• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting BCS Possibilities

Actually, I think this scenario brings some clarity, because it would mean that the SECW representative to the SECCG would end up with two losses. I think it would make an Oregon/Oklahoma match-up the obvious choice for the BCSCG, assuming that Oregon wins out. It's a tough argument to make to send a 1-loss SECW runner-up to the BCSCG over the division representative since that second loss came in a game only afforded to the tiebreak winner.

I really think the SEC gets more love than they deserve, but in the situation that Nova outlines I think it would clearly be Bama/LSU v Oregon/OU...

Whichever is sitting at one loss between Bama and LSU will go to the MNC....it would be weird cause they didn't win their conference, but everome already thinks they are the best two teams....

LSU beats Arkansas.
Georgia beats LSU.
Alabama vs Oklahoma State in the Championship Game.
Georgia gets SEC's 2nd BCS slot (Sugar Bowl).
#3 LSU is forced into the Capital One Bowl... aka Tangerine Bowl aka Citrus Bowl.

Last edited:
Is the only other time a team went to the NC game without winning their conference when Oklahoma lost to Kansas St in the Big XII title game about 8 years ago or so?

Is the only other time a team went to the NC game without winning their conference when Oklahoma lost to Kansas St in the Big XII title game about 8 years ago or so?

Nebraska in 2001 didn't even win their division. CU stomped them for the division title, then CU beat Texas in the BXII CG.

OU easily would have the worst loss out of any one-loss team. They would also, however, have the best win or wins if they were to beat OSU and win out. Worst losses are usually what people look at though, but not always. The computers are better at balancing losses versus the wins.

If LSU loses the SEC CG, they are still in, IMO. If they lose to Arky, then doesn't it come down to a 3 way tie between them, Bama, and Arky over who represents the SEC west? That team would obviously have the leg up for the BCS CG.

I think it's all a moot point as LSU will win out and so will the aggies, and LSU will cruise in the BCS CG against OSU.

Hard to keep track of what you're replying to, but I don't think that OU has the most impressive win or wins.

If Arkansas wins, they will have beaten LSU and lost only to Alabama.
Alabama will have beaten Arkansas and lost to only LSU (also won at Sandusky State)
If LSU loses they will have beaten Alabama and lost only to Arkansas (also beat Oregon and won at Kanhoji U)

Oklahoma will have beaten OSU, KSU, and a couple of paper tigers, while losing only to a Texas Tech team that looks like it won't make a bowl game.

All of those resumes are at least as good as Oklahoma's, if not better, IN MY OPINION. So I guess you can say the computers get to sort it out, but 2/3 of the BCS formula is human polls.

<30% chance LSU loses to Arkansas, but I'd say over 50% that OSU loses to OU. I hope OU doesn't get in the title game... losing to an absolutely terrible team at home + their history of failure

<30% chance LSU loses to Arkansas, but I'd say over 50% that OSU loses to OU. I hope OU doesn't get in the title game... losing to an absolutely terrible team at home + their history of failure

Yeah, I expect LSU to take care of business, but you just stated that there's a 3 in 10 chance of Arkansas winning the game, which is better than a puncher's chance. Petrino won't have much trouble figuring out LSU's defense, it's just a question of whether his team can execute against it. If Arkansas is able to put up some points and subsequently kickoff, this game gets pretty scary for LSU because their offense relies on their defense for good field position.

LSU's offense is #80 in total yards but the team is #18 in points per game.

Hard to keep track of what you're replying to, but I don't think that OU has the most impressive win or wins.

If Arkansas wins, they will have beaten LSU and lost only to Alabama.
Alabama will have beaten Arkansas and lost to only LSU (also won at Sandusky State)
If LSU loses they will have beaten Alabama and lost only to Arkansas (also beat Oregon and won at Kanhoji U)

Oklahoma will have beaten OSU, KSU, and a couple of paper tigers, while losing only to a Texas Tech team that looks like it won't make a bowl game.

All of those resumes are at least as good as Oklahoma's, if not better, IN MY OPINION. So I guess you can say the computers get to sort it out, but 2/3 of the BCS formula is human polls.

That's IF Arkansas wins. A big IF. They haven't had a quality win all year. They are, in my estimation, the most overrated team in the country by far. Stanford was previously. K State before that.

But IF they win, it will come down to the representative of the SEC and a 2nd team. The 2nd team is what my previous post was examining (I may have further added to the confusion by calling OSU the aggies). The teams now would appear to be OSU (the only team that controls its own destiny apart from LSU), OU, and Oregon. Bama is in the hunt only if they win the SEC or everybody else falls apart.

In the event that OU beats OSU and Oregon wins out, it will probably come down to OU and Oregon. The computers like the Big XII and the Pac 10 is garbage this year. Oregon and OU would have comparable late season road wins against top teams. Many voters will not want to see a rematch. Many voters will understandably want to punish OU for the awful loss to TT, as well as the loss of Broyles and Whaley (which makes them a much lesser team, IMO). OOC games are pretty much a wash (gotta give Oregon kudos for having LSU and a respectable Nevada on the schedule. OU had FSU, Tulsa, and Ball State as OOC foes). In short, it won't be an easy decision for voters. I think the computers will favor OU, and probably by a pretty good margin. The voters will have to deal with a lot of unsavory lobbying and ESPN will be having a circle jerk as people will once again source them as a serious opinion to buttress whatever argument they have.

Back