• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Bezos (Amazon) buys the Washington Post

Surprised it's worth so little. Newspapers just don't have the value they once did.

Didn't the Daily Beast and Newsweek already try this and fail miserably?

@AdamKilgoreWP
So, it turns out the Washington Post is worth two Jayson Werths.

Reactions: BDL
LostLettermen.com ‏@LostLettermen 52m
Food for thought: The Washington Post just sold for $50 million less than Bleacher Report.

I'm glad to see that good businessmen like Bezos and Buffett still believe in newspapers, though Buffett has stuck to ones in smaller communities.

The dreamer in me hopes he's got some neat ideas up his sleeve. The realist in me feels bad that he probably just wasted a lot of money, with more to come.

Do they believe in newspapers themselves or the brand, assets, resources, and potential to profit in a digital/mobile format?

Not to mention a media wing for a global corporate power.

Do they believe in newspapers themselves or the brand, assets, resources, and potential to profit in a digital/mobile format?

I would say you're right - he likely believes in the evolving definition of what a newspaper, or more accurately, news organization, is, which would include digital/mobile, etc. I was referring to "newspaper" more in the sense of how the stories are sourced, put together, etc.

Ah yes. As opposed to blogs or news gathering sites like HuffPost or Drudge. Gotcha.

Doesn't WaPo Inc also own Kaplan? I feel like that's the money maker as the Post continues to decline in circulation.

I don't think he'll particularly care if this makes money. The guy is spending millions to build a clock inside a mountain and a spaceship. I think he's just buying something he likes, almost as a hobby. It also could be that he's a sensitive to the criticism he gets for putting retailers and book publishers out of business. Now he can be the good guy for saving an American institution.

Doesn't WaPo Inc also own Kaplan? I feel like that's the money maker as the Post continues to decline in circulation.

Bezos only bought the newspaper. The Grahams keep Kaplan and the other assets.

ah gotcha. too bad, honestly. hate that for profit university shit they've turned into these days. not to say that bezos would have necessarily done things differently.

just reading up a bit more, i didn't realize the Post won 6 pulitzers in 2008. that's crazy.

Not to mention a media wing for a global corporate power.

It's very convenient to control the newspaper that is read by the people in power.

Bezos is a big Libertarian and the Washington Post is pretty liberal.

Yep. And has a reputation for investigating people in power.

Back