• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's nearly impossible to work your way through college

In other news, the sky is blue, but interesting to see this piece of common knowledge quantified:

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/04/the-myth-of-working-your-way-through-college/359735/

Paying in-state tuition would require, on average, a full-time minimum wage job for half a year. In 1979 you could pay for in state tuition with a part time summer job.

97c6903e3.png

Hmm. I wonder why costs have sky rocketed so much for education?

None of you worked as hard as football players who don't get anything in return for their hard work. Except for free education, housing and food. And yes, I worked my way through as well, over 30 hours a week loading beer trucks.

None of you worked as hard as football players who don't get anything in return for their hard work. Except for free education, housing and food. And yes, I worked my way through as well, over 30 hours a week loading beer trucks.

Exactly. They need to be paid! :plos:

If it is such a bad deal, don't play football. As a former Div III athlete, I am tired of the whiny over entitled attitude of many Div I athletes. No one put a gun to their/your head and demanded you become involved in such an unfair practice. Please...

Sorry...my sarcasm meter was broken and the idea of paying college athletes bothers me...obviously....haha

Back