• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

My wife has 8k in student loans that we have to start paying on 12/26. I think it's something like 5k at 4.75% and 3k at 4.25%. Is there any reason why we shouldn't pay these off in full the day after Christmas? Both under 30, DINKs.

If that 8k isn’t part of your emergency fund, then go ahead and pay them off.

If they’ve accrued any interest, you’ll be able to deduct that on your taxes for 2019 if you’re below the income threshold.

I'm gearing up to pay off my student loans right now, the only real downside I can think of is that it's been on my credit report for close to 20 years now, which increases my average age of accounts. I almost want to leave them with a small amount due on them, especially since my average age of accounts is relatively low since I cycled alot of signup bonuses the past few years.

Speaking of which, I figure I have spent quite amount of time researching/testing it out so might as well share whatever knowledge I did receive as some people may find some of it useful.

Chase is the bank behind most of the cards with good signup bonuses, and they have a rule where they will automatically reject your application if you've applied for 5 cards within a 24 month period, so generally speaking, open all chase cards first before you move onto the other banks.

Chase's most popular card is the sapphire preferred or reserved. I've cycled these twice now over the past 5 years, but recently they changed it so you could only get the signup bonus every 4 years, opposed to every 2 years.

The reserve has 3x points on travel spend (including ubers/lyft) and restaurants. The points are generally valued at 2 cents a piece if you are able to transfer the points for free flights on a deal, but are worth a base of 1.5 cents a piece if you simply order a flight/hotel through their travel portal. I'd compare with travelocity before paying for something this way though.

People like to pair the chase sapphire with the chase freedom unlimited, which gives 1.5% cash back on all purchases, but you can transfer these to chase ultimate reward points if you have the reserve, so then it's more like 2.25-3.00 cents a purchase, where you put kinda miscellaneous purchases that don't usually have a bonus like travel or restaurants. Think like concert tickets or clothes shopping, etc. There's also the chase Freedom card which gives 5x points on various categories per quarter.

Chase also has cards with Southwest, Marriott, Hyatt, United, IHG, Iberia, British Airways, all which come with signup bonuses worth like $500-700 worth of free stuff. None of the hotel cards are amazing, but usually have a fee waived the first year, and you can either cancel before the year is up, or after that you get one free night stay each year to offset the $95 fee. The british airways card is nice, because if you ever get an AMEX card you can always transfer those points to British Airways at certain times per year where they offer a 40% points bonus. Using british airways points to fly domestically has been how I've generally found the most value on domestic flights, because you use the british airways points to fly american, and you get a better rate than if you just had american airlines points.

Chase also has a no annual fee card which gives 5% back at amazon.

Next up the Citibank has 3 cards with decent signup bonuses, the Prestige ($450 fee) Premier ($0 fee first year then $95 fee) and American Airlines card ($0 fee first year then $95 fee). The Prestige is nice in that you get 5x points at air travel & restaurants. The points are worth 1.25 cents (redeemed for travel through their portal) up to 1.7 cents (transferred to an airline partner and finding a deal). Restaurants is the bulk of my spending, so this is a nice return. You also get $250 in travel credits to offset the fee (I think you can wipe out uber charges with it) and the main big benefit of this card is if you frequently travel with big dollar hotel stays. Twice a year you get your 4th night free, so good for those that do at least 2 big trips per year, even if it's like a super expensive crazy room.

I'll probably get that card when I can, (You can cycle the citi bonuses every 2 years from when you open or close the card) but I recently got the cheaper Prestige, which I'll likely cancel before I have to pay a fee. That just gives 3x points on travel and gas, so I've been putting my ubers/lyfts on it mostly, and nothing else.

The American Airlines card just has like $850 worth of free airfare, and no annual fee the first year, so is nice to cycle.

Capital One Had a good venture rewards bonus of 10x points at hotels.com, mixed with hotels.com's own loyalty program works out to about 25% back off hotels, but that's ending soon. But other than that it's got a $500 in free travel signup bonus.

Bank of America Premium rewards has same thing, $500 free travel, and is otherwise fairly useless unless you also have an investment account with Merrill Lynch (or otherwise have $100k in BoA Accounts), then this card is basically 2.625% cash back on every purchase.

DiscoverIt has a good card with no annual fee that has 5% cash back on rotating categories every quarter. This quarter is Amazon, so I ended up saving $75 after getting the wife an ipad.

Amex's signup bonuses are once a lifetime, but they have hilton, delta, etc. which have $500-$750 signup bonuses. I happen to like the Amex Gold card, and put most of my everyday spending on this. $250 fee, but you get $120 in grubhub credits and $100 airline incidental credits per year. I order myself lunch for delivery at work at least once a month so can actually use the grubhub credits. I actually find the offers that AMEX offers to everyone that you annoyingly have to select as fairly valuable. This card gives 4x points at restaurants and grocery stores, and the points are worth up to 2 cents each.

The Amex offers are a little goofy, but do come in handy. It's like stay at a hotel in Vegas and spend $500 and get $100 off, etc. Or buy sunglasses, or at Macys, or Total Wine, etc. It's pretty good if you're ever going to shop for clothes or stay at a hotel. For example, I'm going to aspen for christmas, just happened to check the current offers 2 seconds ago for this post, and it gives a pretty good offer of almost 50% off for aspen ski tickets booking through aspensnowmass.com. So it is tracking my shit as that has never been an offer before, but it's helpful.

There are also a couple of decent signup bonuses if you have some cash that you aren't earning much interest on.

Discoverbank has 1.7% interest right now, and you get a $200 bonus if you transfer $25k. The bonus is paid in like 45 days and you can go from sign up to transfer in a couple of minutes.

Capital One has a similar 1.7% interest rate and a similar bonus from $200-$1,000 if you transfer $10k or $150k, but takes closer to 4 months to receive the bonus. Works out to about 4-5% Risk free on an annual basis, but they're probably more helpful to open one simply if you find you probably keep more money in your checking or general bank accounts that aren't earning interest.

Chase has some similar bonuses, and bonuses like $625 just for transferring money from say an E-Trade account to their chase investment platform. Also a $1,000 bonus for transferring $75k into their premier checking/savings accounts. Both of these I think you can almost do every year.

Citi has similar checking bonuses to chase, but they don't give a high interest rate, and unlike chase you can't count money held in their investment platform to get the bonus. So their $15k for 40k points promotion seems like the best bet to me, as those should come untaxable.

CIT bank $300 bonus and TD Ameritrade $1,000 have similar bonuses.

Holy shit that's long, then again, I've spent an ungodly amount of time researching the shit.

I haven’t gotten as deep as you have, Palma, but I’ve opened 3 cards this year. Hadn’t really used CCs besides a bank issued one. I opened a Chase Freedom Unlimited, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, and a Wells Fargo Propel.

I was surprised by the rewards of the Propel. 3x points on dining, bars, gas stations, ride shares, flights, hotels, and streaming services. The card doesn’t have any fees either. The Amex card is essentially a grocery only card, and I may bump up to the Blue Cash Preferred to get 6% back on groceries. Chase Freedom Unlimited gets used otherwise, but I’ve noticed since opening these cards that I don’t do a lot of shopping, so it doesn’t get used much.

Good post Palma, I'm in pretty much exact same boat as you.

Started out with the Chase Freedom, Preferred, and Unlimited 3-some to get 5% rotating, 2% travel/dining (no foreign fees), and 1.5% on everything else. Would transfer all points to the Preferred and redeem for 1.5x in their portal.

Once I tapped out all of those rewards, I moved over to the Citi American Airlines with first year waived. I'm still sitting on those points which we will use to go to Europe again this year. I think I received a targeted sign up bonus for 60k-70k on 2,000.00 spent in 3 months. Couldn't pass that up with my Chase well having run dry. You also get free checked bags on all domestic AA flights. Not that big of a deal, but saves you 30.00 a flight both ways if the bag isn't included in your ticket.

I just moved over to the AMEX Gold in September. Palma laid out the reward structure above. I just needed a new card to rack up a sign up bonus. Once again, I had a targeted offer for 15-20% more than they offer on their site. One benefit that Palma didn't mention, if you go to a lot of concerts, AMEX gets priority to ticketmaster presales as early as possible in the process. Like, before the "fan club" promo codes, early. You normally have the choice of any seat in the building with your AMEX concert presale code. That's scored me face value pit tickets twice now since having the card.

Good stuff plama.

Don’t worry too much about the age of accounts when paying off the loan. It’s a minimal part of your score and many companies will use old accounts and their payment histories when making a decision, even though they aren’t currently open.

just got rejected on two cards for the first time ever and the explanation letter said:

"Based on your credit report from one or more of the agencies on the back of this letter,number of bank cards tradelines opened in the last 24 months"

I guess I've been churning too often

Starting to get a little bit #nervous about the prospect of a decent size market correction in 2020. Anyone rebalancing or going more conservative with their investment portfolios in the near term?

One of my blogs has been pumping gold to $2,000 in the near term, granted he's been saying something like that for 10 years and if I had listened to him I'd have been out of equities the past 10 years. When every asset class is in a bubble, what's safe?

One of my blogs has been pumping gold to $2,000 in the near term, granted he's been saying something like that for 10 years and if I had listened to him I'd have been out of equities the past 10 years. When every asset class is in a bubble, what's safe?

People have been saying this same thing for 5-6 years, when you would have recovered your loss from the greatest plunge since the great depression in a little over two years.

I think if International stocks have been beaten down or have been underperforming the past few years perhaps that's where I may allocate to? I'm kinda churning that safe 4-5% from the banking bonuses above for the next 6 months and then am going to figure it out from there based on my guesses on how the election will go.

Starting to get a little bit #nervous about the prospect of a decent size market correction in 2020. Anyone rebalancing or going more conservative with their investment portfolios in the near term?

If you think the market will decline 10-20%, Short the market in your equity selections. Can Make as much money in a declining market as one that is advancing. Be sure to use caution and utilize stops.

I think every time the market goes up cause Trump tweets he's close to a china deal, short the bounce. Then when it goes down because of something stupid that he says, buy.

They said that last year around this time when the market was tanking. Then we had a huge 2019.

I picked the allocations I can live with for the next couple decades and will go with that.

I’m balls deep in gold and silver stocks right now. It’s been great the last 6-9 months. Will probably continue to hold for a while.

Among other things, of course.

private equity has been killing it for me. Outperfomring S&P with a considerable amount of fixed income in a great year.

After being a controller for a private equity real estate group that lost 100% of its investors $50MM in one fund and lost 90% of it in another $50MM fund, I can't pull the trigger on it. (Well hypothetically, as I can't invest in it anyways). After those two funds went south, a majority of their income came in the form of acquisition fees, loan fees, equity placement fees, etc. where they were peversely incentivized to just churn deals. I can't imagine paying so many 6 figure salaries to manage money through management fees and all the fees above to really beat out passive investing in the long term.

I also worked for successful PE shops (my job was to work part time at a variety of PE shops as an independent controller/investment relations function that had provided an independent reporting from the management company), but its entirely possible the successful ones were successful due to luck due to timing, eventhough they were fairly sharp guys.

Last edited:
My investments are in the publicly traded companies with the exception of one small investment in a rollup 5g cellphone tower concept.

All the ones that Liz Warren bitches about. Blackstone, Apollo, Icahn.....etc.

Back