• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

IRS Tax preparer training

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
My brother is a retired CPA/ partner at E&Y who volunteers each year to do taxes for the elderly. I received the following from him this morning:

"For a few years I've volunteered to do tax returns at a nearby library (last year Las Vegas beckoned so I took a year off). Anyway, we get "retrained" every year using IRS materials, including sample problems. The IRS provides answers. so you can check if you did the work correctly. It turns out that every IRS answer is incorrect. Your tax dollars at work"

I volunteered to prepare returns with the VITA program (for the poor, rather than the elderly) for a few years and you have to pass a test each year. There are basic, intermediate and advanced tests. We had 4 tax lawyers at my firm (myself included) fail the intermediate test because a number of the IRS answers were wrong (we all passed the basic and advanced tests and then called the IRS out on their wrong answers). This is just to say I am not surprised.

Back