• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James K. Polk as President

Consistently ranked in top 10 lists because he did exactly what he said he'd do, to include serving only one term. Judged harshly by some who view 19th century expansionism/imperialism through a late 20th century lens.

Underated Pres because he only served one term but accomplished his goals and stepped down.

Accomplished goals? I'm pretty sure the first term is just for blaming all the bad things on your predecessor.

Also, James K. Polk might have been a good President, but he was THE MAN when it came to founding high schools in the upper Illinois area. Go Dots.

FAVORITE PRESIDENT OF ALL TIME. took this bad boy to the hall of fame in AP US history in high school. prez on prez debate to the death. last one standing goes down in history.
tumblr_mh7zghsXlH1qaewhqo1_1280.jpg

Consistently ranked in top 10 lists because he did exactly what he said he'd do, to include serving only one term. Judged harshly by some who view 19th century expansionism/imperialism through a late 20th century lens.

This always amuses me. Isn't one of.the basic tenets of being great being visionary as well? I'm not judging Polk, but rather referring to your "lens" comment.

Of course, there is the obvious assertion that imperialism and expansionism were, from an American perspective, quite visionary.

Back