• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

“ conditioned to be reactionary” yes Hamas is getting a reaction from many like myself
of course - it’s disgusting, horrifying, shocking, and all the other adjectives. I assure you that you can and will still feel all those feelings when you analyze history further back than 2 days to learn how something happened and how it could be prevented in the future. There’s no dignity in only being activated by sensational events like a farm animal being shepherded from field to field by a barking dog.

It’s clear who the audience of mainstream reporting of this incident is, which is to say the kinds of American voters whose consent they can manufacture for more war and war crimes.
Mainstream media? Hamas is posting videos on social media. Also I read all Sort of things especially Al Jazeera. So don’t pull that crap out with me. I will acknowledge bias as in my own where as awful as it is, it is more palatable that innocent civillians are killed collateral damage vs. cutting the head off of a child and posting it online. I’m guilty of this yes.As are most I’m home sick with Covid so I’ve been watching everything. The only coverage I’ve seen that is unhinged is Fox as usual.

Mainstream media? Hamas is posting videos on social media. Also I read all Sort of things especially Al Jazeera. So don’t pull that crap out with me. I will acknowledge bias as in my own where as awful as it is, it is more palatable that innocent civillians are killed collateral damage vs. cutting the head off of a child and posting it online. I’m guilty of this yes.As are most I’m home sick with Covid so I’ve been watching everything. The only coverage I’ve seen that is unhinged is Fox as usual.
Did I write “mainstream media”?

I said how this is being reported, as in the BBC tweet language of saying Palestinians are dead and Israelis have been killed, as in that this is being reported across every network, every politician, random brands and sports leagues chiming in, etc. In order to find objective and historically fact based reporting of this situation, you do need to seek information beyond mainstream methods.

Fwiw, I’d wait on better sourced reporting of this baby killing narrative. The original reporter is now backtracking to say “soldiers believe,” and they’ve got no idea about numbers or what’s anecdotes and what’s real, and sadly, Hamas is just as willing to feed any hasbara that Israel wants to spread.

This country never woke up from 9/11 Bush era nonsense. The playbook is “call it terrorism” and “denounce” and “who can we bomb” from here.

Biden about to address the nation.

Will be interesting how to phrases everything - this is a pretty important broadcast.

The way that we latch onto the sensational is fascinating to me. There have been hundreds of children killed in this conflict in the last 3 days. Shouldn’t each dead child be equally contemptible? It’s like diving into a hot dumpster and digging for the most disgusting piece of garbage.

Here’s the owner of the platform where much of the world’s news gets reported and disseminated

1696961392509.jpeg

Fwiw, I’d wait on better sourced reporting of this baby killing narrative. The original reporter is now backtracking to say “soldiers believe,” and they’ve got no idea about numbers or what’s anecdotes and what’s real, and sadly, Hamas is just as willing to feed any hasbara that Israel wants to spread.

This country never woke up from 9/11 Bush era nonsense. The playbook is “call it terrorism” and “denounce” and “who can we bomb” from here.
I don’t know. After the Iraq debacle I’m not so cynical to believe the majority of Americans are so gullible.

I don’t know. After the Iraq debacle I’m not so cynical to believe the majority of Americans are so gullible.
Well you’re talking about exterminating rats based on what you’ve seen so far, and the architects and cheerleaders of the Iraq war are still in office.

Well you’re talking about exterminating rats based on what you’ve seen so far, and the architects and cheerleaders of the Iraq war are still in office.
I worked in the World Trade Center, and was completely against the war. I think it’s the brutal and intimate nature of this Hamas violence that’s gotten me worked up.

I am unaware any form of non-violent Palestinian resistance and protest that hasn’t been condemned, outlawed, or met with violence. For as much as you could argue that Hamas doesn’t really represent the people of Gaza - who does? Liberation movements in Palestine are illegal by their very nature. It strains logic to prevent nonviolent resistance and yet not expect violent resistance. BDS is illegal here. Boycotting a fucking SodaStream is illegal. Just posting publicly on social media in solidarity with Palestinians can get you fired from most any job, here. In America. Jeremy Corbyn was once the leader of the Labour Party in the UK and his support for Palestine has led to his being outright banned from the party.

How can the outcome of this censorship lead to anything but violence? It’s literally the denial that millions of people exist.

We stand with Israel, law and democracy and against terrorism.

And any scheming bad actors seeking to take advantage of the moment should…not.

Says Biden.

Terrorism is the last life raft of the desperate. It's despicable and it's also entirely predictable given the way the last 70 years in the area have turned out. Agreed it's difficult to have an objective conversation about the region given the tensions. I condemn the attacks on civilians by Hamas and obviously Hamas in power and taking action in the Middle East is fundamentally negative however it's not difficult to see how we got here.

Committing widespread apartheid and contravening international law for decades doesn't pave a productive road for future response.

Back