• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman vs. Utah State 401 passing yards, #9 all time

Great WRs too.

More points that we would have gotten otherwise. We scored 26, 23, and 23 points in those last three games of Rusty’s career. Our previous highs were 22 in the opening loss to App and 17 in a loss at UVA. The no huddle was entertaining too.

Last edited:
That was a team with bad defense and no running game.

HaHa, absolutely no running game. Every running play was like the first three tries on the goal line during the last drive against Utah State.

Rusty was lucky to live through that season. He got hit on 2 out of every three dropbacks. And he dropped back about 60 times per game.

More points that we would have gotten otherwise. We scored 26, 23, and 23 points in those last three games of Rusty’s career. Our previous highs were 22 in the opening loss to App and 17 in a loss at UVA. The no huddle was entertaining too.

meh

Agreed. Not sure I understand all the negative comments about Love. Yes he threw 3 pics, but he has a great arm and gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds, which is why we never got any pressure on him.

Love's arm and accuracy were legit pro quality.

Love's arm and accuracy were legit pro quality.

Yeah. He had a few bad throws and a lot of good ones. Newman put up yards but rarely took his eyes of his first read. Second read sometimes. Third read meant a sack. Credit the WRs for making the first read the only one he needed most of the time. His one perfect throw (the winning one) was one he didn’t have to make but he was fixed on throwing it to that side with two WR options.

We ran a very vanilla offense. I don’t know if that is by design or necessity.

I don’t know but am assuming, consistent with the past, that DC doesn’t want to run more than vanilla in first games so he can solidly teach fundamentals of RPO (lots of correctable mistakes clearly visible to players on actual game film). Hence, he stuck with RPO in short yardage and against stacked box to the bitter end. It’s risky but you’re telling your players they can actually be successful with correct execution and you as coach are extremely confident you’ve got the players who can perform.

Good points E.L.C. and DeacAssured. Keep it simple vs Rice and then unload on the 'holes

I don’t know but am assuming, consistent with the past, that DC doesn’t want to run more than vanilla in first games so he can solidly teach fundamentals of RPO (lots of correctable mistakes clearly visible to players on actual game film). Hence, he stuck with RPO in short yardage and against stacked box to the bitter end. It’s risky but you’re telling your players they can actually be successful with correct execution and you as coach are extremely confident you’ve got the players who can perform.

I believe this is probably the case as well but they likely would have lost had they not decided to change it up on the 4th down at the end.

Newman passed Hartman vs. Tulane last year and Wolford vs. A&M in the Belk Bowl for 9th most passing yards in a game. Amazing performance!
https://godeacs.com/documents/2019/8/5//Pages65_95.pdf?id=9716

The game has really changed over the years. So much more offense today. Wake's highest NFL draft pick ever, Norm Snead, was the first QB taken in the 1961 NFL draft (2nd pick overall, after RB Tommy Mason from Tulane, if you can believe that). During his senior year at WF, Snead only passed for 1,676 yards for the entire season. Also, Tommy Mason, that RB taken 1st overall, only rushed for 663 yards for the entire season.

Love is good; but Jamie out played him. I haven't heard anyone actually say that; but contrary to the hype Newman was the better QB on Friday night.

I’ve said this multiple times since Friday.

Back