• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria

It won't if we don't let it. If Iran wants to intervene in a war between a despotic regime and terrorists, let them.

Last edited:
In case you need a visual of the current alliances:

WaPo%20Map.jpg

It won't if we don't let it. If Iran wants to intervene in a war between a despotic regime and terrorists, let them.

Absolutely but it looks like our president is letting war hungry Graham and McCain push him into it.

Graham, McCain, and the Republican Party and "humanitarian" warmongers on the Dem side.

Seriously folks. A rogue regime, Al-Qaeda and Iran are in a war and we want to pick a side and fight? No way there is a winning option for us.

Absolutely but it looks like our president is letting war hungry Graham and McCain push him into it.

For Christ's sake. It is statements like these that get us into situations like these in the first place. Do you really think that McCain, who had his fingernails pulled out by the North Vietnamese, just likes war? You aren't qualified to call him a warmonger. Guess who was called a warmonger prior to World War II? Winston Churchill. Franklin Delano Roosvelt. Anthony Eden. Alarmists all of them. As it turns out McCain and Graham are just two of a few people on the Hill who understand grand strategy.

This situation has been bungled from the start. It started with signals from the administration that we were no longer going to be concerned with what happened in the Middle East. Withdrawing from Iraq and leaving behind no military presence, then unilaterally declaring victory in Afghanistan, leaving the Taliban to their own devices in 2014. We repeatedly let Iran cross red line after red line with its nuclear program, and then let Syria cross its red line with regard to chemical weapons. All bark, no bite. If we had gotten involved with Syria much earlier, we could have declared a no fly zone, and guided the opposition. Now the situation is desperate enough and the rebels are organized enough that we can have no say in who gets what. The Russians have deployed S-300s, so a no fly zone is out. If we had finished Assad while he was down, the likelihood of further Iranian escalation would have been minimal. Now we are on the verge of being dealt a strategic defeat, and barring actual military intervention, which I doubt the President has the balls for, the Middle East will fall firmly into Iranian/Russian sphere of influence. Which means more diplomatic hostility from states that relied on US power, like Georgia, Azerbaijan, and the Gulf oil states, rising oil prices, and a nuclear Iran, which will have achieved full regional hegemony. This of course assumes that this conflict does not turn into a regional war between the Sunni bloc/Israel and the Shia bloc/Russia, which seems to me to be the more likely scenario if the United States does not quickly demonstrate that it will not tolerate an Iranian dominated region. And none of this is even considering the impact all this is having on East Asian relations. China is watching very closely. What do you think all this bluffing suggests to them about our military commitments to Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea?

I'll never understand why the isolationist viewpoint still holds any sway in this country. Do you really believe that if we just sit back and hope everything works out for us it will? The last seven decades of world stability, burgeoning freedom, and expanding global commerce were bought with American, British, and French lives. Retreating within our borders now will make all of that go to waste. You have to work to make the world a better place, especially if you're the world's strongest free democracy. A hundred years of leading by example got us the bloodiest century in human history. And if we turn back to that path now, the 21st century won't be all that different.

Last edited:
What exactly was gained from intervening in Iraq and Afghanistan?

We NEVER had a right or nay legitimate justification to start a war in Iraq. To think we should have or had the right to leave a military in a sovereign nation that doesn't want us there has no validity.

Going there harmed us immeasurably. To think we should have stayed makes no sense whatsoever.

What exactly was gained from intervening in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Nothing will have been gained if everything goes forward as planned. In fact, both will have been serious setbacks. The Bush administration handled Iraq quite poorly, dismantling the army and other institutional structures that would have helped Iraq be able to stand up to Iran. Not to mention the fact that we pulled out too early, well before they were prepared to face the challenge. The whole point of Iraq was so that we wouldn't be faced with the same choice we were faced with in the '80s, having to support a hostile, undemocratic regime in order to prevent an even more hostile, Soviet aligned regime from gaining predominance in the region. Instead, we have left a state that is somewhat friendly, but far too weak to face down the looming Iranian threat.

Lets be honest, this is a war being spearheaded by Sunni and Shia extremists, and their benefactors.

I have no problem watching from the sidelines as the annihilate each other, in the name of Allah.

TR1982 fighting for the stupidest post ever posted on these Boards award.

If you say so. All I know is that this situation has unfolded pretty much exactly how I expected it to, while all you doves were predicting a quick rebel victory, and that no one would fight over Syria.

Nothing will have been gained if everything goes forward as planned. In fact, both will have been serious setbacks. The Bush administration handled Iraq quite poorly, dismantling the army and other institutional structures that would have helped Iraq be able to stand up to Iran. Not to mention the fact that we pulled out too early, well before they were prepared to face the challenge. The whole point of Iraq was so that we wouldn't be faced with the same choice we were faced with in the '80s, having to support a hostile, undemocratic regime in order to prevent an even more hostile, Soviet aligned regime from gaining predominance in the region. Instead, we have left a state that is somewhat friendly, but far too weak to face down the looming Iranian threat.

And how does intervention in Syria leave us with a better alternative? Intervening in Middle East leaves us with the choice of installing a friendly government which makes us more unpopular or accepting a potentially unfriendly government to be chosen or take power. It is rarely more than a lose-lose scenario. If our budget problems are as real as we are lead to believe, very little is gained, and a lot more is lost from intervening. It seems callous because it is, but it's reality. I'm not interested in bringing home more body bags and dead heroes or another war that accomplishes no tangible benefit in another decade.

If you say so. All I know is that this situation has unfolded pretty much exactly how I expected it to, while all you doves were predicting a quick rebel victory, and that no one would fight over Syria.

How did you predict Iraq and Afghanistan to go, Nostradamus?

You're whole spiel about "isolationist viewpoints" is ridiculous, dude. You're arguing for more war, death and destruction -- essentially, are you not? Because you have some belief that American action/intervention is virtuous? How about study some history about former Empires and see that America is quite clearly repeating the mistakes of ever empire that came before it.

Human history is destined to repeat itself. So argue all you like about a "New American Century" for the 21st Century, but it's gonna be the same as the century before and the one before that and the one before that, because those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

You're whole spiel about "isolationist viewpoints" is ridiculous, dude. You're arguing for more war, death and destruction -- essentially, are you not? Because you have some belief that American action/intervention is virtuous? How about study some history about former Empires and see that America is quite clearly repeating the mistakes of ever empire that came before it.

Human history is destined to repeat itself. So argue all you like about a "New American Century" for the 21st Century, but it's gonna be the same as the century before and the one before that and the one before that, because those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

I'd like to think I'm pretty well versed in history. I'd advise you to read Churchill's six volume history of the Second World War, any history of the Napoleonic Wars and the Congress of Vienna, and hell, throw in some Thucydides while you're at it. You could not be more correct. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. History has been repeating itself over and over, and we still seem to be incapable of learning its lessons.

Last edited:
Back