• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting story on Cory Booker's first week in the Senate

Interesting read. Not knocking the guy, but it is fascinating that within the past year or so he was publicly asking people "... what does a United States Senator do?"..

I think most people ask that about a potential career change.

Humility is probably an effective strategy for a guy like Booker. Reformers tend to come in guns blazing, and that doesn't seem to play well in DC outside of partisan echo chambers. Booker was committed to being Mayor when several other opportunities presented themselves nationally , and I think his loyalty was a juxtaposition to a lot of rising stars. This strategy seems equally endearing to mainstream America. He is probably smart enough to realize that if POTUS is his goal, 2016 is most likely not his window. He could stay in the Senate or take the Governors mansion if/when Christie moves on. Either way, 2020 or 2024 is his window, and he probably knows that.

If Hillary wins, he's out until at least 2024, but in that time frame he only has to win one more senatorial election.

Christie's out of office in 2017 or 2018, so a stint as Governor would be the better move for Booker if he eventually wants to be President.

Christie's out of office in 2017 or 2018, so a stint as Governor would be the better move for Booker if he eventually wants to be President.

That's my read on the situation too. That would make for a hell of a resume in 2024 assuming his personality can stay intact through all of that.

It also depends on whom Hillary chooses as VP. That person might have the inside track in '24.

I wonder if America would be ready to go black guy, white woman, black guy in the WH. Of course by '24, Kirsten Gillibrand may run.

Agree that Booker has more of an executive mentality and is just biding his time to get back to NJ. The article strongly suggests that's his end game with his plan to only spend 3 days in Washington.

Agree that Booker has more of an executive mentality and is just biding his time to get back to NJ. The article strongly suggests that's his end game with his plan to only spend 3 days in Washington.

Some of that is populist posturing. The Cincinnatus-Washingtonian ideal still resonates for most Americans.

It also depends on whom Hillary chooses as VP. That person might have the inside track in '24.

I wonder if America would be ready to go black guy, white woman, black guy in the WH. Of course by '24, Kirsten Gillibrand may run.

Assuming Hill-dog wins in 2016, I don't see a candidate on the horizon that could hang with Booker in a primary. Granted that is a long time from now, but Booker has got "it". That's hard to find, and it's hard to hide which makes it unlikely that there is a strong enough contender out there to beat Booker. Who knows though? If the rumor about Booker being gay is true, that is probably his biggest obstacle to the White House which is unfortunate.

I think most people ask that about a potential career change.

Good one. One would hope a man with aspirations for the highest offices in the country would be somewhat more sophisticated about how things work.

NPR had a piece last week where they interviewed a professor and Carol Moseley Braun about the balance Booker will have to manage between being humble as a new Senator and also having somewhat of a celebrity status, plus being one of only two black members of the Senate. Sounds like, one week in at least, he’s doing just fine.

Senator Cory Booker: Workhorse Or Show Horse?

I hope he does well. Such a great personality.

Good one. One would hope a man with aspirations for the highest offices in the country would be somewhat more sophisticated about how things work.

I guess you're assuming Booker is a dumbass who couldn't pass a Civics course. I read it in context and it's pretty clear that he's talking about the day to day the broader impact of the Senate which continues to evolve every day. He's also talking about the contrast between being a man of the people as a mayor and the wheelin' and dealin' of the Senate.

------
Booker, who for months weighed a gubernatorial bid against his friend Christie, has said he almost had to sell himself on the idea of being senator. In an interview in 2012, at the height of speculation about his future, Booker suggested to Winfrey that he didn’t fully understand yet what it was a member of the U.S. Senate did, or could do, with the power of the office.

“I’ve been asking the question to a lot of people, ‘Well, what does a United States senator do?’ And people look at me almost like that’s an annoying question,” said Booker, who often names former mayors like Gov. Martin O’Malley, over senators, as his role models in politics. “You’ve got to live a mission-driven life.”

Chris Magarro, Booker’s best friend since both men were 9 years old in school together, said the new senator would find his greatest frustration from the Senate in the rules that might limit what he can do in the office. “It will be a big adjustment for him,” Magarro said. “When recess happens, he’ll have to go on recess. That’s not like the 24-hour, seven-day-a-week job of mayor.”

------

Assuming Hill-dog wins in 2016, I don't see a candidate on the horizon that could hang with Booker in a primary. Granted that is a long time from now, but Booker has got "it". That's hard to find, and it's hard to hide which makes it unlikely that there is a strong enough contender out there to beat Booker. Who knows though? If the rumor about Booker being gay is true, that is probably his biggest obstacle to the White House which is unfortunate.

Texas is tough now for a Dem to win statewide, but if one of the Castro twins wins statewide in TX they'll be formidable down the road. No chance for VP if they're still a Mayor or a Congressman. Gillibrand probably needs to be NY Governor before she has a shot at the White House. If Hillary for whatever reason doesn't run, Cuomo's going to have a tough time winning while shacking up with his girlfriend. Dunno what's going on with Booker, but a gay President won't happen in ten years. Twenty maybe, but not ten.

I was talking to a friend of mine who works for the Congressional Research Office a few weeks ago when I was in DC. She said one of the things going around DC is that Booker could be damaged by the fact that he likes to date white women. I suggested race had little to do with it and we don't really have a model for a single high profile politician. That said, he can get away with flirting on twitter and such because he is single. Obviously, if he doesn't want to be married, he shouldn't just for show. He does open himself up to similar problems Harold Ford, Jr. had as noted in this ad.

Yeah I think he would be better served by going back to NJ as governor before making a Presidential run. I like Booker a lot and think he would be a great President. Unfortunately, the same way Romney's biggest obstacle was overcoming the Bush comparisons, Booker's biggest obstacle is going to be overcoming the Obama comparisons. Obviously Booker and Obama are quite different, but he will have to convince the nation of that, and going right from the Senate to a presidential run wouldn't help.

Yeah I think he would be better served by going back to NJ as governor before making a Presidential run. I like Booker a lot and think he would be a great President. Unfortunately, the same way Romney's biggest obstacle was overcoming the Bush comparisons, Booker's biggest obstacle is going to be overcoming the Obama comparisons. Obviously Booker and Obama are quite different, but he will have to convince the nation of that, and going right from the Senate to a presidential run wouldn't help.

Q.F.P?

I guess you're assuming Booker is a dumbass who couldn't pass a Civics course. I read it in context and it's pretty clear that he's talking about the day to day the broader impact of the Senate which continues to evolve every day. He's also talking about the contrast between being a man of the people as a mayor and the wheelin' and dealin' of the Senate.

------
Booker, who for months weighed a gubernatorial bid against his friend Christie, has said he almost had to sell himself on the idea of being senator. In an interview in 2012, at the height of speculation about his future, Booker suggested to Winfrey that he didn’t fully understand yet what it was a member of the U.S. Senate did, or could do, with the power of the office.

“I’ve been asking the question to a lot of people, ‘Well, what does a United States senator do?’ And people look at me almost like that’s an annoying question,” said Booker, who often names former mayors like Gov. Martin O’Malley, over senators, as his role models in politics. “You’ve got to live a mission-driven life.”

Chris Magarro, Booker’s best friend since both men were 9 years old in school together, said the new senator would find his greatest frustration from the Senate in the rules that might limit what he can do in the office. “It will be a big adjustment for him,” Magarro said. “When recess happens, he’ll have to go on recess. That’s not like the 24-hour, seven-day-a-week job of mayor.”

------

I'm not assuming anything and I, like you, read it in context. For argument's sake, let's say I'm a step below the 'C'-level at a public company and I'm in line for the CFO role.. if in discussing this with anyone in my leadership, I commented that I'm not quite sure what the CFO does, I'd be permanently sidetracked. For that reason, and that reason alone, I found his comment interesting.

I like anybody with brains and balls in that leadership position, even if I may disagree with some of his political objectives. My problem with Obama is that I don't think he has enough of either. I think Booker is smarter than Obama, even though he is not as formally educated. He defintiely has more balls.

Back