• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is he fired yet?

No, he will still be around next year and we'll show just enough improvement for Ronnie to keep him after next year. So get used to watching poorly coached teams for at least a couple more years.

So for the give him one more year crowd does anyone actually think there will be enough improvement to keep DM? I just can't believe anyone really thinks there will be meaningful improvement. Could someone please chime in. Why another year? Just because? Please enlighten me.

So for the give him one more year crowd does anyone actually think there will be enough improvement to keep DM? I just can't believe anyone really thinks there will be meaningful improvement. Could someone please chime in. Why another year? Just because? Please enlighten me.

No, I don't and I don't support it, I'm just saying that is what's going to happen whether we like it or not. I do think there will be enough improvement in Ronnie boy's eyes to keep him, but how hard will it be to improve on this year? Shouldn't be too hard.

One more year will just dig a deeper hole. Eight years digging is way too many.

No, I don't and I don't support it, I'm just saying that is what's going to happen whether we like it or not. I do think there will be enough improvement in Ronnie boy's eyes to keep him, but how hard will it be to improve on this year? Shouldn't be too hard.

Agree--Manning is here for two more years, and then will be fired. We will improve to 7 or 8 Acc wins next year, but of course not make post season. Then with Crawford and Doral graduating, the following year will be a disaster with no scoring in the backcourt ( although Childress will be a very good senior pg), or in the post. Our wings may be good with Chaundre, Hoard and Mucius, but not enough to offset the other weaknesses. This scenario assumes a weak 2019 class which seems likely.

This is the Lost Decade. Another year of Manning.. meh? I mean, no, he isn't going to turn it around magically, but really who gives a shit? Buzz pretty much killed any enthusiasm that existed. I don't think anyone is passionate enough to demand a change anymore.

Besides, do you want Ron Wellman hiring another basketball coach? Maybe the extra Manning year gets us one year closer to Ron's retirement.. That would give the new AD the chance to make his mark on the school.

Oh heavens yes!!!

Rapid turnover in coaches is another contributor to mediocrity or worse.

Rapid turnover in coaches is another contributor to mediocrity or worse.

If we had just kept [Redacted] for the long term, we'd be a great team.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Coaches get turned over rapidly because they aren't getting the job done. That's not the same as turnover contributing to mediocrity.

Sometimes I think some of our fans have the mindset that it's cool our coach is Danny Manning and give him enough time he'll do alright. Heck, at first I was guilty of thinking, hey Danny freaking Manning is our coach, cool! I mean wouldn't be great if he was successful here? How great a face is Danny Manning for a program. However, we're 4 years in and it's not any better than [Redacted]. Yeah, yeah we made the play in round of the NCAA tournament when we had the best player we've had since at least Aminu or maybe even CPIII, big deal. People turned on Bzzz really quickly because he was a no name and an a-hole, terrible face of the program. However, if you look at Danny's very short resume and lack of head coaching experience and now the results 4 years in, he was no better a hire than Bzzz was. It was just with Danny, 1) he was replacing someone as hated as Trump is by the left except we were all the left when it came to Bzzz, and 2) he is Danny freaking Manning and it was cool having a college legend coaching our team. Take the emotion out of it and Danny is Bzzzz v.2 through 4 years at least.

Sometimes I think some of our fans have the mindset that it's cool our coach is Danny Manning and give him enough time he'll do alright. Heck, at first I was guilty of thinking, hey Danny freaking Manning is our coach, cool! I mean wouldn't be great if he was successful here? How great a face is Danny Manning for a program. However, we're 4 years in and it's not any better than [Redacted]. Yeah, yeah we made the play in round of the NCAA tournament when we had the best player we've had since at least Aminu or maybe even CPIII, big deal. People turned on Bzzz really quickly because he was a no name and an a-hole, terrible face of the program. However, if you look at Danny's very short resume and lack of head coaching experience and now the results 4 years in, he was no better a hire than Bzzz was. It was just with Danny, 1) he was replacing someone as hated as Trump is by the left except we were all the left when it came to Bzzz, and 2) he is Danny freaking Manning and it was cool having a college legend coaching our team. Take the emotion out of it and Danny is Bzzzz v.2 through 4 years at least.

It just shows the benefits of not being an asshole. People are far more patient with you and want you to succeed.

Do we really want Ron Wellman hiring another basketball coach though?

That's an impossible question to answer without knowing when he plans to retire. Does he plan to retire next year? Then no. Does he plan to retire in 5 years? Then yes.

I've been trying to give DM the benefit of doubt, it's getting harder. IMHO if he doesn't win at least 20 games , including at least half of his conf. games next year; he should be gone. Maybe the boosters should threaten to end donations until he is gone.

Fire him. Let Wellman hire a coach. I don’t care at this point. Let his deep pocket stooges front the buy out. If the new guy sucks, the new AD can fire him.

I've been trying to give DM the benefit of doubt, it's getting harder. IMHO if he doesn't win at least 20 games , including at least half of his conf. games next year; he should be gone. Maybe the boosters should threaten to end donations until he is gone.

I think 100-300 toilets would better get the point across.

Do we really want Ron Wellman hiring another basketball coach though?

You can keep Manning and know it will suck. You can fire Manning and let Wellman hire another coach and it may suck.

May get better is greater than will suck for sure.

Wellman could close his eyes and pick a name out of a hat and do better than he has so far, so odds are we will have a better coach if manning is fired.

Back