• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Intellectual Property Question

Plus universities get a healthy cut of grant funded research spending or salaries through indirect costs.

Plus universities get a healthy cut of grant funded research spending or salaries through indirect costs.
Yeah, that's true, they sort of take their cut upfront but claiming 52.5% of the grant as overhead.

OMG his employer is going to confiscate his OGBoards posts !!!
Apparently biff doesn't know several of us have already been contacted by orgs designated by letters. I'm lawyered up, but I can't fight this forever.

Only touching the second portion:

IANAL but the remote wipe from my POV is more of a functional IT question, not specific to the law.

It comes down to the specifics on the wipe and the software and if it’s a full phone lockdown/wipe. Is the wipe specific to the application?

If it’s an iPhone, is this managed through the Apple control center, or a third-party application?

I don’t see many cases where an organization puts wiping/lockdown software that is systemwide on a device that they did not provide. I’d be issuing the strongest “fuck off” if I was told that somebody else could wipe my personal phone due to one business application.

If they’re worried about information flowing out of the application, that’s a simple access control to restrict downloading, etc. and they wouldn’t require full wipe capabilities.

There are also a number of things you can do if it's your phone that would be able to limit their wipe/admin capabilities, so they're already in a weird setup to begin with.

Only touching the second portion:

IANAL but the remote wipe from my POV is more of a functional IT question, not specific to the law.

It comes down to the specifics on the wipe and the software and if it’s a full phone lockdown/wipe. Is the wipe specific to the application?

If it’s an iPhone, is this managed through the Apple control center, or a third-party application?

I don’t see many cases where an organization puts wiping/lockdown software that is systemwide on a device that they did not provide. I’d be issuing the strongest “fuck off” if I was told that somebody else could wipe my personal phone due to one business application.

If they’re worried about information flowing out of the application, that’s a simple access control to restrict downloading, etc. and they wouldn’t require full wipe capabilities.

There are also a number of things you can do if it's your phone that would be able to limit their wipe/admin capabilities, so they're already in a weird setup to begin with.
i've always known it as they could wipe work applications...email..teams, Webex, Zoom etc but not my actual device itself. I made the mistake of having all my contacts synced to outlook instead of gmail or icloud, when i left the company and they wiped me from the exchange server,,,boom all contacts on my phone were gone.

that was a stressful day

i've always known it as they could wipe work applications...email..teams, Webex, Zoom etc but not my actual device itself. I made the mistake of having all my contacts synced to outlook instead of gmail or icloud, when i left the company and they wiped me from the exchange server,,,boom all contacts on my phone were gone.

that was a stressful day

That suckkkksssssssss.

That's typically the move, InTune enrollment being the best example/what you gave there. On personal devices, it's limited to the 365 suite/attached data, as especially on iPhones each individual can lock/wipe/all that stuff themselves. If it's a company device then they turn InTune up to the next level and take over full responsibility of the phone.

That suckkkksssssssss.

That's typically the move, InTune enrollment being the best example/what you gave there. On personal devices, it's limited to the 365 suite/attached data, as especially on iPhones each individual can lock/wipe/all that stuff themselves. If it's a company device then they turn InTune up to the next level and take over full responsibility of the phone.
Bingo. THe company agrees not to be monitoring your web history etc but they can wipe all work related stuff. I had to agree to that to have email etc on my phone.
And it wasn't the companies fault I lost my contacts...just stupid of me not to double check where i was synced before leaving.

that was a stressful day
NAL, obviously... but, I had a similar experience.

It was super-duper awkward getting enough access back to retain control of my home security cameras, etc.

...If anyone here has associated any of their personal shit with their work accounts, undo it. Fix it today.

My shit was a decade ago... but, I am still dealing with family that didn't heed my warning.

... keep at least 2 accounts you have entire control of. phone and email. serious and junk.

Back