• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Wake Really That Bad at the Start of the 2nd Half? Yeah...

bholliday

Reaction score
It seems to me that Wake routinely comes out flat in the 2nd half and that our opponents either extend their lead or reduce their deficit in the opening minutes of the half. I was curious to see if that is, in fact, true or just a figment of my Buzzout-addled brain.

Turns out - Wake really isn't very good at the start of the 2nd half. The following table shows the points scored by Wake vs by their opponent - up to the point of the first time out of the 2nd half. I did not look at the 5 bunnies at the start of the season - I've looked at the 19 games this season beginning with Kansas.

The results: Wake "lost" 13 out of 19 times. "Won" 5 times. Tied once (with Pitt). For their Away games, Wake's record is abysmal 0-6-1. When considering who took the first time out of the 2nd half, Bz was not quite as "machine-gun" as I thought. Wake took the first time out 6 times, our opponents 2, and the normal media timeout occurred 11 times.

What does this mean? First, it's a snow day and I'm stuck at home. Second, as a rule, WFU really underperforms at the start of the 2nd half. Which in my mind points to one person. The Coach.

Watching last night, I really felt like Wake actually has too much talent to get these same disappointing results game after game. It's time for a change.

The Table:

Points Scored
In 2nd Half as of First Time Out
Wake Forest
Delta
At 1st TOWho TookTime of
OpponentH/AWakeOppof 2nd HalfTimeoutTimeout
KansasN844 Opp16:29
USCN624 Media
TennN210-8 Media
TulaneH613-7 Media
RichH07-7 WFU17:05
St BonH1073 Media
UNCGH761 Media
XavA1012-2 Media
UNCH24-2 WFU18:49
UVAA210-8 Media
PittA11110 Media
NCSUH853 Media
ClemA711-4 WFU16:16
VTA79-2 Opp16:09
NDH04-4 WFU19:19
SyracuseH710-3 Media
GaTechH06-6 WFU18:14
DukeA34-1 WFU17:06
NC StateA48-4 Media
AVG-2.263157895
To First TORecord 5-13-1
First TO AwayRecord 0-6-1
Game ResultRecord 9-10
Who Took First TOWake (6)
Opp (2)
Media (11)

It seems to me that Wake routinely comes out flat in the 2nd half and that our opponents either extend their lead or reduce their deficit in the opening minutes of the half. I was curious to see if that is, in fact, true or just a figment of my Buzzout-addled brain.

Very interesting but the big question is why do they come out flat? Could it be the coach?? :wtf:

You mean Buzz's speeches aren't getting them fired up at halftime? I'm shocked.

"you can get a good look at a butchers ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?" In other words bholiday, you could have just stopped at "yeah..."

This is a common trend for Wake Basketball( football also if you think back). My observation is that when we have really good teams we would win the first 5 minutes of the second half and when our teams are bad(like now) or moderately good we would usually loose the first 5 minutes of the second half. I think it would be interesting to run some numbers on Wake teams from the past and see if there is a correlation to the final outcome of the game. I feel like if you just looked at conference games over the last 25 years it would start to trend.

Back