• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Iron Man 3 (spoilers)

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-There-Won-t-An-Iron-Man-4-37358-p2.html

The case for not doing Iron Man 4.

Got to agree that they closed the trilogy up pretty tight with the shrapnel surgery. And the slate is pretty busy. No question. All good reasons to stop at 3.

Hard to see Downey, Jr. or Marvel/Disney turning down the money though. Probably looking at a half billion before Monday.

I got that vibe from that interview.

I'm sure that's right up until Disney knocks on his door with a line of wheelbarrows full of bags of money. Guys like Jackman and Depp sure don't seem to have a problem continuing on as the same characters for the absurd amount of cash it brings them.

I don't get actors, sometimes. Stark seems like the easiest, most natural job Downey Jr. could ever have. If you told me "Hey, I have a job that will be stupidly easy, everyone will love you for doing it, and we'll give you eleventy bajillion dollars to do it...interested in doing it for the next decade or so?" I don't think I'd ever be like "WELL, ya know, I don't want to get typecast or anything."

I'm sure that's right up until Disney knocks on his door with a line of wheelbarrows full of bags of money. Guys like Jackman and Depp sure don't seem to have a problem continuing on as the same characters for the absurd amount of cash it brings them.

I don't get actors, sometimes. Stark seems like the easiest, most natural job Downey Jr. could ever have. If you told me "Hey, I have a job that will be stupidly easy, everyone will love you for doing it, and we'll give you eleventy bajillion dollars to do it...interested in doing it for the next decade or so?" I don't think I'd ever be like "WELL, ya know, I don't want to get typecast or anything."

RDJ seems like more of the artist type who wants a little variety in his work. He's never won an Oscar, right? He should have for Chaplin. He won't ever win one for Stark, and he might want to go after some of those roles that get him one.

Here was my problem:

In the first movie, Tony was captured by the Ten Rings:
IM1-1.jpg

They never explicitly state it, but in the third movie it is implied that Mandarin is the current leader of Ten Rings:
tumblr_mm1lwgPZFY1s19bmno1_1280.jpg

The leader of the group that almost killed him is on TV, blowing shit up (9 total bombs, 3 that were public) and Tony is sitting in his basement, building a new robot suit with an iron dong to bone Pepper with.

He's got 40 fucking suits he can wear - all of which can be controlled by Jarvis so no actual human life is at risk - and Tony doesn't do shit until Jon Favreau gets blown up while looking for some General Tso's chicken. And even then, all he does is give out his address and hide.

I thought it was a fun movie, better than Iron Man 2 and that's all it needed to be. Wrapped up the Tony Stark arc for me.

Loved the scene w/ the little boy, they have done a good job of showing how we would react to superheros existing. I never once thought "oh man, why don't the Avengers just assemble?"

The Thor 2 and Superman and Star Trek trailers before the movie kinda spoiled things but Iron Man 3 was a great amuse bouche for the upcoming heavy hitters of summer and fall. Those 3 are much more serious than IM3 but I thought it was perfect early summer popcorn movie.

Also liked that they put the scientist that helped Tony in IM 1 in the Bern scene, great call back to the first film.

Also liked that they put the scientist that helped Tony in IM 1 in the Bern scene, great call back to the first film.

Good call, Go. I thought he looked familiar but didn't make that connection.

Big fan of the "botanist" by the way. Love that soft brunette look.

Billy Mitchell, I see what you're saying. I think the simple answer is that Killian is and has been The Mandarin and the leader of Ten Rings and made an attempt on Stark in Iron Man 1. I guess you could also contend that at some point Killian took over an active Ten Rings terrorist organization. Both explanations make sense and don't destroy continuity.

As far as the revenge part, Tony was letting the government and Iron Patriot handle it. Obviously, Stark wasn't too worried about what could happen to him. It wasn't until Happy was injured that it got real and he felt he needed to get involved.

What I didn't get is how many people were in on the joke. It seemed like a lot of people, too many to require all the pomp and circumstance with the arrival of "The Master" at the Miami compound.

Good call, Go. I thought he looked familiar but didn't make that connection.

Big fan of the "botanist" by the way. Love that soft brunette look.

Billy Mitchell, I see what you're saying. I think the simple answer is that Killian is and has been The Mandarin and the leader of Ten Rings and made an attempt on Stark in Iron Man 1. I guess you could also contend that at some point Killian took over an active Ten Rings terrorist organization. Both explanations make sense and don't destroy continuity.

As far as the revenge part, Tony was letting the government and Iron Patriot handle it. Obviously, Stark wasn't too worried about what could happen to him. It wasn't until Happy was injured that it got real and he felt he needed to get involved.

What I didn't get is how many people were in on the joke. It seemed like a lot of people, too many to require all the pomp and circumstance with the arrival of "The Master" at the Miami compound.

I figured Stark didn't get involved in the beginning because he was still gun shy from New York. I would assume there was some significant physical rehab involved from his little missile ride through the wormhole. It was almost like a Dark Knight returns situation.

Once you create a world in which gods exist, you have to explain why they can't help. I thought they did it very subtly. The early scene where Rhodey called Mandarin an American problem, not a superhero problem was good.

I get why Thor was a no-show, but what about Captain America? Where was that dude during all this? He is, after all, Captain AMERICA. Step up, bro.

Got to agree that they closed the trilogy up pretty tight with the shrapnel surgery. And the slate is pretty busy. No question. All good reasons to stop at 3.

Hard to see Downey, Jr. or Marvel/Disney turning down the money though. Probably looking at a half billion before Monday.

With that happening at the end of Iron Man 3, doesn't this also create plot issues with The Avengers 2 and Iron Man being a part of it? Since it seems like they are trying to keep all of these movies tied together based on a lot of references to the Avengers movie in Iron Man 3, how is Iron Man going to be in The Avengers 2 after removing the shrapnel from his chest?

Stark had the shrapnel removed long ago in the comics, but continues to act as Iron Man with the Avengers. It shouldn't be a problem for Stark to continue on as Iron Man.

Stark had the shrapnel removed long ago in the comics, but continues to act as Iron Man with the Avengers. It shouldn't be a problem for Stark to continue on as Iron Man.

Kinda bugs me that it took 3 movies for an apparently simple surgery to remove the shrapnel from his chest...why wouldn't that be the first thing he did after returning from the Afghanistan cave in IM1?

Also a little confused about Killian's objective...it made sense that Extremis was faulty and he wanted Tony's help to get it stable, which explains the abduction/injection of Pepper...and that The Mandarin was (I guess?) used to cover up the accidents with Extremis subjects exploding....but what was the point of abducting the President/etc? Was it high pressure tactics to get Tony to relent and help Killian with his research?

He had the whole conversation with Tony about having the leader of the Western world in one hand and the most powerful terrorist in the other, but how does that benefit him?

It's like the started with making him out to perfect Extremis and make billions on limb/tissue regeneration, then switched it to a world domination thing. Maybe I missed something, which is entirely possible.

There was a pretty good case for not making a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but then Johnny Depp and Disney realized the gobs of money they would be forfeiting if they didn't. I'm sure the same will happen here.

Kinda bugs me that it took 3 movies for an apparently simple surgery to remove the shrapnel from his chest...why wouldn't that be the first thing he did after returning from the Afghanistan cave in IM1?

Also a little confused about Killian's objective...it made sense that Extremis was faulty and he wanted Tony's help to get it stable, which explains the abduction/injection of Pepper...and that The Mandarin was (I guess?) used to cover up the accidents with Extremis subjects exploding....but what was the point of abducting the President/etc? Was it high pressure tactics to get Tony to relent and help Killian with his research?

He had the whole conversation with Tony about having the leader of the Western world in one hand and the most powerful terrorist in the other, but how does that benefit him?

It's like the started with making him out to perfect Extremis and make billions on limb/tissue regeneration, then switched it to a world domination thing. Maybe I missed something, which is entirely possible.

VP was Killian's man. By killing Pres, VP becomes Pres. Would have legalized what he was doing, and given him tons of money. What Killian was doing was illegal.

There's a lot of money and power to controlling both sides of a conflict.

I don't remember from Iron Man 1, but I don't think it was a simple shrapnel removal surgery. There was some major life risk.

VP was Killian's man. By killing Pres, VP becomes Pres. Would have legalized what he was doing, and given him tons of money. What Killian was doing was illegal.

That's what I missed...the genetic tampering was illegal...that ties it all together, so that works.

Thanks

There's a lot of money and power to controlling both sides of a conflict.

I don't remember from Iron Man 1, but I don't think it was a simple shrapnel removal surgery. There was some major life risk.

Yea, the throw away 5 second clip of the surgery at the end of this movie seemed to minimalize that though.

Back