• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

IT professionals in SF

thewakedeacon

Reaction score
Do any of you work IT in the SF Bay area?

I'm hoping to find a job and move out there. I'm a 2012 Wake Grad with nearly 2 years of Software Development experience.

What sort of software development? Wells Fargo would definitely be one place to look in SF if you want to go corporate.

in sf but not hooked in to any developer networks unfortunately. good luck.

pm olivegardendeac, he might have some advice he could give you.. were you a CS major at wake?

I get the sense that if you have the chops and experience with whatever platform a company's hiring for, you can get hired pretty quick out here in the Bay Area. It's all about being a fit for their needs. There are tons of listings for junior developers.

Where are you based now? If you had some people out here and wanted to make a leap of faith and move west, I'm sure you'd find something.

Do you have your heart set on SF? It's expensive as fuck.

I get the sense that if you have the chops and experience with whatever platform a company's hiring for, you can get hired pretty quick out here in the Bay Area. It's all about being a fit for their needs. There are tons of listings for junior developers.

Where are you based now? If you had some people out here and wanted to make a leap of faith and move west, I'm sure you'd find something.

Do you have your heart set on SF? It's expensive as fuck.

Yeah the demand far outstrips the supply for good developers right now. I think he'd be better off applying long distance and finding a job first though, I know that's what OGD did when he moved out there. There are companies that would defs be willing to provide for moving costs.

Yea, I was a CS major at Wake. Currently living/working in Charlotte. Definitely not willing to move out there without something already in place.

I've applied to quite a few places haven't received many callbacks though.
I'll just keep looking at linkedin, monster, careerbuilders.

Thanks for the help though.

Yea, I was a CS major at Wake. Currently living/working in Charlotte. Definitely not willing to move out there without something already in place.

I would look into getting a usajobs.gov account as well, in case you don't already have one. Lots of IT opportunities on the Federal side out West.

What are you specializing in? Who do you work for now? I applied straight out of grad school (I did undergrad and MS in CS at Wake) with not much real world development experience 2 years ago and pretty much took the first job I could get. It was ok but not great, so I ended up only staying 9 months. Getting the first job is the hardest part. Once you have a job in the area and have a linkedIn with some buzz words and a decent title, you'll start getting recruitment emails everyday. The job market is still very hot--especially for HTML5 type stuff.

the big thing is getting a few recruiters working for you. ogd hook your boy.

I don't think the leap of faith is such a bad idea if you have enough savings to get by for 6 months or so. Obviously it's a risk, but it might be a longshot to expect to get hired 3,000 miles away with little experience. With ~8 years of experience I sometimes found it hard to be taken seriously for jobs that were only 200 miles away. That said I don't know the tech industry at all.

I don't think the leap of faith is such a bad idea if you have enough savings to get by for 6 months or so. Obviously it's a risk, but it might be a longshot to expect to get hired 3,000 miles away with little experience. With ~8 years of experience I sometimes found it hard to be taken seriously for jobs that were only 200 miles away. That said I don't know the tech industry at all.

I think in this case the demand for developers out there makes it favorable. Though I'm not sure if he's targeting just android-specific development. But 6 months of getting by in SF is a lot of money.

yeah youre talking probably at least 10 grand or so for rent alone.

I think in this case the demand for developers out there makes it favorable. Though I'm not sure if he's targeting just android-specific development. But 6 months of getting by in SF is a lot of money.

If he were in Oakland or somewhere on the peninsula it wouldn't be as bad. That's why I suggested he do it if he had someone he could crash with. If he's a recent grad, I'm sure he could live in a house for under a grand a month.

I know when I've made moves (including to SF) without a job in place, it's been infinitely easier to get responses to openings with a local address at the top of my resume.

when are we having the sf meetup? hopefully CLAWSON makes WF football worth grabbing a beer together for.

Agreed. I don't want to see any of you fuckers if I'm forced to watch Buzzball, either.

I have a need for a developer who can round pennies down on a large set of transactions, PM for more info.

Back