• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inaction in Syria

The last 10 years of war and the subsequent insolvency of the country haven't convinced us to quit running around solving all the world's problems?

This shit happens in nearly every African country everyday. Would you advocate our interdiction in all of those countries?

Apologies if that came off as combative...i'm still pissed off at the state of our BBall program.

Last edited:
He's played this right thus far. We worked with the Arab Lague. Then went to the UN.

Our next step needs to be worked out with the Arab League and Europe. We can't be seen to be the agressor. But if we play it correctly, we will greatly weaken Iran.

The actions called for in the article aren't very radical, so yeh I definitely think we need to get off the fence. Libya set up the hypocrisy accusation and I've heard it used in conjunction with similar problems in other nations. Why Libya and why not Country "X"? We can do a lot of actions short of boots on the ground in Syria and at this point we really should.

We will not touch Syria with a ten foot pole. Especially with half of Russia's operating navy sitting in the harbor not to mention all of the Russian special forces troops in Damascus. (Same reason Bush sent Rice to Georgia's capitol a few years ago to stop the advance of Russian troops)

"The American people are friends of liberty everywhere but custodians only of our own."

Can someone explain China and Russia's stance? Are they concerned about something or is just the usual blind anti-West position?

Can someone explain China and Russia's stance? Are they concerned about something or is just the usual blind anti-West position?

$$$$$$$$

Russia supplies their military. I'm pretty sure Syria is a huge importer of Chinese products as well.

Libya and Syria aren't even remotely similar. Libya was an isolated rogue state headed by a gangster with no more friends. Syria is a strategically-positioned Gulf state with superpower friends. We need to acknowledge the reality of spheres of influence, however distasteful, or we can never expect anyone to honor ours. We have to first work for approval of any intervention through the Arab League and UN--as we did in Libya, by the way--and if we can't get it, we sit the conflict out.

Coldly analytically, Syria simple isn't worth pissing off China and Russia.

Last edited:
What's going on is horrific, so many innocent people maimed and murdered, but I'm not sure how far we should step into this. Supplying the opposition with arms could end up backfiring in a big way- kind of like when Reagan armed the Taliban. This is from an article by a BBC reporter who was in Homs.
Afterwards, one of the FSA fighters showed me a video he had filmed in December.

They had ambushed a convoy of armoured vehicles. Eight of the security forces were killed, 11 captured. The video showed the prisoners, in camouflage uniform, lined up facing a wall.
Some were still bleeding after the battle. Their arms were raised.

One turned to the camera, looking petrified. The man who'd taken the pictures said that despite their army uniforms, their ID cards showed they were Shabiha (or ghosts) - the hated government paramilitary force.

"We killed them," he told me.

"You killed your prisoners?"

"Yes, of course. They were executed later. That is the policy for Shabiha."

These were Sunni Shabiha, he added; the only Alawite had escaped.

I checked with an officer. While soldiers were released, he said, members of the Shabiha were "executed" after a hearing before a panel of FSA military judges.

To explain, they showed me a film taken from the mobile phone of a captured Shabiha. Prisoners lay face down on the ground, hands tied behind their backs. One-by-one, their heads were cut off.

The man wielding the knife said, tauntingly, to the first: "This is for freedom."

As his victim's neck opened, he went on: "This is for our martyrs. And this is for collaborating with Israel."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16984219

This conflict feels a lot more like early 90's Yugoslavia than Tahrir Square.

Well the assumed aftermath, at least.

Last edited:
The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is saying Syria is not at all like libya. First we don't who we'd be arming as there are many factions. Many have different goals.

Next, when the Libyan uprising got startted they almost immediately had major bases of operations in Benghazzi an d throughout eastern Libya.

Another reason is that the Syrians have a modern and integrated air defense system which Libya didn't have.

Once again it's good to have professionals and adults running the military for a change versus being led by a bunch of idelogical chicken hawk yahoos.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is saying Syria is not at all like libya. First we don't who we'd be arming as there are many factions. Many have different goals.

Next, when the Libyan uprising got startted they almost immediately had major bases of operations in Benghazzi an d throughout eastern Libya.

Another reason is that the Syrians have a modern and integrated air defense system which Libya didn't have.

Once again it's good to have professionals and adults running the military for a change versus being led by a bunch of idelogical chicken hawk yahoos.

This sentence is why everybody hates you. Think about that next time, before you PM me about calling you out on your shit.

Why would you hate the truth?

Cheney said he "knew where the WMDs were". He said we'd bne met with chocolates and rose petals in Iran.

Sec Def Rumsfeld said the war in Iraq would be over in weeks or months. He also said it would pay for itself or be marginal in cost.

Douglas Feith, well we don't even need to discuss him.

By the way the "everyone hate you" is for lazy bozos like you.

Two journalists killed in Homs today.

Colvin, a veteran correspondent who also covered last year's Libyan civil war, said the Syrian crisis was the worst conflict she had covered, partly because of the volume of ammunition and shelling falling on Homs.

120222094539-marie-colvin-sunday-times-journalist-t1-main.jpg

She looks like she was a badass. Very sad.

Minus the political slant, it's a very informative article.

Libya and Syria aren't even remotely similar. Libya was an isolated rogue state headed by a gangster with no more friends. Syria is a strategically-positioned Gulf state with superpower friends. We need to acknowledge the reality of spheres of influence, however distasteful, or we can never expect anyone to honor ours. We have to first work for approval of any intervention through the Arab League and UN--as we did in Libya, by the way--and if we can't get it, we sit the conflict out.

Coldly analytically, Syria simple isn't worth pissing off China and Russia.

+1 Not sure what more I need to read.

You can read that as I am too lazy to read anything longer than a board post.

Back