• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jerry Schellenberg

nvadeac

Reaction score
Alright Deacon fans (particularly us more vintage ones); one of our greatest needs some help. Jerry led us to 3 straight Big Four titles, knocked off ole Dean and the Boys in Chapel Hill (and told him to sit down!) and W-S, was a leader in the '77 Final Four run that came up just short to Marquette and Butch Lee and was a great baseball pitcher and home run hitter too as I recall. Here's a GoFundMe page for Jerry. Let's help him out.

https://www.gofundme.com/ws9ubu-jerry039s-car

https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=homepage_norma/search&term=jerry schellenberg

Schellenberg was part of the team that holds the Wake single game scoring record.

Guess which team gave up the most points ever in a single game to Wake.

Schellenberg was part of the team that holds the Wake single game scoring record.

The Deacs beat the Blue Devils 122-109 at the old Memorial Coliseum in 1975.

Schellenberg was MVP of the Big 4 Tournament one year after he lit up Dean Smith and the Holes for 31.

Schellenberg was MVP of the Big 4 Tournament one year after he lit up Dean Smith and the Holes for 31.

Yes. The game was a track meet. Pre shot clock era. Pre three point line. Wake scored over 3 points per minute, and Duke almost as many. Wake had six players score double figures.

That's sad that he is in such a dire financial situation at his age.

Jerry was a 2 time MVP of the Big Four Tournament. In addition to his own health problems, he has endured more sickness to close family members than any man should have to.

I remember Duke coach Bill Foster quoted wondering, “How do you score 109 points and lose?”

With no 3 point line.

That's sad that he is in such a dire financial situation at his age.

I hope is on SSD given his health problems. He’s 63 so that could allow him to get his full SS benefit without waiting until he is 66+. I think he has struggled financially for a long time. He’s a great guy though and one of the best WF players ever.

They’re probably moon, who is subhuman lately.

What kind of person would post those tags about a former Deacon great who has major health issues and is down on his luck. That’s worse than shameful. It’s pathetic. But for the grace of God, you could be in his situation.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of online begging but I will make a donation. Jerry was in my class. He came to the 40th reunion and was pretty big then. Sounds like his health has worsened. Many fond memories of watching him play. He was built like a white Charles Barclay and used his big butt to deftly keep Phil Ford away while dribbling.

A few years years ago I sat next to John Kuesters on a plane, who was a guard at UNC in mid 70's. John was also from Indiana like Jerry and they played against each other in high school before coming to the ACC. When I brought up Jerry, he said "that guy started shooting from the parking lot while getting off the bus". Hope some other oldies help out the cause.

Last edited:
Jerry is a great person. Knew him at Wake and he will always be one of my favorites. Donate !!

Back