• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

In loving memory.........

Whatever WakeandBake said - I was there for all the same stuff. Oldest memories are those Skip Brown/Alvis Rogers days in the old aircraft hanger gym with a haze of smoke in the rafters ...

Saturday, February 2, 1980. I was a freshman at the Wake/UVA game when the Deacs took down Ralph Sampson's Cavs in the old coliseum. I will never forget that game. The place had the smoke haze of a forties prize fight... you could smoke in there back in the day.

I recall my big brother (incredible WF lover who attended) and me in the dining room w/ a big 'ol honking piece of furniture radio/stereo hoping desperately to hear the fade in/fade out of WSJS in Laurinburg. Calls by Gene Overby. The signal would come in..loud n clear..then fade out...and we'd inevitably be down several points by then. 'Bout 1963-64, I think...Bob Leonard era. I was eight, my brother was 16. I watched John kick the floor, dining room table, etc. He was a freshman football manager at Wake a few years later. I also watched him, during that same time, period jump up and down on our couch while watching golf tournaments on tv shouting (with his arm flailing) "Charge Arnie, CHARGE!!!". My late big brother...brothers in OG&B forever.

the scoreboard game?

Oh my god, don't even start. Not only was I there, I sometimes play golf with a UNC alum who was there as well. It STILL comes up in conversation.

The following football season, whenever we'd get screwed on call, someone would invariably yell, "The ball hit the scoreboard"!

Was never much of a basketball fan growing up, but I watched the '95 ACC tournament at a neighbor's house after I was accepted to Wake (we didn't have cable). Became a huge fan once I got to campus. Fondest memories, in no particular order, would be the Sweet 16 run CP3's freshman year (attended all three NCAA games), playing the national anthem before an FSU game, Taron, Levy and Vitas's senior day when they kissed the court, and saying hi to Taron after he outshot Daniel Ewing at the Final Four 3pt contest.

Oh my god, don't even start. Not only was I there, I sometimes play golf with a UNC alum who was there as well. It STILL comes up in conversation.

The following football season, whenever we'd get screwed on call, someone would invariably yell, "The ball hit the scoreboard"!

:D that shit was unreal

Seeing Ric Flair behind the WFU bench as a guest of Tim Duncan.

Distracting a Dean Dome usher for half of a second, giving Eric William's Mom the chance to throw a swim move by him so she could hug her son after the 3 OT win.

Witnessing Josh Howard's transformation from a kid who couldn't say 3 word answers in an interview to a man who thoughtfully answered questions.

Taron Downey, Chris Paul, Ish Smith and CJ Harris.

Skip

Getting introduced to Wake in the 90's with Rodney, Duncan, Childress, etc.

First game was Childress' last game and jersey retirement. In my young mind, Childress was the greatest player ever.

The 30 point drubbing of Kansas.

Skip getting hired. I was a teenager, but I just felt that this was a turning point and Wake was going be a national power.

While still in high school in 2003, I remember members of our basketball team talking before a game versus West Forsyth High School about how they were not looking forward to getting destroyed by some kid who was going to Wake.

Triple OT win vs UNC. Double OT win over Duke in 2003 when STrickland carried us in the the 2nd OT

2005 win versus UNC. The Joel has not been that loud since. Also John Buck dunking against UNC.

All the players from the last 15 years or so: Rodney, Chil, Duncan, Larue, O'Kelly, Shoemaker, Songalia, Howard, Dawson, Strickland, LD, Ish, CJ, Taron, Big E, and more that I can't think of now.

Saying hi to Skip on campus.

The Texas game in Ish's SR year. I nearly gave my wife a heart attack I yelled so loud. Can't believe it's been three years since I was excited about a Wake game.

Freshman year. Skip Brown, top of the key...bottoms. Shelly off the inbounds from the right corner.....swish. Rod Griffin also a freshman [wearing his Sherlock Holmes double billed hat around campus], long arms swooping in for dunk and that great smile.

I am just thankful that I was at Wake for the great 2002-2005 years under Prosser with JHo/CP3 running the show. So many classic games at the Joel.

I feel sorry for the students who came to Wake in 2009 expecting greatness but getting incredible amounts of unwiped ass. At least after Wellman's commitment to continued failure today any prospective students know they should go elsewhere if they want great college athletics to be part of their college experience.

Fuck you Ron for destroying something we all love. You ruined the legacy of a great man in Skip Prosser with this man who couldn't be a worse representative of Wake Forest and what it represents to me. I will never forgive you for what you have done.

I was an ACC fan overall growing up. Nothing beat March. I had a lot of favorite players across the conference and generally rooted for Duke, State, and Wake.

Randolph Childress became one of my favorite players during his freshman year. He didn't start, but man, he was an exciting player. I was crushed to hear in the offseason that he got injured and would redshirt his sophomore year. Then I did the math and realized if I went to Wake, my freshman year would be Childress' senior year.

Another story and I kid you not it's true. I went my last two year of high school (92-93 and 93-94) at NC Science & Math in Durham. We had a dance during orientation and Phil Medlin and Rodney Rogers DJ'd the dance. Medlin had just graduated and I don't know what he was up to. Rogers was of course one of the best players in the nation. That was pretty amazing for a bunch of kids from NC to meet one of the all-time greats.

Another word about Childress. Younger fans may not realize that he was a legend well before the 1995 ACC Tournament. His jersey was already up in the rafters when he went on his run. My freshman year, his senior year we could come back to the hall and people would tell their Randolph Childress stories, just sightings on campus. We even had a guy on our hall from Swizterland who was a walk-on who told stories about guarding him in informal practice games.

After about a week or so, I was kinda pissed because I was the only one who hadn't seen him on campus yet. Then one day, I was talking between Tribble and Benson between classes and I saw him hold the door open for a girl. I still remember that moment. It was awesome.

I reffed IM flag football my freshman year. Childress was the QB for the Dogg Pound (somebody can correct me), one of the best teams there was. I got to ref two of his games, one during the playoffs in Kentner. After the first one on Watertower, I was walking back to the dorm and I saw him pulling out of his parking spot. He drove by and waved at me. I still remember him saying during the 2nd game, "Coach would kill me if he knew I was doing this".

I hate that he and Rusty are wrapped up in the death of Wake basketball. They're a part of my best sports memories from Wake.

Frank Johnson knocks off a very good Rhode Island team with a half-court heave at the buzzer in GSO! Probably should have been waved off, but the fans were going nuts and would have killed the refs.

Didn't grow up a Wake Fan. In my household, we kind of grew up as ACC fans in general. We always wanted Wake to do well because of Muggsy and my mom had taught Skip Brown in high school.

Really became a Wake fan my sister's freshman year (same year as Ph). i would come over and sit in the student section with her, and then my mom and I got season tickets for the 94/95 and 96/97 season. We would drive over from Tennessee for every home game - even the mid week ones and I was hooked on Wake Forest. Considered a few other schools, but ultimately couldn't see myself anywhere but Wake. I used to say I went to Wake in the worst 4 year stretch of the last two decades (our "down years" then being two trips to the NIT and the Butler game my senior year), I never could have imagined this.

Did we meet for the first time at your first ever Wake game?

Freshman year. Skip Brown, top of the key...bottoms. Shelly off the inbounds from the right corner.....swish. Rod Griffin also a freshman [wearing his Sherlock Holmes double billed hat around campus], long arms swooping in for dunk and that great smile.

We were still on semester break so not many students saw the game, but ending defending national champion NC State's 36-game win streak in the '75 Big Four was pretty cool.

UNC at Wake in 2005.

One of the greatest sports events I've ever witnessed. Thank you Chris Paul and Skip Prosser.

Fuck you Ron.

I was at that game, I was going to mention it as well. My best friend and I drove from Philly. As a wedding present, another friend of mine (who knew someone on that staff), gave me a Framed Panoramic view of that game, signed by the whole team. It's hanging in my man cave.

I remember Chris Paul walking around the entire floor shaking hands and high fiving everyone afterwards.

(only to have UNC go on and win the championship)...it should have been an omen

Back