Scott when asked about global warming you usually respond with "I'm not a scientist", but you have no trouble talking about the economy when you're not an economist, or Ebola when you're not a doctor....."

I'd love to see somebody say "We should trust the scientists and doctors on the ground."

In the Florida gubernatorial debate the other night, the moderator posed a great question to Rick Scott. He said, "Gov. Scott when asked about global warming you usually respond with "I'm not a scientist", but you have no trouble talking about the economy when you're not an economist, or Ebola when you're not a doctor....."

what did he say?

what did he say?

He told the truth

"My key contributors have conviced my base voters that it's a crock cooked up by liberal eastern intellectuals. Therefore, I say that as code, to try and get people to think I'm not an anti-science idiot while at the same time being an anti-science idiot"

Wait a minute, that's not what happened at all

What I don't understand is why Scott isn't hammered for being one of the most corrupt healthcare CEOs in US history. His company admitted to over a dozen felonies and was fined over $1B (the largest such fine in US history).

What I don't understand is why Scott isn't hammered for being one of the most corrupt healthcare CEOs in US history. His company admitted to over a dozen felonies and was fined over $1B (the largest such fine in US history).

Because Obama providing health coverage to Americans who lack it is worse than cancer. That's why and if you don't like it, go back to communist Canada or Alaska, pinko.

What I don't understand is how you can say that when you don't live in Florida? Anyone who lives here is beat over the head every day with ads saying just that, not to mention Crist has effectively brought it up in each of their three debates.

Then I am mistaken.

How anyone can vote for a criminal of this level is beyond comprehension.

Then I am mistaken.

How anyone can vote for a criminal of this level is beyond comprehension.

Have you seen the polls where Republicans in 2014 hold Nixon in higher esteem than Obama? When you enter the Right Wing, you check your rationalism at the door.

Crist used to be a Republican. They have an excuse.

It's appalling that anyone here might vote for Scott.

Back