• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Grobe the best we can do?

Below are the records of all the football coaches at Wake. Grobe is by far one of the best coaches we have ever had. Not to get all LOWF but one has to wonder if we can do better. I agree that Lobo is a disaster as an OC but before we get too critical of Grobe, maybe we need to keep things in perspective how difficult it is to win at Wake in football.

Seriously man, you must wake up in the morning thinking of LOWF after dreaming LOWF dreams all night. We rushed for 15 yards against a team from the Sunbelt (that I had never heard of before) three games into a season that was supposed to emphasize our running game. We are a complete embarrassment. There's not some ancient curse on Wake Forest (although it sometimes seems that way) that magically causes our teams to suck for no reason. Of course we can do better. Will we make tough personnel decisions, will we invest even more in our programs, will we go after the best players? I doubt it. But that just means we suck because our leadership sucks and big donors suck. We self-impose our suck and the thinking like what's in your post is like throwing more suck fuel on the suck fire.

Early Grobe or Grobe the Elder? There is a huge difference.

No room for tears with the dollar signs in his eyes.

ky9au99

Grobe is NOT the best we can do. We need some young blood to come in and shake things up.

Grobe's prior success as our coach means we can now do better. A strange case of him making the bed, lying in it and then shitting it.

Wake can do way better. Grobe has done a lot of good things for the school, but all good things eventually come to an end. Unless something drastic happens with the rest of the season(not likely), he has to go and Wellman needs to bring in someone fresh(also not likely). I'd be even willing to take a guy who we know is going to use Wake as a stepping stone to a bigger job. At least make the team relevant again.

Grobe's contract is guaranteed money right? If so, this conversation isn't going to get any traction. No way we eat that contract.

Grobe's contract is guaranteed money right? If so, this conversation isn't going to get any traction. No way we eat that contract.

No, but Wellman could force him to fire Lobo. Grobe may walk then. It's more likely Grobe would decide the whole loyalty to staff thing isn't worth $2.5M/year and just shut up and take it. Either way we'd be better off. No coach wants to work for Wellman anyway, so it's not like he's going to scare anyone off with this move. It's pretty much a win-win.

Coach Grobe spoke to a Deacon Club group in Rocky Mount, NC in the spring of 2001 after he was hired. He spoke about and told me some things his teams at Wake would never look like or do. He has gone back on his word and allowed incompetence and lethargy to take over. Lobo, Knorr, and Reeve need to go. New blood transfusion is needed. Now.

Coach Grobe spoke to a Deacon Club group in Rocky Mount, NC in the spring of 2001 after he was hired. He spoke about and told me some things his teams at Wake would never look like or do. He has gone back on his word and allowed incompetence and lethargy to take over. Lobo, Knorr, and Reeve need to go. New blood transfusion is needed. Now.

What did he mention?

I remember meeting Grobe at a golf course in WS during my last year at wake in 2001. I remember him talking about how we were going to do this and that in football, and i remember thinking "oh, he's so cute. he thinks we can actually be competitive in football. he'll learn." the thing is, he showed that we could be competitive. and therein lies the problem. he's forgotten that fire he had 12 years ago when he came in with something to prove...

We should reassign Lobo and hire Jerry Moore for the remainder of the season while looking for permanent fix. I know Moore is old but he put some high powered offenses on the field at App. St.

Guess I am getting desperate.

Grobe could hire someone who has actually coordinated an effective offense.

Back