• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's time to forgive and move on says Dan

The big individuals among us recognize thatRon Wellman, as the director of athletics who has done so much good for Wake, showed, in this instance, his fallibility by making a decision that backfired. Did that backfire hurt the basketball program? It sure looks that way. And has Wellman come clean by publicity acknowledging his mistake? Well I gave him a chance to yesterday and in that setting at that time, he pretty much declined. He's a proud man, and he's also hurting after accepting the resignation of a man for whom he has great respect and admiration. And in his most private moments, I have to think Wellman recognizes his own responsibility for putting a friend in a position that he wasn't right for. But like I said, Ron Wellman is a proud man and I don't know if he will ever admit to that.*

Easy for Dan to say, he got his shoots in on Ron yesterday at the presser.

The big individuals among us recognize thatRon Wellman, as the director of athletics who has done so much good for Wake, showed, in this instance, his fallibility by making a decision that backfired. Did that backfire hurt the basketball program? It sure looks that way. And has Wellman come clean by publicity acknowledging his mistake? Well I gave him a chance to yesterday and in that setting at that time, he pretty much declined. He's a proud man, and he's also hurting after accepting the resignation of a man for whom he has great respect and admiration. And in his most private moments, I have to think Wellman recognizes his own responsibility for putting a friend in a position that he wasn't right for. But like I said, Ron Wellman is a proud man and I don't know if he will ever admit to that.*

Dan, the business world is not about forgiveness. The business world is about performance and accountability. It is not vitriolic or vengeful to believe that Ron Wellman should be held accountable. He has been paid millions of dollars over the years to manage a big-time business, Wake athletics. And basketball is the flagship "product" of that business. In the corporate world, Wellman would have been fired long ago for wrecking the company's flagship product. So if you think that business principles of accountability should be ignored in the interest of "forgive and forget," then ask Ron Wellman why he merits the big-time corporate salary he collects. C'mon Dan.

Lol. Vitriol. Basically said rw is too proud to admit a horrible mistake costing the wake forest community millions...while lying and talking down to fans and alumni. Maybe wellman could use some pressure.

Even if you were convinced that Jeff [Redacted] had absolutely no business ever being the head basketball coach at Wake, and even if in Ron Wellman you see an arrogance and hubris that rankles you to the bone, do this one thing for me. Try, at least try, to forgive them.

This is a nice little nugget though.

I don't agree with the bill board, rolling of the quad for resignation, or a lot of other banter that occurs on this board.

I do want to say thanks for taking down the bill board today and it would be great if u all would put something positive up there and show this group is moving forward in a positive manner.

As an alumnus and fan, I really felt he was saying we're all irrelevant. That's really the underlying current I got from his comments yesterday. What's ironic is that Blake Absher sent out an email about alumni donations with the title "Alumni Participation Matters."

Uh, Blake? Let Ron and Hatch know.

I'm going to post this one more time, just for fun since I know it won't change anyone's mind on this... Buzz was not Ron's "friend", Ron did not give him the job because they were "buddies", this was not a crony hire. It was a terrible hire and people latched on to their shared time at N'western to try and find a reason for a hire that had no logical basis.

And, by definition, every coach firing is an admission of a mistake by the AD that hired them. I have never heard an AD apologize for that mistake. They are never going to say "yea, I really messed that one up - I never should have hired this clown". They just say it is time to go in a different direction....

I don't agree with the bill board, rolling of the quad for resignation, or a lot of other banter that occurs on this board.

I do want to say thanks for taking down the bill board today and it would be great if u all would put something positive up there and show this group is moving forward in a positive manner.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry, why does Ron Wellman deserve our forgiveness? He's a highly compensated employee of alumni interests. If he acts like an ass and fails at his job, why does he get a pass?

Like what? What kind of billboard do you want to see go up tomorrow? "Thanks for the memories, Jeff." "Good one, Ron." Suggestions welcome...

thanks for your contributions lo' these many years, all 24 posts of them.

I'm just getting over my four year grief process and I have to forgive these guys already? I'll take it under consideration.

Dan probably felt he had to write that piece to start the fence mending with Wellman before the football season starts.

I think that it is important to remember: Wellman was not alone at Wake in his support of Buzz. Those individuals and forces that supported Buzz are still there. They are, however, incompatible with Wake Forest as a top national university.

Sorry but we need to save any billboard time we have left in case RW tries to Bzdelicize this hire.

funny-grumpy-cat-forgive-forget.jpg

Back