• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is America the most brainwashed country on Earth?/least scientific belief

Uh, no. It's not.

giphy.gif

There is this entire country located on the eastern Mediterranean that think they are some mythical God's chosen people.

That seems pretty brainwashed to me.

I want to meet the 4% that believe smoking doesn't cause cancer. They must be the predestination crowd that think everything has been written or something. However thank you the rest of you 96% for believing science and research.

Only 4%. I'd think that would be higher given how many people smoke and how many people don't trust science.

Only 4%. I'd think that would be higher given how many people smoke and how many people don't trust science.
That lack of trust isn't exactly without reason. "Science" has had a pretty shitty track record the past 30+ years regarding things most people deal with, especially food/nutrition.

Eh, that's the entire history of science. One scientist trying to prove another wrong.

Of course every generation always thinks that they are the ones who finally have it all figured out, but they never do.

Last edited:
He's probably talking about the back and forth on questions like "do eggs cause high cholesterol?" or "is it ok to have wine when pregnant?"

I don't think the problem is science. It's probably more the journalists dumbing down the findings for the public.

He's probably talking about the back and forth on questions like "do eggs cause high cholesterol?" or "is it ok to have wine when pregnant?"

I don't think the problem is science. It's probably more the journalists dumbing down the findings for the public.

Or, more specifically, reporting irresponsibly on single, soft studies that hint at correlation rather than 10+ year meta-studies that can hold up over larger populations with more statistical and experimental rigor.

Well said. The science illiterate public makes it harder for the public to understand science.

I mean, to be fair, it's not like doctors haven't been doling out diet advice on those same studies.

Yeah it's easy for pour to make a claim that the science has been bad for 30 years, but it's also pretty ridiculous.

I think nutrition science has come to realize in the last 25 years at least that there is a ton left to be understood about the gut and the microbiomes of the digestive tract in general.

Not to mention, it's not all about the science of nutrition, there are also commercial and behavioral trends to monitor; e.g., artificial sweeteners, antibiotics, GM crops, etc.

That lack of trust isn't exactly without reason. "Science" has had a pretty shitty track record the past 30+ years regarding things most people deal with, especially food/nutrition.

lol thanks for confusing "Science" with "Marketing, Fads, and Deliberate Misinformation"

I mean, to be fair, it's not like doctors haven't been doling out diet advice on those same studies.

Responsible doctors haven't.

Medicine moves very, very slowly when it comes to research. Conventional wisdom in medicine and practice moves glacially compared to research, for the [good] reason that it's hard to identify good science.

I would also continue to argue against pour's line of logic that given the fact that in the last decade, biomedical research funding has been slashed, grants are given to A) top labs, and B) incremental and slow, safe science.

Back