• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Insurance settlement for totaled car

Jeff Fatt

Reaction score
How does one go about determining whether the amount being offered by the insurance company for a totaled car is fair? Is there a standard that is used like trade in or private party value using Kelly blue book or something similar? I'm anticipating that they are going to try to screw me so I'd like to be prepared to counter what they offer if their number is low.

The adjuster will search the local city/county/state to form a pool of vehicles of the same make/model/year with similar condition/mileage prior to the accident and use that figure; Kelly/Edmunds/NADA are close approximates, use private party value.

Good job, JF. Last week was a thread about how to finance a car and now you've gone and totaled it. Lesson: don't let the woman drive!!!

Good job, JF. Last week was a thread about how to finance a car and now you've gone and totaled it. Lesson: don't let the woman drive!!!

Ha! I've decided I don't like to work so I'm trying out some insurance fraud. There has to be a way I can get paid for doing nothing!

And thanks ITC.

I think there may be 3 threads dealing with this saga.

You're not going to have much input. If you ask for the market analysis they will send it to you. You can hire your own adjuster and they will pay you back for that cost if a mediator sides with your guy. Which the mediator is not going to do. You get what you get.

Back