• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jameis Winston Isn't the Only Problem Here: An FSU Teacher's Lament

"His teacher, Robert, was also one of Florida State's superstars, a professor in training with a pile of prestigious awards and grants. He is also gay, a fact that "any of my students are gonna figure out pretty quickly," he says. The defensive back took his required writing class a few summers back, and they met early in the course for a one-on-one conference to discuss an assigned essay exploring a significant personal moment in the students' lives.

"It was just me and him in my windowless office on the fourth floor of an empty campus building," Robert says. The player submitted his essay and went down the hall for a drink, while Robert read it and promptly "freaked out."

The paper was "a very graphic, very detailed, very proud telling of how he basically got his high school classmates together to beat the shit out of this 'fag'"—a word used often in the work—"and literally kick him in the teeth to teach him a lesson." They were sick of their mark "acting like a girl," Robert recalls, and so they went about punching him in the face, emptying his gumline. The tone of the player's essay was that "he was very proud of himself. He had taken the initiative to organize this beating."

Robert panicked. The essay's victim "talked sexually, had tight clothes, and had feminine features—some of which could be certainly be said of me," he says. "Why would he give that to me? I took it in the moment as a personal threat."

When the player returned, Robert faked getting an important text and begged out of the conference, then ran down to a mentor's office to report the paper."

That's horrible if true.

the-program.jpg

Very interesting article. However, I do think this line undermines its credibility:

These guys are all starters at Florida State University. They're probably going to play for the national title; they're almost certainly going to go high in the NFL draft. None of them is older than 22, and they already have longer Wikipedia entries than anyone on the FSU faculty.

The details on the faculty were vague, but it doesn't take too many lines to connect the dots on the players involved.

Very interesting article. However, I do think this line undermines its credibility:

These guys are all starters at Florida State University. They're probably going to play for the national title; they're almost certainly going to go high in the NFL draft. None of them is older than 22, and they already have longer Wikipedia entries than anyone on the FSU faculty.

The details on the faculty were vague, but it doesn't take too many lines to connect the dots on the players involved.

Who do you think the players are?

I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing that there is enough data points to significantly lower the pool of possibilities.

My sister was a graduate teachers assistant at FSU while in a doctorate program. She told me many stories consistent with that article.

I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing that there is enough data points to significantly lower the pool of possibilities.

Yeah. That and the passive aggressive nature of the article turned me off. Not to mention it assumes Winston's guilt.

If the person who authored this article teaches writing, Florida State has yet another problem.

Back