• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

I don't understand finances obviously, but I looked at my Roth for shits and giggles this morning. It's a supplemental retirement account and I'm 14 years away from retiring at best, but Jesus Christ it was disconcerting. It had lost 10 percent of its total value since I checked on Friday.

I don't understand finances obviously, but I looked at my Roth for shits and giggles this morning. It's a supplemental retirement account and I'm 14 years away from retiring at best, but Jesus Christ it was disconcerting. It had lost 10 percent of its total value since I checked on Friday.

If you have liquid funds to add may want to add during this pullback. In 14 years you will be glad that you did.

If you have liquid funds to add may want to add during this pullback. In 14 years you will be glad that you did.

Anyone second this? I'm a teacher and hella dumb, but I've got some cash to move around.

ETA I already pull 15 percent of my monthly check into this account.

Been doing this privately for many years. If you have available money to invest it is always prudent to buy on a market pullback. Can it go down further? Certainly, based on technical analysis there are several support levels on the S&P that could be hit. These support levels are what the "whales" in the business i.e. $$$ mkt. funds (Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab etc) hedge funds look for and usually institute buy programs. There are times though these support areas will not hold and the decline continues. It's very fascinating and more often than not technical analysis works. I have done and still do investing based on fundamentals and value investing but rely on technical analysis. FWIW, since the sell off began couple weeks back I have only done one small trade. I should have been shorting the market but have not been able to stay in front of the screens as shorting the market is another issue...

Anyone second this? I'm a teacher and hella dumb, but I've got some cash to move around.

ETA I already pull 15 percent of my monthly check into this account.

Bro, buy $1,000 of USO at anything around $7. Six months from now, cash it in and buy season tickets.

If you have a ~15 year time horizon in an IRA, and your assumption is that if you buy in soon with the Dow at ~20k, and 15 years from now it will be something much higher than ~20k, is there any downside to jumping in with a 3x index ETF?

No one can with certainty predict the future.

But generally in a downturn such as this, the best move is to continue putting money in the market. Even more than usual, if able.

As long as you won’t (probably) need the money anytime soon. At least 5 years.

Edited to add, in this case I’m going to suggest at least 10 years.

Last edited:
fcoWqKC.gif

Moved some capital around and made some investments when market opened today. One more optimistic re: COVID19 and one not so much.

Optimistic side: CRISPR. Moonshot is CRISPR plays a role in a vaccine or COVID19 drug. Long-term play is this entire situation leads to increased investing and confidence in life sciences / discovery.
CRISP, EDIT, NTLA, and IBB

Pessimistic side: Death. Latest estimates are around 1M additional U.S. deaths, about a 25% increase YoY. In general, death industry is fairly safe (ppl always dying, especially boomers) but it is slowly being disrupted. Transparency in options has led to funeral homes profits decreasing. In addition, consumers are choosing cremation more often which is significantly cheaper than burial services and the add-ons.
SCI and CSV

Every fiber in my body says this market is going to just keep going down. Specifically after seeing what Spain, France, and UK have announced in the past 24 hours...if the U.S. took similar measures, the markets would have the worst day in their history.

Am I wrong? Please convince me if so.

Every fiber in my body says this market is going to just keep going down. Specifically after seeing what Spain, France, and UK have announced in the past 24 hours...if the U.S. took similar measures, the markets would have the worst day in their history.

Am I wrong? Please convince me if so.

I'm with you. There aren't even videos of mass graves or overflowed hospitals yet. Hard to see how things go up after that. Odds are congressman are going to die, its going to sweep around Washington & Trump will eventually get it if he doesn't have it already. People haven't missed paychecks yet, mass firings haven't happened yet. All of that will happen, so hard to see it going up. I guess the only hope is that Italy has a mutated strain that's more deadly than what we have circulating around.

Last edited:
I'm with you. There aren't even videos of mass graves or overflowed hospitals yet. Hard to see how things go up after that. Odds are congressman are going to die, its going to sweep around Washington & Trump will eventually get it if he doesn't have it already. People haven't missed paychecks yet, mass firings haven't happened yet. All of that will happen, so hard to see it going up. I guess the only hope is that Italy has a mutated strain that's more deadly than what we have circulating around.

Sad palma is cry from “are you not entertained?” Tunnels troll, palma.

Even sadder, I think you’re right.

looks like almost all the bullion available by online brokers seems to be "sold out" Either people are scooping it all up because the prices are down and for safe haven, or the brokers don't want to sell at this price.

I bought a bunch like 2 weeks ago and it's down like 12% since then, but I really like the prices now and want to double down. Can't find any anywhere.

Know there is a great deal of uncertainty in the equity markets. Been reading this weekend on several sites, some feel we hit a market bottom on Friday around 3 PM. I am posting this video for all to see that discusses the markets from a technical perspective. Even if you are unfamiliar with technical analysis this is a good 36 min. video on market levels and support areas. Good deal of discussion on oil also. I have been following this group since '07. Hope you are able to gather some valuable information from this video. Just remember cash and liquidity is a position too! If you would like additional info on "Shadowtrader" PM me and I will respond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hui...-31617723&mc_cid=8e2b2b30cb&mc_eid=eb7f94540e

No planned market timing for me. In for the long haul. I’ll just be looking for some tax loss harvesting on the way down this week.

For sure. And substantially identical vs not. Limited situations where it’ll work for me but if this gets as bad as it could, there will be a lot of loss positions to choose from.

looks like almost all the bullion available by online brokers seems to be "sold out" Either people are scooping it all up because the prices are down and for safe haven, or the brokers don't want to sell at this price.

I bought a bunch like 2 weeks ago and it's down like 12% since then, but I really like the prices now and want to double down. Can't find any anywhere.

So the metals market is wild. Paper prices on lets say Silver went from $18/oz to under $12/oz. I bought about a month ago when it dipped to $16.50, and paid like a .50 premium for total costs of like $17. Now even when paper prices went down to under $12, all the dealers sold out, so the premiums shot up from like 3% to up to like 30-40%. So right now, buying the same thing that cost me $17 when paper prices were $16.50 would now cost me $18 when paper prices are $13.50, So I might actually be up now if I sold?

Back