• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration rally on National Mall

Could it be that they had already paid for the porta-potties? When you do an event you often (read 90+% of the time) have to put up a bond to pay to pay for things like porta-potties, clean-up and security.

In this case an outside group is actually paying for those employees not the Park Service. But let reality get in your way.

It seems stupid to me to shut down the government over a law that you cannot change so that there is even any of this shit. :noidea:

Could it be that they had already paid for the porta-potties? When you do an event you often (read 90+% of the time) have to put up a bond to pay to pay for things like porta-potties, clean-up and security.

In this case an outside group is actually paying for those employees not the Park Service. But let reality get in your way.

In this case the outside group appears to be the AFL-CIO and/or SEIU. I'd say the reality is it was stupid to try to chase off veterans trying to visit war memorials, then turn around and welcome a union sponsored immigration rally.

Didn't stop the administration from trying to take a $4M loss over a football game. Luckily public outrage rightly changed their viewpoint.

In this case the outside group appears to be the AFL-CIO and/or SEIU. I'd say the reality is it was stupid to try to chase off veterans trying to visit war memorials, then turn around and welcome a union sponsored immigration rally.

You missed the point on several levels.

RE:the vets' visit- this was strictly a formulated result of the GOP shutting down the government. The Park Service would have X$ cut and Y employees cut by this happening. No one made a cognizant and specific decision about denying the vets access. No one was going to have access to the monuments.

It's wrong to say otherwise.

Secondly, it's not about unions or specific interest groups from either side. If any group was willing to foot the bills for porta-potties, security, clean-up and other expenses, they could do an event on The Mall as well.

It's about $$ not politics.

Well, that's BS. Of course it's politics...stupid politics as makes the Administration look like it favors a union backed immigration rally over veterans (the same veterans you rush to defend when the politics suit you).

The Republicans are doing a great job of destroying their party - why give them an issue like this?

All the monuments were closed to walk up traffic due to the shut down. The Adminstration had NOTHING to do with "chasing off the vets".

Anyone other than RW, brainwashed, sycophants understands this.

All the monuments were closed to walk up traffic due to the shut down. The Adminstration had NOTHING to do with "chasing off the vets".

Anyone other than RW, brainwashed, sycophants understands this.
Your attacks are humorous, as are most of your posts on this board. You will go to absurd lengths to condemn the pubs or defend the Dems, all the time claiming to be a moderate.

There's nothing in my position for you to get so worked up about. Vets were blocked from the memorials, then a union sponsored rally is allowed. The perception created reflects poorly on the Administration, regardless of the realities. The Administration will be tagged for this even though the Republicans caused the shutdown. The fact that a bunch of Democratic congressmen attended the rally (and 8 managed to get arrested) doesn't help your party.

Everything in DC is political.

Anyone who is trying to be balanced can seed the obvious difference in these situations. Anyone who thinks at all understands all the monuments in DC were closed. This was reported on every newscast, the internet, etc.

Additionally, whomever is doing an event that they are paying for does not have anything to do with the monuments. Had the rally been shut down, the government likely would have been sued for all the monies paid thus far.

I realize it takes a little depth and understanding. This is really easy to understand for anyone who wants to actually think about it.

I also realize the biggest weakness (and a very surprising one) of this Administration is messaging. They have allowed themselves to beaten on almost every issue. I bet if we could go back to 2009/10, you'd see posts from me calling for Axelrod's job and calling him a failure.

As to this:

" all the time claiming to be a moderate"

Once again you are inaccurate. What I've said hundreds of times is I am socially progressive and fiscally moderate.
Of course you and others, pick and choose what fits your needs.

you all are idiots. The monuments were closed to everyone: nuns, midgets, scientologists, puppies. The rally and the monuments closing have nothing to do with each other, and only the idiots trying to dig up a story would put the two together. Having said that, there have been multiple well reported incidents of Park employees letting groups of veterans pass the barricades to see the memorials.

Last edited:
you all are idiots. The monuments were closed to everyone: nuns, midgets, scientologists, puppies. The rally and the monuments closing have nothing to do with each other, and only the idiots trying to dig up a story would put the two together. Having said that, there have been multiple well reported incidents of Park employees letting groups of veterans pass the barricades to see the memorials.

The National Mall is also closed to the nuns, midgets, scientologists and puppies, so your post is kind of off the mark.

The National Mall is also closed to the nuns, midgets, scientologists and puppies, so your post is kind of off the mark.

The rally was allowed on the mall for the same reason that veterans have been allowed past the barricades at the war memorials. When the memorials were closed for everyone, so was the mall. RJ is wrong about the permit being granted before the closure, but the fact remains that the whole crux of this dumb thread is erroneous.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/government-shutdown-2013-what-s-allowed-on-the-national-mall-95063.html

Last edited:
The irony here is that the decision to allow Veterans in was the basis of the granted permit for the rally.

Back