• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

In-State tuition for undocumented students

Of course it is. And it is how things work in the federal government. For the purposes of determining in-state tuition, the states may have their own ways of doing things. They probably also are more easily able to verify records. The feds do not have the resources, reasons, manpower, or jurisdiction to verify such things nationwide. There may be circumstances where the reasons or jurisdiction are provided, but only after much heavy lifting and an abundance of red tape.
what does in state tuition have to do with the federal government? Every UNC system school verifies your graduation status when you apply, and they also determine your residential status. For instance, when I applied, UNC considered me as an in-state student based on where I graduated HS, and NC State considered me as out of state because my parents lived in KY.

You were implying that some schools somewhere used a diploma to verify graduation status, which is stupid. Schools dont even accept unopened transcripts from applicants.

TRUCKLOADS OF DIPLOMAS

someone 'shop in dipolmas

a.jpg

In state tuition has nothing to do with the Feds. I said it was a state issue, but that I hope they have better means of verification than do the Feds. Apparently, that wasn't clear but I'll go back and look.

The trucks full of diplomas is true, and a result of DACA and the proposed amnesty.

States are free to do whatever the fuck they want, but I hope they have better protections against fraud than the feds do. If they say they attended such and such a school for 3 years, call the damn school to verify it.

Yeah, looks like I was pretty clear.

Yeah, looks like I was pretty clear.
Yeah, I just assumed that you would be bringing up fraud in a relevant way to the conversation about illegal immigrants seeking in state tuition, otherwise it wouldn't have shit to do with the topic at hand. If there isn't a "Truck load of fake diplomas for the Dream Act" thread already, you should start one.

It is relevant because it is what the Feds have encountered for years prior to DACA, and now because of DACA and in anticipation of amnesty. This is fraud in the past that has dealt with education claims, were generally to establish visa eligibility, and primarily associated with foreign education. Now, since US education is part of granting a DACA benefit (or proposed amnesty benefit), the fraud has expanded to include more domestic claims of education.

That the state of NC is a bit more hands-on is gratifying. As I said, it is their business whether they want to pursue it or not. If I lived in NC, I'd want such a loophole accounted for because the increase of fraud at the national level and creation of a black market for bogus high school and grade school records will trickle down to state imparted benefits and should be anticipated. The lesson here is that if you impart a serious benefit, be it legal immigration status or a state-level financial discount, you should expect to see fraud.

If a student lives (not in university housing) year round in the state where they go to college, works in that state, has their vehicle registered in that state, has a drivers license from that state, pays for their own tuition, and is NOT claimed on their parents (who live in another state) income taxes, are they in state or out of state?

If a student lives (not in university housing) year round in the state where they go to college, works in that state, has their vehicle registered in that state, has a drivers license from that state, pays for their own tuition, and is NOT claimed on their parents (who live in another state) income taxes, are they in state or out of state?
Here is what I remember - you have to have lived in NC for 12 months prior to applying for tuition, and there has to be a preponderence of evidence showing that you didnt move to NC for college. If your parents moved to NC less than 12 months before you applied, you will most likely not be granted in state residency until the 2nd school year. Different schools weigh the criteria differently - NC state looks at parents residency first, even if you arent a tax dependent. I never filed for reconsideration there so im not sure what that entails.

Last edited:
I am 100% for this, for what its worth. I voted for the DREAM Act. You can talk about bootstraps and all that business, but let's give people the tools necessary to succeed in life. These aren't people who want to stay at home and simply receive a welfare check. Most immigrants come here to work for a better life for their children.

Related news story:

Pierre Mortemousque’s daughter apparently really wanted to attend UGA; he really didn’t want to pay for it — at least full price.

That is what the University of Georgia police say they found after they got a tip the Virginia man was passing himself off as an in-state resident while his daughter was on Greek Row.

Now the Lynchburg, Va., resident is facing four felony charges of theft — totaling nearly $40,000 — for the two years his daughter got her education subsidized by Georgia taxpayers, said UGA Chief Jimmy Williamson.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional/police-accuse-man-of-faking-residency-for-daughter/ngfpx/

While I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to go to UGA, this case will create at least two outcomes. First, people who are intent on doing this will take a lesson learned from his tax form blunder and make sure they don't fall into the same trap. Second, public schools/state governments will continue to look for these situations and probably step up investigations into questionable students or documents. And how illegal residents, regardless of where they actually live, might play into a defense should this proceed to a criminal case before a jury.

On an aside, I'd rather subsides in-state tuition for resident, undocumented immigrants than out-of-state athletes.

On an aside, I'd rather subsides in-state tuition for resident, undocumented immigrants than out-of-state athletes.

No question.

Back