• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie luckie/mike eades/jay Bilas

cheeseheads12

Reaction score
With these 3 bozos who couldn’t have predicted this shit show? This is why I hate college basketball.

Maybe they will ease up in the second half-- or just call the fouls on Tenn :0

I'm lost as to how Jay Bilas has made any bad officiating calls.

Could have gone the day without posting on the Board but I fucking came here to say these fucking referees are fucking awful

ANd do they even show replay any more (none on phantom fouls) or has ESPN and their drunk ass boss cut so much that they can't afford camera people?

That was just an add on. I can’t stand his condescending attitude. Really nothing to do with today.

Yeah Bilas is solid. And his kid plays for Wake. Calling him out doesn't make much sense, especially when he's complained that 3 or so calls should have been no-calls.

Yeah Bilas is solid. And his kid plays for Wake. Calling him out doesn't make much sense, especially when he's complained that 3 or so calls should have been no-calls.

+1

Bilas is a condescending prick. My favorite was the comment about the Tenn big guy - referring to the great AAU coaching the kid received. When the other announcer didn’t take the bait, he asks - aren’t you going to ask me who his coach was, well it was me of course.

Bilas is a dookie but he is the best announcer in the game right now. I don't agree with some of his opinions about the NCAA and players, etc. but he is smart and funny and pretty self-deprecating.

Game was officiated just fine. William "Peanut" Covington, Mike Eades & Jamie Luckie are 3 of the best and all 3 were in the Regionals or Final Four last year. They called plenty of illegal picks [not moving screens as you that don't know the rules want to call them], many many walks on both teams and they had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game. We had 20 turnovers and could not shoot the ball nor play defense. Enough said.

Game was officiated just fine. William "Peanut" Covington, Mike Eades & Jamie Luckie are 3 of the best and all 3 were in the Regionals or Final Four last year. They called plenty of illegal picks [not moving screens as you that don't know the rules want to call them], many many walks on both teams and they had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game. We had 20 turnovers and could not shoot the ball nor play defense. Enough said.

No one claimed they cost us the game. They just whistled every little thing they saw. And a few things they didn't. Makes for a terrible flow and hard to watch game.

Yeah if anything the refs helped us out calling it close early. Kept two of their best players on the sideline.

Strongly disagree about Bilas being a "condescending prick" but whatever. He's been a good dude the couple of times I've met him, plus he got heckled by some drunken douchebag and handled it really well. He's always been pretty high on the Deacs even before his son applied. Weird as hell to shit on him, but it's the internets I guess.

Back to the refs - I will say the opening of the game was great in my opinion. Our staff had seen that cheap shit Tennessee likes to do at the tip, told the refs to watch for it, and they had 2 fouls to choose from as soon as the ball was released as their guys hip-checked the crap out of us. You could tell they thought it was dirty and kinda wanted to call a tech on it but couldn't. Anyway, I hate that kind of shit so even if it led to things being called too closely in the first half I thought it was a good call.

No one claimed they cost us the game. They just whistled every little thing they saw. And a few things they didn't. Makes for a terrible flow and hard to watch game.

That is what they are supposed to be doing per the rule book and the points of emphasis. That is what the coaches & NCAA put in there several years ago to get rid of the bump & grind of the old style game and get back to an actual flow of a game. They have put the arc back to 4 feet to keep teams from the easy fake charges close to the basket, thus opening up the lane for offenses to be able to attack the basket. They have cut back on grinding out on the guards so they can't dribble-drive. They have cut out all the hedge-bumps from the big guys jumping out on the guards to bump them off their paths. All these things are points of emphasis.

Yes, lots of whistles--but that is what they are supposed to be doing & until teams learn to quit playing defense that way, you will see lots of fouls. They put about 35 rule changes in for the 2016-17 season just for this purpose. The real buzz word for it was "Freedom of Movement". As J.D. Collins, the NCAA coordinator said in his statement, less brute force & better flow to the game. I think that is what you are seeing called consistently because if these guys want to advance to post season tournament play themselves, they have to be calling it during the regular season.

Last edited:

TheReff has never met a ref who wasn’t “one of the best”.

That is what they are supposed to be doing per the rule book and the points of emphasis. That is what the coaches & NCAA put in there several years ago to get rid of the bump & grind of the old style game and get back to an actual flow of a game. They have put the arc back to 4 feet to keep teams from the easy fake charges close to the basket, thus opening up the lane for offenses to be able to attack the basket. They have cut back on grinding out on the guards so they can't dribble-drive. They have cut out all the hedge-bumps from the big guys jumping out on the guards to bump them off their paths. All these things are points of emphasis.

Yes, lots of whistles--but that is what they are supposed to be doing & until teams learn to quit playing defense that way, you will see lots of fouls. They put about 35 rule changes in for the 2016-17 season just for this purpose. The real buzz word for it was "Freedom of Movement". As J.D. Collins, the NCAA coordinator said in his statement, less brute force & better flow to the game. I think that is what you are seeing called consistently because if these guys want to advance to post season tournament play themselves, they have to be calling it during the regular season.

Because a game involving 18-22 year olds has to be played to the standards of a bunch of old men.

Eades actually is one of the best though. Arguably the best ref in the ACC

Hahahah! Sorry but no. Ever since the 03 wake/duke game where he and his crew were responsible for 56 fouls I’ve never been able to take him seriously. That game he was responsible for the classic phantom 5th foul on JGray and countless others. Anyone trying to argue that Eades and luckie don't enjoy announcing their presence game in game out haven’t been around the college game/ACC until recently. These guys are on the same level as Walt Anderson and company. And just to be clear, in no way did they influence the result of the game vs the Vols.

Bilas is a dookie but he is the best announcer in the game right now. I don't agree with some of his opinions about the NCAA and players, etc. but he is smart and funny and pretty self-deprecating.

My estimation of Bilas went up before the game. As Randolph Childress left the court headed back to the locker room he came up behind where Bilas was seated getting ready to do the pre-game talking head stuff. Chill rubbed Bilas' bald head and walked by with a smile and a wave. Jay waved back. If Chill is good with him, that's good enough for me.

Back