• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Invisibilia Podcast/Radio Show

SteelCityDeac

Reaction score
"Invisibilia (Latin for all the invisible things) is about the invisible forces that control human behavior - ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions. Co-hosted by Lulu Miller and Alix Spiegel, Invisibilia interweaves narrative storytelling with scientific research that will ultimately make you see your own life differently." from NPR

Trying to fill the void left by Serial, I checked out this podcast by some This American Life producers. It's the pilot episode and so far, so good. Anyone else listen to this gem?

http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/

I liked the first episode. It was very similar to Radiolab, and somewhat like This American Life.

The parts on psychoanalysis, CBT, and mindfulness brought me back to my school days.

I liked the first episode. It was very similar to Radiolab, and somewhat like This American Life.

The parts on psychoanalysis, CBT, and mindfulness brought me back to my school days.

Didn't Radiolab do a similar bit about echolocation in humans?

After listening to this episode, I now have a new fear in life. I've never been scared of dying, but dear god, being a conscious vegetable with no one knowing you're there sounds like absolute hell. Pouring hot tea/coffee down his throat, keeping him in cold baths for too long, nurses abusing him and having to watch Barney episodes day after day simply because no one knew he was even awake.

It's awesome he came out of that and was able to write a book about his experiences but not sure I'd be up for living through that. And as he said, if he had the choice, he wouldn't have either.

I accidentally deleted the RadioLab one because I didn't realize they were all different. Whoops.

Whoa that was a cool story with S and exposure therapy and the knife. I couldn't stop laughing at the end when he kept saying 'murder your wife' 'murder your wife' murder your wife' to conjure up the thought. Not sure what that says about me but I don't care. My first thought after listening was "so the 'bruce wayne going into the batcave in batman begins' stuff actually works in real life!"

After reading nonny's comments I'll pass on the other link.

That doc is crazy to let someone with homicidal thoughts hold a knife to his throat.

Cool way to compare and contrast therapy styles.

It reinforced my own mindset that Freudian psychoanalysis is the least effective, outdated style.

Exposure therapy seems effective but only with specific circumstances/fears.

Before this I had a basic understanding of CBT and viewed it as the most effective therapy style. Once again the podcast confirmed my beliefs. CBT therapy is logical and it identifies and deprioritizes bad thoughts through observing how they influence behaviors (look for evidence behind 'people don't like me' etc...oh wait there is no evidence). My wife works with troubled youth who have experienced trauma and she utilizes TF-CBT (trauma focused CBT) and dives into the bad thoughts resulting from traumas. I can't imagine how hard that is to execute.

3rd wave/mindfulness therapy (never heard of it before the podcast) is meditation-based (focus your attention elsewhere) and it doesn't acknowledge the bad thoughts at all because the simple act of acknowledging them gives them power. I get that, but it's basically a meditation session? It doesn't seem as concrete as CBT.

Hanna Rosin To Join NPR's Invisibilia As Season 2 Co-Host With Alix Spiegel And Lulu Miller

NPR announced today that author Hanna Rosin will join hosts Alix Spiegel and Lulu Miller for the second season of Invisibilia, expected to release in summer 2016. The hit program about the unseen forces that shape human behavior — ideas, beliefs, assumptions and thoughts — is produced by NPR's award-winning Science Desk. In its second season, Invisibilia will have a run of seven, one-hour episodes broadcast on participating public radio stations and available as a podcast;excerpts will also be featured on NPR's newsmagazines.

Behind the times, I know, but I just started listening to Invisibilia this week. It has been on my list for a while after hearing a preview episode on another podcast (the Radiolab one I think). Enjoying it so far.

Back