• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Internet - Verizon vs. Time Warner

BaseballBoomhauer

Reaction score
there was another thread sort of on this, but it wasn't really helpful.

i'm moving and can choose between verizon and time warner for internet.

verizon is a better deal, but does anyone know if there is a difference in performance between the two? time warner's basic roadrunner says its "up to 10 mbps" for broadband ($30/month), and verizon says it is ".5 to 1 mbps" for DSL ($25/month). verizon also includes a free wireless router, while time warner charges $6/month for "wifi home network service."

is there a difference between wifi home network service and me just buying a wireless router on my own? DSL vs. broadband? are those speeds comparable for some reason because of the dsl/broadband thing?

I'd go w/ TWC and buy your own wireless router (so you don't have to pay that 6/month and you'll have a more reliable piece of equipment).

I'd go w/ TWC and buy your own wireless router (so you don't have to pay that 6/month and you'll have a more reliable piece of equipment).

Yea lolz at time warner charging $6/month for a wireless router that is probably 100x shittier and less reliable then a basic wireless router you could buy yourself for $30-40. Anybody paying for a TWC wireless router has no idea what they're doing.

i just didn't know if there was something with the channels of the cable modem or something that prevented you from using wireless unless you went through their service.

Go with TWC and get your own router. You can get good N-band routers for cheap now. 0.5 MBps dsl will drive you nuts.

why wouldn't you get verizon? i got fios tv and internet about 4 months ago when i moved and it 10000000x better than twc.

why wouldn't you get verizon? i got fios tv and internet about 4 months ago when i moved and it 10000000x better than twc.

There's no comparison between cable internet and DSL. Cable blows it out of the water.

So the fios wasn't available to him, only the dsl?

My buddy has the fios cable as well and it is wicked fast.....better than any other provider I've seen out there

If you can get FIOS, it's a no brainer.

Internet service options

I would rate them FIOS>>Time Warner>>DSL

If you can get FIOS...

Back