• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle

Unlike must of our fanbase, you still seem to believe Bzz is going to rebuild the team. The rest of us gave up on that long ago.

Battle is smart...he'll jet as soon as he can.

What are Battle's chances of succeeding Bzz, if Bzz were to leave or be fired in the next 2 years?

Also, I believe that Bzz will "rebuild" our program, but only to the heights of a mediocre bubble/NIT team who scraps out 18-20 wins a season, and looks like shit doing it. The students will never regain the fervor they reached during the best of the Skip/Dino years and we will never compete with UNC/Duke, yet a legion of our fanbase will grovel at his Bzz's feet and kiss the ring, because he wins "the right way" and none of his recruits dare to leave early for the NBA.

Last edited:
Also, I believe that Bzz will "rebuild" our program, but only to the heights of a mediocre bubble/NIT team who scraps out 18-20 wins a season, and looks like shit doing it. The students will never regain the fervor they reached during the best of the Skip/Dino years and we will never compete with UNC/Duke, yet a legion of our fanbase will grovel at his Bzz's feet and kiss the ring, because he wins "the right way" and none of his recruits dare to leave early for the NBA.

This is exactly what I think. It is why I have lost much of my passion for WFU basketball. I also believe much (though not all) of the winning right nonsense is a canard to launder bad results. We are horrible, but by golly we don't have to cheat to be horrible. Yawn.

What are Battle's chances of succeeding Bzz, if Bzz were to leave or be fired in the next 2 years?

I'm not sure I believe that. Personally, I expect the team to get back to NCAA status. (I've stated in the past that I expect that progression next season, and will be disappointed with Bz for less.) I also can't see anybody "groveling at his feet" for less, given how fans of the program have been (understandably) treating him.

It is funny, though, that everything you say there would generally be true about Grobe, despite most of the fanbase considering him off-limits.

It is funny, though, that everything you say there would generally be true about Grobe, despite most of the fanbase considering him off-limits.

No, that's the opposite of Jim Grobe. Grobe has made and won more bowl games than any other coach in Wake history. Grobe has recruited better than any coach in Wake history, Grobe beats most of our rivals every year, and also competes with the very best teams in our league who have much better recruits than ours.

You continually show that your WFU sports expectations are completely out of whack. Jim Grobe has outperformed our historical standards, and raised our expectations, Bzz has vastly underperformed, and completely lowered our (your) standards. You haven't done so on this thread, but I find it very confusing that you show much more disappointment with Grobe than you do Bzz, when they both have the same level of recruits, and both compete against more talented teams.

Last edited:
So, Dino should have said no too and he would get the same accolades? Instead he's the bane of this board?

No, that's the opposite of Jim Grobe. Grobe has made and won more bowl games than any other coach in Wake history. Grobe has recruited better than any coach in Wake history, Grobe beats most of our rivals every year, and also competes with the very best teams in our league who have much better recruits than ours.

You continually show that your WFU sports expectations are completely out of whack. Jim Grobe has outperformed our historical standards, and raised our expectations, Bzz has vastly underperformed, and completely lowered our (your) standards. You haven't done so on this thread, but I find it very confusing that you show much more disappointment with Grobe than you do Bzz, when they both have the same level of recruits, and both compete against more talented teams.
I don't think I've ever shown any disappointment in Grobe. I love having him as a coach, and right now, I would call anybody that supports his being bad for the program absolutely batshit crazy.

I was just making an observation.

This is exactly what I think. It is why I have lost much of my passion for WFU basketball. I also believe much (though not all) of the winning right nonsense is a canard to launder bad results. We are horrible, but by golly we don't have to cheat to be horrible. Yawn.

The "holier than thou" rhetoric spewed forth by certain people makes me vomit in my own mouth.

" Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
Also, I believe that Bzz will "rebuild" our program, but only to the heights of a mediocre bubble/NIT team who scraps out 18-20 wins a season, and looks like shit doing it. The students will never regain the fervor they reached during the best of the Skip/Dino years and we will never compete with UNC/Duke, yet a legion of our fanbase will grovel at his Bzz's feet and kiss the ring, because he wins "the right way" and none of his recruits dare to leave early for the NBA."

I'm still looking for the first person who "grovels" at [Redacted]'s feet". This is the Buzzkillers BS.

To them if you don't hate the guy beyond any rational actions, you are "grovelling at his feet".

There were lots of problems with Dino.

"I'm still looking for the first person who "grovels" at [Redacted]'s feet". This is the Buzzkillers BS.

To them if you don't hate the guy beyond any rational actions, you are "grovelling at his feet".

There were lots of problems with Dino.

I've been pretty consistent on my feelings about Buzz. He has no business being the head basketball coach at WFU. Zero. None. But I don't hate him at all. All he did was accept a gift that was given to him. If I had enough passion about WFU basketball to work up some anger, I would be angry at Wellman for believing this is the best we can do.

My stance is very clear. If [Redacted] doesn't reach a certain level, he should be gone.

Conversely, if we make The Dance next year and sign a couple of good players, will you think [Redacted] has earned the job?

That would be turning around a high D1 program in two years.

My stance is very clear. If [Redacted] doesn't reach a certain level, he should be gone.

Conversely, if we make The Dance next year and sign a couple of good players, will you think [Redacted] has earned the job?

That would be turning around a high D1 program in two years.

I think you should have to earn the WFU job before you get it. That's the difference in me, on the one hand, and you and Ron Wellman on the other.

I think you should have to earn the WFU job before you get it. That's the difference in me, on the one hand, and you and Ron Wellman on the other.

AGAIN, where did I say he deserved or had "earned" the job?

He has the job. We have to with reality.

AGAIN, I'll ask you the question.

If we make The Dance next year will you give him props?

AGAIN, where did I say he deserved or had "earned" the job?

He has the job. We have to with reality.

AGAIN, I'll ask you the question.

If we make The Dance next year will you give him props?

I would agree that he has made progress. I would not give him the Nobel Prize for doing his job. WFU should be in the dance almost every year.

My bigger concern is that WFU has given up trying to win the tournament and settled for trying to make the tournament.

If the Deacons make the Dance, we all should give him props. Not too many believe they'll get there.

If the Deacons make the Dance, we all should give him props. Not too many believe they'll get there.

If we make it next year then we will have done slightly better than I think we will. I anticipate us being on the bubble.

BTTT.

Thank you Jeff Battle for sticking with us through the Bzzzzzzzzdelik years. AND everything before that. Class act.

Yeah, wish him the best of luck. Where is he headed, Providence?

Yeah, wish him the best of luck. Where is he headed, Providence?

Doesn't seem to be a spot on the staff. Will be interesting to follow.

Marshall, his alma mater, hasn't hired a head coach yet. That's where my money is at.

Back