• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Discussion

It’s a really interesting topic - I lean liberal so am generally open to immigration and believe it makes the country stronger as a whole. However there must be some limit, somewhere. And I lean fiscally conservative so I’m not wild on the idea of funding services in perpetuity for a bunch of folks who aren’t themselves contributing to the tax base. Are there any sober proposals on how the country tackles this?

It’s a really interesting topic - I lean liberal so am generally open to immigration and believe it makes the country stronger as a whole. However there must be some limit, somewhere. And I lean fiscally conservative so I’m not wild on the idea of funding services in perpetuity for a bunch of folks who aren’t themselves contributing to the tax base. Are there any sober proposals on how the country tackles this?
Undocumented immigrants pay various taxes from property, sales, to income taxes but can't get many of the benefits of those tax dollars that citizens enjoy.

Undocumented immigrants pay various taxes from property, sales, to income taxes but can't get many of the benefits of those tax dollars that citizens enjoy.
Not only that, but undocumented immigrants contribute about $12 billion a year to social security through having a TIN but don’t receive benefits.

I mentioned before that refugees on average are a net gain to the tax base after about 8 years.

Immigrants are also more entrepreneurial and start more businesses per capital than native born Americans.

A recent CBO projection holds that over the next decade, immigrant workers will add $7 trillion to the economy and a net $1 trillion in tax revenue.

The notion that immigration is bad for the economy is woefully inaccurate. The growth of our economy is dependent on immigration.

Immigration is great and fueled the country since its birth. I worry about unfettered passage, which could lead to disease and terrorists. We need check points and a more open legal policy. However, until Trump is gone, we're going to have the equivalent of a Red Scare on steroids for immigration.

Two wrongs don't make a right. There is real concern about disease.

Do sick people not travel by all methods?

Was covid brought to America by an undocumented person?

Immigration is great and fueled the country since its birth. I worry about unfettered passage, which could lead to disease and terrorists. We need check points and a more open legal policy. However, until Trump is gone, we're going to have the equivalent of a Red Scare on steroids for immigration.
Could you say more about this? What do you mean by unfettered passage? And what/how do you see that leading to terrorism and disease?

It’s like people don’t realize there are flights from Mexico into the US.

Diseases from immigrants is just another scare tactic given the amount of international travel there is and the different potential of class of disease the two groups could introduce.
Seriously. Let's stop international mosquito transportation if we are really worried about diseases from immigration.

There is some data that shows concern about highly-infectious diseases that have all but been eradicated in the US (like TB), that are more prevalent in other countries - a condition exacerbated by harsh and close-quarter conditions that refugees and other migrants live in before arriving to the US. But to put in perspective, the CDC did a 5 year study, where 3.5 million immigrants entered the US and about 3.7% has class B (non-infectious) TB. and less than .3% had syphilis or gonorrhea. Those that come through normal channels of immigration undergo health screenings for these diseases and samples from the undocumented community don't point to significant threat of a widespread epidemic.

Almost everything of concern paraded around from immigrants are vaccine preventable diseases which aren’t a problem in a well vaccinated population but we know how that is going in the US now. The problems are often amplified because “outbreaks” occur but usually in the congregate settings that house immigrants themselves so the true problem is within those populations and not the public at large.

Even people making entry illegally that are detained undergo health screenings and are offered vaccines but it’s can’t be forced. The real concern in the US should be the general attitude about vaccines, public health, and infectious disease. You’re not dying because an immigrant crosses the border and has vzv you’re dying because Windy went on a business trip to India, made some questionable decisions and brought back a mutated strain of Nipah.

Back