• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interstellar

Just saw it in 70mm IMAX and I loved it. I can't really give a balanced perspective because I planned to love it before I saw it. I will say that I was on the edge of my seat for a good portion of it, and the time-relativity scenes really hit me in the feels. The score was damn near perfect, though I would have appreciated some Kronos Quartet.

Agree with points on the score and shots. Both were unbelievable

I want to see it again before I judge it in comparison to other Nolan flicks

I saw it in Imax Saturday, man that was intense. Like others have said the time/relativity aspects are real gut punches at times. Probably going to end up seeing it again just to take it all in.

My concern leading up to release was that it would be a typical recent Nolan film, a huge spectacle that thinks it's way smarter and deeper and more meaningful than it is. One of my buddies (whose opinion I generally respect) saw it this weekend and mostly confirmed those fears.

His combined texts:
I can keep it general. McConaughey is good. Hathaway is not. The dialogue is very clunky. And yet again, every female character is underwritten, typical Nolan. And scientists spout expository dialogue left and right. It's a well made film but an overwrought mess. Worth seeing but don't expect a lot. Like this movie makes sure you know how WEIGHTY THINGS ARE AND OH MY SHIT THE STAKES! every two minutes. I actually thought the score saved some scenes. By the way, get ready for the Dylan Thomas poem. I bet the Nolans thought that was really impactful when they wrote the script.

Anyway, I'll probably see it later this week, but I'm definitely looking forward to Big Hero 6 more.

Last edited:
My concern leading up to release was that it would be a typical recent Nolan film, a huge spectacle that thinks it's way smarter and deeper and more meaningful than it is. One of my buddies (whose opinion I generally respect) saw it this weekend and mostly confirmed those fears.

His combined texts:
I can keep it general. McConaughey is good. Hathaway is not. The dialogue is very clunky. And yet again, every female character is underwritten, typical Nolan. And scientists spout expository dialogue left and right. It's a well made film but an overwrought mess. Worth seeing but don't expect a lot. Like this movie makes sure you know how WEIGHTY THINGS ARE AND OH MY SHIT THE STAKES! every two minutes. I actually thought the score saved some scenes. By the way, get ready for the Dylan Thomas poem. I bet the Nolans thought that was really impactful when they wrote the script.

Anyway, I'll probably see it later this week, but I'm definitely looking forward to Big Hero 6 more.

You're friends with WakeFanatic?

Yeah, all of my astrophysicist friends were complaining about the unnecessary exposition. We get the science already, talk about sports or something! Fall in love, make fun of each other, stop trying to explain how you're going to complete this mission to save the human race.

"All of my astrophysicist friends..."

Are you Penny from The Big Bang Theory?

Just read the plot on Wikipedia. I feel like:

Butthead.png

I was a politics major so when is the next House of Cards season going to be released?

"All of my astrophysicist friends..."

Are you Penny from The Big Bang Theory?

I was being sarcastic. Bitching about exposition in a sci-fi movie is stupid because many of the plot elements require explanation. I'm sure that RSF's friend had some great ideas as to how to describe the time relativity scenes by just quick cutting to an aging Jessica Chastain while MM was chilling on the tidal planet.

I was being sarcastic. Bitching about exposition in a sci-fi movie is stupid because many of the plot elements require explanation. I'm sure that RSF's friend had some great ideas as to how to describe the time relativity scenes by just quick cutting to an aging Jessica Chastain while MM was chilling on the tidal planet.

A time elapse aging sequence would have been awesome!!!

yeah, the expository scenes were clearly the focal point of that criticism

I mean, overly expository, instruction manual-style dialogue is the biggest criticism of Nolan. Some of the stuff in Interstellar, hell all of Nolan's last few movies, are incredibly eye rolling ("He rose from the dead" ".... Lazarus," the name of the character Dr. MANN, (ohhhh, like man, brilliant!), and the repeated use of the Dylan Thomas poem) and too on the nose.

Nolan's my boy because of his visuals and his sense of scale, but his over reliance on dialogue is by far his biggest weakness.

You think 20% of the audience even knows what the fuck Thomas' poem means?

Lol

Also Lazarus was explained early on

When it was brought up later after they awoke Mann it was more for the impact of the concept

Mann, if he is to believed, literally left himself to be suspended in animation forever (or until the power gave out)

Last edited:

Lol

I don't see the logic in criticizing a film based on unsupported assumptions you make about the directors intentions.

Lol

No I'm sure they don't, but then again most people are fucking retarded.

Nolan's writing just lacks subtlety, everything is laid out and explained to death. I think this pales in comparison to Inception, mainly because Nolan is not just, as the expression goes, wearing his influences on his sleeve, but the whole flick is an allusion to the work that inspired it. And when compared to those movies Nolan is inspired by, there's really no conversation to be had.

It's a movie to be enjoyed greatly while it is going on, but after it's over, what's there to really say about it?

Also Lazarus was explained early on
Yeah, I was making fun of MM's line when Damon awakes, as if we didn't already know what the allusion was to, Nolan had to make it explicitly clear.

No I'm sure they don't, but then again most people are fucking retarded.

Nolan's writing just lacks subtlety, everything is laid out and explained to death. I think this pales in comparison to Inception, mainly because Nolan is not just, as the expression goes, wearing his influences on his sleeve, but the whole flick is an allusion to the work that inspired it. And when compared to those movies Nolan is inspired by, there's really no conversation to be had.

It's a movie to be enjoyed greatly while it is going on, but after it's over, what's there to really say about it?

I mean I get your point, but 90% of the population watches a movie to be simply entertained. It did that

However, I think that within you alls criticism of Nolan flicks, there ARE things to say after it's over. I think that there was some quality crafting of characters in relation to their viewpoints on humanity, what each character valued, and how far they would go for those views.

For example Mann and Professor Brand are both defined by the will to survive. They both go to extraordinary lengths to ensure survival.

Donald and Tom shared values, and younger Brand, Coop and Murph all represented different things. We saw the good and the bad in each of those characters and as an audience are left with a choice to decide which ones of those values we think are good and true

Donald and Tom shared values, and younger Brand, Coop and Murph all represented different things. We saw the good and the bad in each of those characters and as an audience are left with a choice to decide which ones of those values we think are good and true

Couldn't you use this paragraph to demonstrate value in just about any movie, though? Many good movies will ask us to question our value systems and challenge us to judge characters that aren't necessarily black or white. Nolan's not special, or even really particularly good, when it comes to that specific craft.

Last edited:
Back