• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It remains about the debt

Austerity in the US equals jobs losses, lower profits and a deep recession like in the more than ten countries in Europe who have tried it.

Ah, I get it. If we would just be willing to spend more money to save more government jobs - the same ones we tried to save with the first trillion dollar stimulus - everything would be hunkee doree. Isn't that what the President essentially is proposing? After all the private sector is doing fine per him - which means its the loss of government jobs that is hurting our economy. And what is the biggest problem facing local and state governments? Debt? And why is that? What is it that has local governments reeling and cutting jobs? Answer that one honestly.

No the POTUS suggested a combination of cuts, revenue increases and infrastructure spending.

Romney's plan of cutting taxes and cutting spending will put us into a deep new recession. It will explode the debt to levels we've never seen.

fredgraph.png

Just checking, but this is the debt that it remains about?

No the POTUS suggested a combination of cuts, revenue increases and infrastructure spending.

Romney's plan of cutting taxes and cutting spending will put us into a deep new recession. It will explode the debt to levels we've never seen.

Military spending is spending, too. There's good reason to believe that a Romney government would be less austere than another couple years of Obama + GOP House.

Considering how hard Romney is going to slash taxes, it's not hard to imagine the debt problem getting worse.

Raising taxes on the poor and middle class. Of course, in order for that to matter, his buddies in the private sector would have to hire people.

Haha. OK. Pos repped.

Austerity in the US equals jobs losses, lower profits and a deep recession like in the more than ten countries in Europe who have tried it.

What 10 countries in Europe have tried what you consider to be austerity?

Ah, I get it. If we would just be willing to spend more money to save more government jobs - the same ones we tried to save with the first trillion dollar stimulus - everything would be hunkee doree. Isn't that what the President essentially is proposing? After all the private sector is doing fine per him - which means its the loss of government jobs that is hurting our economy. And what is the biggest problem facing local and state governments? Debt? And why is that? What is it that has local governments reeling and cutting jobs? Answer that one honestly.

Still awaiting an answer from anyone on this. Bueller. Bueller. Bueller.

A budget proposal from the President that promises a band-aid on raising revenues (the Buffet rule is a joke given the debt tsunami we face) and doesn't touch entitlements (also laughable) is nothing more than a populist gimmick.

Paul Ryan is a lot closer to sane than Obama on this issue . . . and we all know how some of you feel about him. Of course those same people also praise Simpson-Bowles. And we all know what Simpson-Bowles have to say about the tenor of Ryan's plan and how seriously he takes this issue. I'd prefer the SB plan because it addresses military spending as well as entitlements (Ryan doesn't really touch military spending - letting it increase modestly). But if no one else is going to even try and tackle the deficit in any meaningful way, then give me Ryan over a do nothing, propose nothing President any day of the week - never mind Harry Fucking Reid who hasn't led the Senate to propose a budget in three fucking years.

Who cares if we can borrow money cheaply today. We've already dug a ditch so incredibly deep we have doomed our kids to a way worse life than the one we enjoy now.

Last edited:
Who cares if we can borrow money cheaply today. We've already dug a ditch so incredibly deep we have doomed our kids to a way worse life than the one we enjoy now.

If kids are doomed I would think we'd want to do something to address youth unemployment and education. These don't seem to be mentioned much by either party, so I can't imagine that concerns about children and young people are actually motivating anything.

If kids are doomed I would think we'd want to do something to address youth unemployment and education. These don't seem to be mentioned much by either party, so I can't imagine that concerns about children and young people are actually motivating anything.

You aren't motivated by the thought of an economy that can't produce growth and jobs because it has to service too much debt? Even if you question the motives of the politicians you'd still be motivated to have them address the debt.

Am I worried about an economy that can't produce growth and jobs because too many people are cashing in interest payments and principle? I dunno, I guess my worries would depend equally on how the private is leveraging or not leveraging or deleveraging at that time. I would not be excited to see households, businesses, and the feds all try to delever at the same time.

Back