• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iPhone 5 Commercial "Gigantic"

Ralph Medlin

Reaction score
They must know what that song is about right? Which begs the question, why would they choose it?

Or did some clueless marketing guru pick the song?

They must know what that song is about right? Which begs the question, why would they choose it?

Or did some clueless marketing guru pick the song?

They should have waited to use this song when the bigger IPhone 6 is launched. Presumably, it will come in black....

I wonder if the whole band gets paid for that or just Kim and Black Francis.

I'm sure the people making the decisions have no idea what the song is about. That said, I like the commercial, and it is a good song that you don't have to think about the lyrics for to enjoy. And I'm never going to complain about more Pixies.

Mrs. Mandingo approves.

The Pixies were a huge part of my high school/college soundtrack. Saw them at the Roxy in Atlanta once. Couldn't have been more than 80 people there. Amazing. Never thought they'd be in a huge commercial ad but there it is. Some commercial even mentions the Ramones. Sign o' the times...

"One Headlight" by the Wallflowers is in a commercial that prob would have used classic rock 10 years ago...I guess Wallflowers is old now too

Mrs. Mandingo approves.

The Pixies were a huge part of my high school/college soundtrack. Saw them at the Roxy in Atlanta once. Couldn't have been more than 80 people there. Amazing. Never thought they'd be in a huge commercial ad but there it is. Some commercial even mentions the Ramones. Sign o' the times...

it's just Pixies, my friend.

this moment of pedantry goes out to KickballDeac.

As opposed to...

Should have said only for the money. But pride, excitement, desire to reach a new audience, or, hell, general artistry are ok reasons on top of that. None of which were on display at that show (or many others that year, by most accounts), which was my point.

Obviously. But when the show sucks, it doesn't necessarily follow you go home and smash all your 33s or cassettes or whatever the kids are listening to these days.

Is that what he did?

After watching them sleepwalk through their set in Charlotte, after Black Francis admitted they were touring for the money, THE pixies can shove it.

Francis certainly seems excited to be there and playing for the crowd.

Back