• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

The solo K is what would cause the income limit to kick in (assuming those things are indeed considered a "retirement plan at work"). I also asked my actual accountant (who I have medium trust in on these things, probably a bad sign) and he also believed that the solo K (or a SEP IRA) would both be considered a retirement plan at work.

Probably still makes sense to set up one of those self-employed retirement accounts for her and then do backdoor Roths for each of us.

The solo K is what would cause the income limit to kick in (assuming those things are indeed considered a "retirement plan at work"). I also asked my actual accountant (who I have medium trust in on these things, probably a bad sign) and he also believed that the solo K (or a SEP IRA) would both be considered a retirement plan at work.

Probably still makes sense to set up one of those self-employed retirement accounts for her and then do backdoor Roths for each of us.
Yes, the solo K and SEP are employer sponsored plans. The contribution limit for a solo K is $66k for 2023.

Does anyone have any advice on SMAs? My mom got a soft-sell on it from her current investor (she's had money with them for years and her account has done okay). She has been retired for awhile and hopes to use this money for current needs/gifts, and would like to leave a modest inheritance. The quick google search I did showed it was recommended for more of the wealthier investors , as well as those who want more control/decisions on their investments.

Does anyone have any advice on SMAs? My mom got a soft-sell on it from her current investor (she's had money with them for years and her account has done okay). She has been retired for awhile and hopes to use this money for current needs/gifts, and would like to leave a modest inheritance. The quick google search I did showed it was recommended for more of the wealthier investors , as well as those who want more control/decisions on their investments.
The way this is being sold is as a way to provide an investor with an individual stock portfolio where they would have otherwise been in funds (mutual or exchange traded). There can be some value to that approach in a taxable (non-qualified) account where tax management strategies are applicable and the platform expense is comparable to the expense ratios of the funds that would otherwise be involved. So, if your mom has capital gains concerns, I'd want to see something from the advisor that does a better job quantifying the range of specific benefits to your mom. Otherwise, if it's close to a neutral impact for her, I'd go with "if the status quo seems fine, why look to mess with it?"

I ran a publicly traded fund for years, and managed money for 20 plus years,

DeacinVermont sums it up well. My view is that between Finra and the large firms everyone else in the industry has been squeezed out. Active managemd has been strangled. A lot of brain power spent trying to beat market indexes by 50 basis points to substantiate fees, I think the entire industry is questionable in terms of value added. Until the Index mania breaks active management is a futile exercise despite all the talent.

It’s all marketing.

Surprised to see no chatter on the Bitcoin ETFs.
image.png

The ETFs buy and manage the coins instead.
Or you can look at those mining the coins, or building the tech that enables the mining.
Or an exchange like Coinbase that's just taking cuts on all transactions.

I guess it depends on what you are after. BLOK is pretty correlated with BTC but hasn't had nearly the volatility/upside. The past 5 years, BLOK is up 67% while BTC is up 1,117%. 57% vs. 134% the past year.

The BTC ETFs are gonna be a land grab... Very low fees from the ~11 approved players. Probably only 3-4 of them will succeed and the others will give up at some point. Will be fun to watch it play out.

I mean we are in the investment thread and there's a $111 deli meat slicer that gets good reviews on amazon. It's kinda worth $111 on the off chance someone asks to borrow it and I get to say they're not checked out on it.

Amazon product

Back