• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Italy Trip

This thread is awesome, as my fiance and I are going to Italy for 2 weeks in November for our honeymoon, going to travel down the west coast and to Florence. Does anyone have any thoughts on using a travel agent to find good places, or should we just look on our own? That sounds like an ignorant question kind of, but I've never even used a travel agent before, so I don't know much about the process.

good places for what?

another vote for the hill towns of tuscany here. Montalcino and Montepulciano are both great if you are a wine lover. Siena is a beautiful town and much more manageable than Florence.

My favorite parts of Italy are outside the big cities. There's a great place near Trequanda where we tasted olive oils. There's a great cheese place near Montepulciano. There's a delicious restaurant in Montefollonico called 13 Gobbi - the pasta that is prepared inside a wheel of cheese is not to be missed. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...bi_Montefollonico-Montefollonico_Tuscany.html

This thread is awesome, as my fiance and I are going to Italy for 2 weeks in November for our honeymoon, going to travel down the west coast and to Florence. Does anyone have any thoughts on using a travel agent to find good places, or should we just look on our own? That sounds like an ignorant question kind of, but I've never even used a travel agent before, so I don't know much about the process.

I have never used a travel agent either but since the internet didn't chase them all out of business it might be worth a shot. Has anyone here used one before?

i don't think it applies to anyone on this thread since it's mainly smaller groups, but this house is amazing (and good for americans - working wifi, electricity, etc.)

http://www.ifiordalisi.com/

Where ever you decide to go and Lord knows there are a ton of great choices, consider a Tauck Tour. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny. Been twice and would not go back without them.

good places for what?

Well, obviously sounding lazy, good places to stay/eat/etc. That is, we're obviously busy with wedding planning and stuff, and while we could do all the honeymoon planning ourselves, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have input on nice hotels and whatnot around the places we're going, especially if we stay in areas (like Tuscany or other less populated areas) where it might be tougher to find hotels with a lot of reviews?

Reading what I'm writing and thinking it out, I doubt I'd really have trouble finding good places to stay. But you never know, I've been told agents can sometimes get good deals, find better flight prices somehow, etc. But like I said, never used one before.

Additionally, what is anyone's advice on getting around less populated areas? Car rental? Driver service? Tour guide?

For first time trip I would recommend using a Travel Agent, they can set up excursions from your locale with your own driver as well as get admission tickets as needed, Once you have more experience you may not need one to help, also have good things to say about Tauck, high end places to stay and eat but time to do your own thing also.

My parents and in-laws are obsessed with Italy. I love hearing about the history and beauty but they always seem to talk about the culinary tours the most.

Enjoy your trip!

If anyone ends up in Positano for a day+, you have to do the boat day trip with Gennaro or Salvatore, it is the best 50 euro you will spend - you get 7 hours of awesome scenery, you get to jump in the middle of the Mediterranean in some hidden grotto places, a huge family style lunch with all the wine you can drink. I did the Amalfi tour with Salvatore and have heard the Capri tour is awesome too. Definitely one of the highlights of my last trip - you just walk up to their hut on the concrete beach in Positano and book the ride - they max out at 12 people per day - so book in advance if possible. Here is the website

http://www.gennaroesalvatore.it/

Man are we done with this already? I need to figure out now how best to get into Florence for a few days then move out to Tuscany for the other days. Do I stay in 2 places or just take day trip to Tuscany from Florence?

I went last fall.

Venice 5 days, train to Florence
One night there, car to a Tuscan vineyard (Verrazano), San Gimignano, and Siena,
2 nights in Siena, then a train to Naples and boat to Capri,
2 nights in Capri, then boat and train to Rome for three nights

If you're thinking about Cinqua Terra, you might want to check out the conditions of the towns, trails, and roads. They had really bad mudslides two years ago and we skipped it last fall because of that.

I'll be there visiting family in two weeks. Up north in Como. We may get over to Venice for a day for the festival, and we are going down to Emilia Romagna for a visit for a day with extended family but thats about it this time.

I would echo what others are saying, although I personally love Rome, but its just not the same if you dont know anybody to take you around.

If I had only one trip it would be to Umbria and Tuscany countryside. You could basically throw a dart in southern Tuscany, pick a town, and you will love it. I suggest Arezzo, Volterra, Siena, all stuningly beautiful, anywhere in the chianti region, etc. Rent a car (learn stick if you dont know), stay in small B&Bs, get lost.

Last edited:
Yeah, the way to visit Italy is to have a couple of ideas on where you want to go, get a car and set off in the general direction. Don't be afraid to stop off and visit places along the way. My own experience is that it makes little difference whether you go straight, left or right, to this place or to that place, you will find great places, beautiful scenery, art, history, and great food and wine. Just do like the Italians: take life as it comes and enjoy.

Yeah, the way to visit Italy is to have a couple of ideas on where you want to go, get a car and set off in the general direction. Don't be afraid to stop off and visit places along the way. My own experience is that it makes little difference whether you go straight, left or right, to this place or to that place, you will find great places, beautiful scenery, art, history, and great food and wine. Just do like the Italians: take life as it comes and enjoy.

Great advice. That's what brought me to places like Orvietto, Siena and Bologna. None are big enough to devote a substantial portion of a trip towards, but I'm glad I saw each one.

Back