• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

international travel/customs question

DeacHoops

Reaction score
for anybody who travels internationally frequently, i imagine this is a dumb question. but i just need to make sure:

if i'm traveling to another country (in this case, sweden), and i have connections through other countries (both canada and germany), do i have to go through customs in those countries?

one of the proposed travel plans would only have a 55 minute layover in germany, and that makes me nervous if i have to go through customs.

In my experience, you stay in the international travel terminal, so no.

Not usually. However, I know in the Frankfurt airport if you want to eat McDonald's it's on the other side and you have to go through customs.

ITC is correct. You'll stay in the concourse so not customs issues. Now, if you decide to leave the airport etc, you'll have to start all over. Not worth it.

I'm curious why you have to go through Canada to get to Germany, but generally you stay in the international terminal so it isn't a big deal.

I'm curious why you have to go through Canada to get to Germany, but generally you stay in the international terminal so it isn't a big deal.

there are easier flights, but this was the cheapest (by far). so it obviously doesn't make sense, but the cheaper my flight, the more fun i get to have once i'm there.

thanks for the help!

Because of the Schengen Zone rules you (and your carryon) will go through immigration in Germany. You and your check bags will go through customs in Sweden.

Because of the Schengen Zone rules you (and your carryon) will go through immigration in Germany. You and your check bags will go through customs in Sweden.

so what does this mean in terms of how long my layover needs to be? if they're not checking my checked bags, i should make it through faster, right?

so what does this mean in terms of how long my layover needs to be? if they're not checking my checked bags, i should make it through faster, right?

It depends on which airport in Germany you are going through. I would do a quick google search to see if you can get a rough estimate of how long it normally takes.

you don't have anything to worry about unless your connections are like 30 min apart, which would be a problem at any airport.

This.

You WILL go through customs (bag and passport type) in Canada. It's about a 45 min process and a very annoying layout (esp Toronto).

At Frankfurt, you will have to stand in line to get your passport stamped, but your bag will go to your connection. Just sit near the front of the plane and you can beat a lot of people to the Passport Control line. Should take 20ish mins. Then, you'll need to boogie to your connection which will take no more than 20 mins if you hurry.

It depends on which airport in Germany you are going through. I would do a quick google search to see if you can get a rough estimate of how long it normally takes.

no luck on anything specifically related to immigration, but apparently the airport (dusseldorf) in general is easy to navigate with short lines. fingers crossed 55 minutes is enough!

thanks for the info!

This.

You WILL go through customs (bag and passport type) in Canada. It's about a 45 min process and a very annoying layout (esp Toronto).

At Frankfurt, you will have to stand in line to get your passport stamped, but your bag will go to your connection. Just sit near the front of the plane and you can beat a lot of people to the Passport Control line. Should take 20ish mins. Then, you'll need to boogie to your connection which will take no more than 20 mins if you hurry.

i've got several hours in toronto, so i can deal with having to go through customs there. i'm not going through frankfurt, but hopefully dusseldorf has similar times. thanks!

I don't recall having to go through this omw to India in August 2010. They even rerouted us through Mumbai instead of our direct to Bangalore so we had all of 15-20 mins to get to our terminal and we made it. If I were at home I'd check the passport for the stamp to verify.

I don't recall having to go through this omw to India in August 2010. They even rerouted us through Mumbai instead of our direct to Bangalore so we had all of 15-20 mins to get to our terminal and we made it. If I were at home I'd check the passport for the stamp to verify.

That's because you were using Germany as a transit point to a non-Schengen destination. You never technically entered the Schengen Zone.

more like luke schenscher zone

I think it's actually gotten worse...

2008+2009+NBL+Portraits+Adelaide+36ers+V59Hs9BZQEZl.jpg

i've got several hours in toronto, so i can deal with having to go through customs there. i'm not going through frankfurt, but hopefully dusseldorf has similar times. thanks!

Dusseldorf is probably even quicker than Frankfurt, since fewer non-Schengen flights come through there.

Back