• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's Gameday

Didn't a fair number of Tulane students transfer to Wake after Katrina?
Assume they're long gone by now.

Football starts today? Well I'll be damned (obligatory, thanks Ron). Who are we playing, what time, and is it on TV?

Sounds like the weather is going to be questionable tonight. Figures after several days of really good weather.

Does Wake still have that Gameday app for mobile devices? I haven't seen any reference to it on the official site.

Yes. Should be working tonight.

Also why do so many people bitch about ESPN3? In our '06 year we played a freaking game against Ole Miss that wasn't even on tv. It's the only way we get to watch our boys and we can watch almost every sport. It's 2016. Doesn't almost everyone have something they can plug into a tv?

Also why do so many people bitch about ESPN3? In our '06 year we played a freaking game against Ole Miss that wasn't even on tv. It's the only way we get to watch our boys and we can watch almost every sport. It's 2016. Doesn't almost everyone have something they can plug into a tv?

Yeah, ESPN3 is so awesome. I don't understand the haters.

I listened to that Ole Miss game on a portable radio while sitting on the hill at a soccer game. I might have been the only student there who knew we were playing a football game. Or cared. Wake wasn't exactly known for its football at that point.

I listened to that Ole Miss game on a portable radio while sitting on the hill at a soccer game. I might have been the only student there who knew we were playing a football game. Or cared. Wake wasn't exactly known for its football at that point.

lol

The saddest thing to me about the current undergraduate experience is the loss of football Saturdays as a major social event. They were huge to me.

Didn't a fair number of Tulane students transfer to Wake after Katrina?
Assume they're long gone by now.

I was a freshman in '05 and I believe we took about 20-25 kids from Tulane (all freshmen). They spent the semester (maybe the year?) at Wake, but I recall Wake did not allow them to continue - when Tulane re-opened they had to go back. Not sure if we took other years, but the freshman would have graduated in '09 (or perhaps '10). Sadly, that was a few years back...

And when was Wake known for football after that point?

Personally, I dislike ESPN3 because a) you can't find it on cable tv and b) it dictates undesirable starting times. Thursday night or 12 noon Sat for example. If I didn't live close to Wake, I might not care because I could watch on my computer. But I do, and thus I do not like. Given the other 3 ESPN networks show games deemed to be of more interest, it sort of screams small time football. I would live with those starting times to be on the Deuce or the U that people actually watch on tv.

ESPN U has Indiana at FIU. That is an interest level biggie!

Personally, I dislike ESPN3 because a) you can't find it on cable tv and b) it dictates undesirable starting times. Thursday night or 12 noon Sat for example. If I didn't live close to Wake, I might not care because I could watch on my computer. But I do, and thus I do not like. Given the other 3 ESPN networks show games deemed to be of more interest, it sort of screams small time football. I would live with those starting times to be on the Deuce or the U that people actually watch on tv.

The major channels show big games involving ranked teams and good match-ups. I think Wake makes several of these a season. And ESPN3 also shows games receiving local/regional coverage (which is "TV"). Given that, I note NCState's game is only on ESPN3 tonight too and most teams situated similarly are mainly in the same boat. It's not like BC is always on ESPN nationally and we're not. Good teams get good TV. So "small time football" is something that has a lot of company.

Back