• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

January 26th, 1977

Good story about Schellenberg but the timing is off. Deano coached the '76 Olympic team to the Gold Medal so the tryouts you refer to would've been a year earlier.

Tacy had some nice wins at Carmichael.

Carmichael was home away from home for Carl Tacy.

Skip Brown was Phil Ford's worse nightmare. It seemed like everytime Dean put them in the four-corners Skip would steal the ball.

Schellenberg did get stiffed by Dean, and made him pay every chance he could. Dude was not especially fast but he had a sweet release and could shoot over most guards. He wasn't bad at hearts, or so I was told.

Wasn't that game before the Super Bowl that year. Always thought it was a good warm up for the Football game later. I was in my 4th year at UNC Dental School that year and was running laps on the track behind Carmichael as the students started entering the arena, got home to watch most of the game on TV after my run.

That 1977 game in Carmichael was my junior year. At my second job out of school, I worked with a guy who was at UNC the same years I was at Wake. He told me once that he used to fear Wake more than anyone in the league.

Carmichael was home away from home for Carl Tacy.

Skip Brown was Phil Ford's worse nightmare. It seemed like everytime Dean put them in the four-corners Skip would steal the ball.

Schellenberg did get stiffed by Dean, and made him pay every chance he could. Dude was not especially fast but he had a sweet release and could shoot over most guards. He wasn't bad at hearts, or so I was told.

I'm pretty sure it was Frank Johnson who was Ford's biggest nightmare.

I'm pretty sure it was Frank Johnson who was Ford's biggest nightmare.

Well, I guess you'd have to ask Phil Ford, but he and Skip went head to head against each other for three years. Johnson was younger and during Frank's first year, Skip was still there. I remember some epic Skip Brown/Phil Ford duels.

I've heard that from several Carolina people during that time period. That was Carl Tacy. He had 10 wins over ranked Carolina teams....and 6 losses by 3 points or less.

Tacy was 9-23 (I couldn't find the results of a couple games in 75' (i think)) against Carolina during his career.

Odom was 8-21

Skip was 6-4

Dino was 2-2

As I recall there was lots of snow on the quad as we celebrated that win back in W-S...'bout got my ass whooped because of an errant firecracker...another story for another time...good times.

Tacy won 10 games against Carolina. Don't you have Charlie Board's site? I thought that everyone had that.

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/game.results/WFU

Must have missed one. According to that site and my counting Carl was 10-27 (27%).

Odom was 8-21 (27.5%)

Skip/Dino were 8-6 (57%)*

*Obviously a different era. Carolina has had more dips this century than they ever had previously and some years we only play them once. A lot different than the 60's and 70's when we might play them 4 times in a season.

Carl had some success for sure but once again it has been overstated. He was not some Carolina Killer.

And most of those wins came when we had NBA talent on our team.

Am I correct that Schellenberg also played baseball at Wake, and if so was he any good?

Jerry had a younger brother, Larry, who played at the University of Dayton and was a starter on UD's 1984 Elite 8 team.

Just for bfk, Larry's HC at UD was Don Donoher - assistant coach on Knight's 1984 Olympic team. While Donoher had a very mellow personality, pretty much the anti-Knight, they shared the same value of fundamental team basketball. 2 of Schellenberg's UD teammates are now head college coaches.

Anthony Grant - Alabama
Damon Goodwin - Capital - Division 3, but named Coach of the year in his conference 6 times and has a 16 year winning % of 63.3%.

Must have missed one. According to that site and my counting Carl was 10-27 (27%).

Odom was 8-21 (27.5%)

Skip/Dino were 8-6 (57%)*

*Obviously a different era. Carolina has had more dips this century than they ever had previously and some years we only play them once. A lot different than the 60's and 70's when we might play them 4 times in a season.

Carl had some success for sure but once again it has been overstated. He was not some Carolina Killer.

And most of those wins came when we had NBA talent on our team.

Skip/Dino were 8 - 6 against Carolina. No way!! bkf, set this fool straight.

37 years ago was a great day for Wake Forest basketball....and I got to enjoy it from the unique position of sitting right in the middle of the UNC student section at Carmichael Auditorium. My sister was a senior at Carolina at the time, and she got a ticket for me in the student section. The Tar Heels were ranked #4 in the nation. Dean Smith had recently been named as the Olympic Games basketball coach and had released his list of local players who he had invited to try out for the team. There were several Carolina players on it, including Phil Ford, of course....but one Jerry Schellenberg was nowhere to be found on the list.

We played poorly for much of that game and trailed by 15 points early in the 2nd half. That 1977 team had tremendous character, though...as later evidenced by their 13-point 2nd half comeback in the NCAA Tournament against 26-1 Arkansas...and battled back as the 2nd half wore on. We got the ball back, trailing by 66-65 with 20-some seconds left after UNC's Bill Buckley missed two straight free throws. That same Jerry Schellenberg...whom Dean had snubbed for the Olympic tryouts...was fouled with about 10 seconds to play. Smith called a timeout to "ice" him before his 1+1 attempt. I wasn't sitting all that far from the Wake bench and my eyes never left Schellenberg during that timeout. That guy was one of the greatest competetors who ever played for WF (he was later the main guy who simply refused to let us lose in the 2nd half of that game against Arkansas)...and I knew he was going to make both of those shots.

He calmly sank both of them and we won 67-66.....leaving all those Carolina students & fans in a total state of shock. Just a wonderful, wonderful night!

Funny that your post was way too long and boring for me to read, but the one word you bolded was misspelled.

Back