• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Tonight A Referendum On Jeff's Culture?

My belief is that you are not a very good reader
Or
You are totally bullshitting. "Manifest itself at an increased rate of speed." Seriously? So what should we expect by the UNC game? 10-point victory? And the ACC tournament? The Finals OT???

For whatever point it is you are trying to make, or think you are trying to make, or for whatever setup you are trying to catch Bzd in - see Indiana. For everything else, see Indiana.

So in summary, see Indiana

Tom Crean - 1 Final Four
Jeff [Redacted] - 0 NCAA Tournament wins

You're a goof. Tangible evidence:

* We just won a road conference game against a team that had won their first two home conference games fine point. sh!tty team but fine point

* We won our conference opener despite not playing great against what I think is a pretty good team, and we helped propel them into a 4-game funk other than the actual win the rest is subjective

* We've won 2/3 of our games decided by under 8 points. valid point

* The bulk of our scoring is coming from a junior, and two sophmores bulk of scoring came from younger players last year.don't have many option.

* We've already won nearly 50% more games than last year true. we've also had fewer really shitty blow out losses thank goodness

Coaching wise, here is what I've noticed:

* Bzd has slowed the offense after a fast break to reduce the number of possessions in a game, but when the score is close, with about 4 minutes left, he moves CJ to point, Tony to the wing (or on the bench), and has CJ attack early in the shot clock from the top of the key. Since we haven't attacked from the top of the key for the first 35 minutes pr early in the shot clock, it puts the defense off guard and CJ has been very successful getting to the rim and or getting fouled. This is not all CJ, it is also coaching. Now that I've pointed this out to you doof - you watch next close game (hopefully it is tonight)

* Bzd has got Nikita to play inside more and take 5 foot hook shots rather than crazy driving layups. Nikita still takes too many 3s, but 3s are hard to break i too feel like he has played a little more under control lately. opinion.

* Walker is playing the most productive minutes of his career

* We are using Fischer better and better each game. opinion. like most rookies he seems up and down.

* Tony is playing better to his skill set opinion

I don't think Bzd is a world beater by any stretch of the imagination. Again, I do worry that his ceiling as the head of a college basketball program is lower than we need. His weakness is likely in motivating, reaching the heart of his players, but for fuck sake, little tangible evidence? We won 8 games all last year, lost two four star players in Ari and JT and replaced them two 3stars and a 2star. Come on

i agree with your last paragraph. bzz has not shown me anything in his time at wake that makes me hopeful he will accomplish anything more than he has accomplished during the previous stops in his career.

So, I should see Indiana then?

It would help. I think the general consensus among paid pundits is that turning around a program is a steady process, not one that build exponentially. If it did, then you'd see teams zing up and down the Pomegranate rankings or whatever they are called. But teams don't.

You can fall quickly, but you can't really ramp back up very fast. Look at even Baylor, which I think has likely cut corners since one of their player murdered another and the coach covered it up. They hired Drew how many years ago? And he's done remarkably well recruiting wise but it has taken him a chunk of time even though he is getting NBA quality players by the twos per year.

t0803.gif

/dv7

Not sure how to interpret this

i agree with your last paragraph. bzz has not shown me anything in his time at wake that makes me hopeful he will accomplish anything more than he has accomplished during the previous stops in his career.

Appreciate the fair response. My point is that i think a lot of folks on here think Bzd was a bad hire, don't like him, and craft historical numbers to prove their point, ignoring the here and now which is Bzd numbers this year as compared to last year.

It is obvious that Wellman didn't hire Bzd because of the numbers he put up at Colorado or even Air Force. He saw something else - a guy that knows basketball that apparently does things the right way behind the scenes and who might be able to bring all his experience in the pros with his experience building a programat Colorado into beautiful fruition here at Wake. So Wellman ignored the numbers you grasp for - for better of for worse.

Wellman felt that somehow the draw of tobacco road plus Bzd's ties to the NBA will enable him to recruit like he's never recruited before and coach like it is Denver Nuggets 1994 or whatever year it was. That if he has problem relating to players, no problem, we'll get assistants (or we have assistants) that do. Big gamble. 2014 will tell

1. Indentify the existing and define the existing culture

2. Define the new culture

3. Describe the gaps between one and two

4. Ask personnel to commit fully to the new culture

5. For those who cannot or will not commit, help them find a new home where they are appreciated

6. Focus everything on eliminating the gaps between one and two

7. Use setbacks as learning experiences

8. Insiders move steadily closer to new culture

9. Outsiders notice change

10. New culture fully replaces old culture

I think tonight's game is an excellent chance to see where we are with steps 8, 9 and 10.

I also think that we need to stop thinking of Jeff as a basketball coach and more as an agent of change. Charisma, looks, style, personality are all important for those with whom we have sex. To institute the amount of change that Jeff is accomplishing, you need a cold hearted bastard, masquarading as a basketball coach.

1. Indentify the existing and define the existing culture

2. Define the new culture

3. Describe the gaps between one and two

4. Ask personnel to commit fully to the new culture

5. For those who cannot or will not commit, help them find a new home where they are appreciated

6. Focus everything on eliminating the gaps between one and two

7. Use setbacks as learning experiences

8. Insiders move steadily closer to new culture

9. Outsiders notice change

10. New culture fully replaces old culture

I think tonight's game is an excellent chance to see where we are with steps 8, 9 and 10.

I also think that we need to stop thinking of Jeff as a basketball coach and more as an agent of change. Charisma, looks, style, personality are all important for those with whom we have sex. To institute the amount of change that Jeff is accomplishing, you need a cold hearted bastard, masquarading as a basketball coach.

I imagine there's a lot of us that haven't thought of him as a "basketball coach" since he's been here. :thumbsup:

Which three players are you referring to? CJ's leadership has grown exponentially. He wasn't this player last year, and as we've talked about at length elsewhere, his learning curve is abnormally good to say the least. Looked very deferential to a lot of guys last year both on the floor and in the huddle. Doesn't seem to be the case this year.

TC wasn't this player last year, either. I think he's a mediocre PG, but there's no denying how bad he wants it... A year of experience, sure, but this is more than that, in my opinion.

We agree on Ty, but that's already three players who have really thrived with this new group.

So, Travis and Nikita had it to begin with... Not sure that really changes the conversation that we're trying to have here.

Even considering the new guys on our team. They don't play a lot and have been inconsistent, but I've seen nothing to suggest attitude issues or questionable intangibles from Chase, Daniel, or Anthony.

If we can't come to agreement, then I think it's helpful that we talk about your meaning of culture. Not to sound like an Anthropology syllabus, but I think that designation is important, too.

For me, culture in sports is directly related to intangibles (leadership, drive/effort, basketball IQ, etc.)

Plainly we have differing opinions about CJ and TC. I knew CJ would step-up to be a leader after his freshmen season. He just seemed to have "it". He did that last year it just wasn't noticed due to all the struggles on the court. Same with TC. Hell, by merely playing last year he showed a lot of character.

And, culture is character. Has nothing to do with ability to play basketball.

So you need someone with no character to institute character? You and bobknightfan would get along well.

Hopeful that when we get more ACC caliber players next season we will start to be more competitive. Right now we are way behind the talent curve.

Hopeful that when we get more ACC caliber players next season we will start to be more competitive. Right now we are way behind the talent curve.

wouldn't it be nice if we had a basketball coach who showed he could do more with less? Even if you buy the argument that we have dramatically subpar talent (which I don't), who's to say bzz could manage a team full of five star talent, with the egos/early departures/etc, any better?

You mean coaching a team above the sum of their parts?? What a novel concept.

Back