• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interviewing

do be personable
do dress appropriately
do send thank-you notes
do be on time
do your homework on where you're applying
do a mock interview with BDer

...that's what i've got.
where are you applying?

edit to add: i don't think you WOULDN'T do any of the above, just saying what i know.

do be personable
do dress appropriately
do send thank-you notes
do be on time
do your homework on where you're applying
do a mock interview with BDer

...that's what i've got.
where are you applying?

edit to add: i don't think you WOULDN'T do any of the above, just saying what i know.

haha BDer might just be my secret weapon. OSDToy has a position open at her company but if it doesn't pan out then I'll be applying other places...just general advice is helpful though...

I do all the hiring in the position I'm in now but hiring minimum wage workers isn't quite the same as what I'm hoping to interview for

-Do extensive research on the company/organization.
-Have answers planned (but not memorized like a speech) for the most common interview questions. Similarly, generate a mental pool of good stories/examples that showcase your value in the workplace. Don't be afraid to write these down and bring them with you (consult during waiting/down time, but no one else should see them).
-Prepare at least ten thoughtful questions to ask interviewers, hosts, panels, etc.
-Get the names, titles, and e-mails of everyone who interviews you. Send them a thank-you note afterward.
-Be yourself. Be calm. Be confident.

Last edited:
Don't be negative about anything. Even if they ask you a question that would seem to elicit a negative response find a way to phrase it is a positive way. Don't talk bad about former bosses or companies.

Find something other than the job to talk about. Look around the office for something that the interviewer is obviously interested in and ask him/her about it.

Also, make sure you have plenty of copies of your resume, along with paper and a writing utensil. If you have a padfolio, you can stick everything in there.

Find something other than the job to talk about. Look around the office for something that the interviewer is obviously interested in and ask him/her about it.

Was going to post this. I ended up talking about how great it was Wake beat State in football the past weekend and whether Bzz would have the basketball team winning games in the upcoming season. Also talked about the Panthers and the Winston-Salem Open tennis tournament. I got the job.

Other things:

-If there is more than one person interviewing, make eye contact with all of them frequently.
-If you don't understand a question, ask them to repeat it.
-Don't rush into answering a question without taking a moment to gather your thoughts.
-Don't ramble on to fill time. Just answer the question as best you can and finish your answer in a way that makes it obvious that you are done.

Don't talk about past sexual harassment claims.

Do admit that you have some trips planned to hedonism and will need some time off.

Profit.

Lots of good suggestions here already.

As was posted above, make sure you have some solid questions for them. For as much as they are interviewing you, you are also interviewing them. Make sure that you know what you are getting into if you are offered a position.

Good luck!

What is your profession? Medicine, law, accounting, sales?

talk to me about the importance of a suit for a woman. and hair etc...

I have a black skirtsuit that I wear with a button-down and leather pumps (the heels are 1.5"-2", they're short). It's pretty modest, but it's a skirt so still feminine... My hair is longer, I usually wear it in a neat ponytail with a bobby-pinned "bump" in the front, as that is how it looks nicest but not entirely harsh/austere. No dangly earrings.

If you don't have a suit, at least nice business slacks and a cardigan set would probably be appropriate.

I have a black skirtsuit that I wear with a button-down and leather pumps (the heels are 1.5"-2", they're short). It's pretty modest, but it's a skirt so still feminine... My hair is longer, I usually wear it in a neat ponytail with a bobby-pinned "bump" in the front, as that is how it looks nicest but not entirely harsh/austere. No dangly earrings.

same to all of this, except i do my hair just halfway pulled back (all the way pulled back doesn't look good on me), so that i don't risk messing with my hair during the interview (nervous habit of mine)

same to all of this, except i do my hair just halfway pulled back (all the way pulled back doesn't look good on me), so that i don't risk messing with my hair during the interview (nervous habit of mine)

i always mess with my hair...so this is a big concern for me.

Back